Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Jasper

Quote Originally Posted by Gms9810 View Post
    I'm really sorry about your cat. Here I was going on about your drawing while your cat way sick.. At the time I was so impressed I didn't read all of your post. I wish I could delete the rests of my post but the system won't let me. Please forgive my lack of attention.
    Dear Gms please don't worry about it - I certainly didn't.

Thank you to Kenmo and David too - I still get teary if I dwell on Jasper too much but the kittens are making us laugh - as I said earlier - I now have the canvas of this painting of Jasper, watching me while I'm at my computer.
    June.

Oh God of homeless things, look down
    And try to ease the way
    Of all the little weary paws
    That walk the world
    today.
    -
    Unknown.

http://enug66.deviantart.com/gallery/

I would hate to sound like i am a cold hearted person and hopefully i am not coming off this way but there is way too much ignorance on the issue of diabetes. Diabetes is a dietary related condition so it is caused by certain types of foods that are starchy, sugary, simple carbohydrates and the like. It is curable. I mean has anyone ever considered that fact as to why there is too much glucose in the blood that leads to this? Seems like common sense to me. It just does not appear there from nothing, something has to be the cause of high blood sugar so it seems to me it is preventative. I am no doctor but i know i can think and we do have the capability of healing ourselves. My dad is diabetic but i observed over time he increased his intake of starchy foods, little to no produce, lessened to meat intake which is good, still too much dairy but his main group of foods are mostly starchy foods. Breads, tortillas, corn, cakes, cookies, pastas and flour. The human body will convert these foods into sugar and raise insulin levels therefore resulting into a form of diabetes.

Don't even get me started on cancer, an auto-immune condition of the bodies attempt to heal itself due to nutrient deficiencies.

We live in a world were we are too helpless to help ourselves and one another just like we expect our silly politicians to have our answers for us as if they are somehow better then us.

Please, consider these thoughts.

Not to diminish the severity of your comment, since I can kinda see that the first sentence in this thread could be misleading, I believe that Jasper was her beloved cat and that's why she said it the way she did. One can kind of see them as human in many ways.

Good that at least this discussion brought that awareness about that nasty disease in humans forward.

Don't mean to jump in, June, but I thought to get it clarified early on.
    "Not a bit is wasted and the best is yet to come. . ." -- remembered from a dream

Thanks for jumping in DA - I am puzzled what led the poster to make these comments. It might be confusion over the dialogue between Gms and me. As the original reply has been deleted it may have been difficult to follow the 'conversation'. When I said:-
    Dear Gms please don't worry about it - I certainly didn't.
    I was telling him not to worry about the content of his now deleted post as it hadn't offended me.

As for the subject, diabetes - as pointed out we are talking about a cat and not a human. In consultation with the vet it was considered more humane not to put Jasper thru the trauma of daily blood tests and twice daily insulin injections. He was on prescription food developed for diabetic cats. He was certainly not eating -
    Breads, tortillas, corn, cakes, cookies, pastas and flour
    In humans there is also diabetes type 1 often referred to as juvenile diabetes and it is not diet related which can be the case with diabetes type 2.
    June.

And try to ease the way
    That walk the world
    today.
    -
    Unknown.

I suppose if someone reading got as far as the first line they would have heard "My precious boy Jasper was diagnosed this morning with diabetes. As with humans, there is no cure but a lifetime of daily insulin injections. . ."

The next line makes it clear that you're talking about a cat, but clearly the reader had a big personal charge on how bad diabetes can be. Because of the health issues in their own family, they probably stopped reading when an internal bubble of sorrow popped and they started spontaneously grieving for the dear one in their own life who is going through it in their own particulars. Jasper was no longer the subject in their mind. I think it was her father.

The process takes place when people looking at a painting or whatever is similar to when the radio plays a happy song where most listening would feel happy. But then there could be a mother who starts to cry hearing that happy song because their beloved son went off to war and she recalls hearing that record being played in their son's room a lot while he was growing up. The mom is no longer hearing the song, she's seeing her son being put in mortal danger in her mind. They're processing their own story along with the pressure of their own helplessness and sorrow.

That should be a practical lesson for budding artists in how people often will look at their art work and how much of themselves the viewer will bring to it. The artist's intention sometimes doesn't participate any longer -- despite what the artist wanted to say. A whole new life for the painting (or post) comes from the viewer and the viewed work of art. And it may be the smallest fragment of the picture or sentence that sets the viewer on that personal digression because it's looming large inside the viewer. Other times it may not be so dramatic. But it happens all the time, and it's another reason why Art can be so universal.

