ArtRage 5 Product PageArtRage Lite Product PageArtRage for iOS Product PageArtRage for Android Product PageArtRage  Android Oil Painter Free Product PageArtRage  Free Demos Page

Thread: King of Fools

King of Fools

It's been a while since I played in ArtRage, but it is always a pleasure to return. This started as a non specific unplanned doodle with tools I have criminally neglected so far - most of all the watercolour brush. In the end it turned into a concept which is worth exploring further.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	King-of-Fools.jpg 
Views:	41 
Size:	402.6 KB 
ID:	87378

Always a treat to see your work.

So is he holding Mars' shield and spear Male symbol in one hand and the sad clown sort of goofy jester in the other? Sort of defines more than a few of us I should think. Love the donkey ears.

So this came bubbling up out of your AR like one of the old Easter Eggs. Tycho reincarnated. . . if you recall the Rage Boys' mascot in the early days. . .

Very wild. Thanks for posting.

"Not a bit is wasted and the best is yet to come. . ." -- remembered from a dream

I could see this character in Alice in Wonderland!
    June.

Oh God of homeless things, look down
    And try to ease the way
    Of all the little weary paws
    That walk the world
    today.
    -
    Unknown.

http://enug66.deviantart.com/gallery/

Thanks both!
    D Akey - at some stage in the random process I wondered if there was a medieval symbol for the fool to decorate him with - the closest I found was this circle and arrow, but it is the Tarot card association of the the fool with Uranus not Mars, who knew, not me, you learn something new every day !
    Cheers

Quote Originally Posted by Boxy View Post
    D Akey - at some stage in the random process I wondered if there was a medieval symbol for the fool to decorate him with - the closest I found was this circle and arrow, but it is the Tarot card association of the the fool with Uranus not Mars, who knew, not me, you learn something new every day !
    Cheers
    More the fool I. What I find intriguing is that the distinction between the Male Mars symbol and Uranus. Clearly the archetype for the male is the god Mars. But the symbol is a shield and spear which is how we call it in mixed company. Still, one doesn't have to reach too far to see it's also derived from anatomy. Now that I know the symbol for Uranus, I can see that they just added a little black dot, it occurs to me that both are striving for base anatomical correctness. As they said in high school, "Speaking of the planets, what do you think of Uranus as a hole?. . . ya, I mean a whole?"

The zodiacal symbol for the prat fall in the house of cards. . . The Fool? Goofy as charged. . .

Thanks for the lesson. I never knew either.
    Last edited by D Akey; 08-29-2015 at 03:22 AM.
    "Not a bit is wasted and the best is yet to come. . ." -- remembered from a dream

Remarkable. I love painting like this.

Quote Originally Posted by D Akey View Post
    More the fool I. What I find intriguing is that the distinction between the Male Mars symbol and Uranus. Clearly the archetype for the male is the god Mars. But the symbol is a shield and spear which is how we call it in mixed company. Still, one doesn't have to reach too far to see it's also derived from anatomy. Now that I know the symbol for Uranus, I can see that they just added a little black dot, it occurs to me that both are striving for base anatomical correctness. As they said in high school, "Speaking of the planets, what do you think of Uranus as a hole?. . . ya, I mean a whole?"

The zodiacal symbol for the prat fall in the house of cards. . . The Fool? Goofy as charged. . .

Thanks for the lesson. I never knew either.
    Haha, and we try so hard to pronounce it differently these days, yurr-a-nuss.

Oh the donkey ears were another thing I learned, apparently they came before the classic jester head gear we know today.

Quote Originally Posted by Bobbi View Post
    Remarkable. I love painting like this.
    Thanks Bobbi

Boxy, have always loved your work, very nice to see you again

Quote Originally Posted by pat1940 View Post
    Boxy, have always loved your work, very nice to see you again
    Thank you Pat, nice to see you too.