In other words, your thread/post did her/him a kindness that you hadn't intended, but kindness it was. You lost someone very dear to you, and she sounds like she may be dealing with something in a similar energy. And she's offering what she thinks relevant to help others -- but from where she went with it. . . or so I surmise from what she was saying.
    Last edited by D Akey; 09-26-2015 at 05:42 AM.
    "Not a bit is wasted and the best is yet to come. . ." -- remembered from a dream

Quote Originally Posted by D Akey View Post
    I suppose if someone reading got as far as the first line they would have heard "My precious boy Jasper was diagnosed this morning with diabetes. As with humans, there is no cure but a lifetime of daily insulin injections. . .".
    I said I was sorry, and I am, deeply. I Didn't read the first line in fact, because I was so impressed by the drawing. Rats, my favorite pets have about 3 years. I've had close to 200 of them, many I watched being born and watched them die in my hands. I well understand grief. As for diabetes, I'm a 4th generation diabetic so I'm also I'm acquainted with daily injections My grandmother took 7 injections, my mom took 4 and I take from 3 to 5 a day. I felt terrible because I only saw the art and missed the message, pointing about it helps (NOT). I really didn't to hurt feelings or offend anyone. I think it's better if I just don't come here for a while. I'll be back sometimes. Enug, I'm sorry and I do understand. Good bye.

The last time I kept an open mind,
    my brain fell out and the dog grabbed it.
    Now it's full of dirt, toothmarks, and dog slobber.
    No more open minds or dogs for me.www.gms9810.com/

Quote Originally Posted by Gms9810 View Post
    I said I was sorry, and I am, deeply. I Didn't read the first line in fact, because I was so impressed by the drawing. Rats, my favorite pets have about 3 years. I've had close to 200 of them, many I watched being born and watched them die in my hands. I well understand grief. As for diabetes, I'm a 4th generation diabetic so I'm also I'm acquainted with daily injections My grandmother took 7 injections, my mom took 4 and I take from 3 to 5 a day. I felt terrible because I only saw the art and missed the message, pointing about it helps (NOT). I really didn't to hurt feelings or offend anyone. I think it's better if I just don't come here for a while. I'll be back sometimes. Enug, I'm sorry and I do understand. Good bye.
    Hi George. I don't know what you and June were talking about because I missed your guys' line of comments for whatever reason.

But in my response to June I was speaking about Sethren's post where June said she didn't understand how there could be confusion about it being about a cat. Nothing to do with your talking to June, George. Hope it didn't set off any unintended feelings of being criticized. You're not the first to not read every word in the forums. Even I don't. This confusion is Exhibit A of how people often don't and the ensuing miscommunications, hurt feelings, heads exploding, computers crashing, ongoing trouble in the middle east, south, north and west, etc.

And sorry about your diabetes.
    Last edited by D Akey; 09-26-2015 at 10:08 AM.

George please don't think any of this was directed at you - I only brought your post into the conversation because I was trying to explain to DA, Sethren and others who might read this thread, what had gone before. I will sent you a pm.

I had not come across Sethren before so had a look at his profile and read some of his previous posts. I feel it is a male by the content of the posts. Also Sethren has written similar posts to AR members who's family members or themselves are suffering from cancer, extolling the virtues of diet to cure this disease. He is of the opinion that cancer can be cured but the medical profession and pharmaceutical industry are not interested because of the financial effect on their businesses.

Dear DA I think you are being overly generous in your assessment of this member's motives and I admire you for seeing the good in people. I don't know his reason for writing what he did but I pay it no attention but the outcome is that George is feeling hurt and that should not have happened.

I would like Sethren to post again and explain what prompted him to join in the conversation.
    June.

And try to ease the way
    That walk the world
    today.
    -
    Unknown.

Quote Originally Posted by Enug View Post
    George please don't think any of this was directed at you - I only brought your post into the conversation because I was trying to explain to DA, Sethren and others who might read this thread, what had gone before. I will sent you a pm.

I had not come across Sethren before so had a look at his profile and read some of his previous posts. I feel it is a male by the content of the posts. Also Sethren has written similar posts to AR members who's family members or themselves are suffering from cancer, extolling the virtues of diet to cure this disease. He is of the opinion that cancer can be cured but the medical profession and pharmaceutical industry are not interested because of the financial effect on their businesses.

Dear DA I think you are being overly generous in your assessment of this member's motives and I admire you for seeing the good in people. I don't know his reason for writing what he did but I pay it no attention but the outcome is that George is feeling hurt and that should not have happened.

I would like Sethren to post again and explain what prompted him to join in the conversation.
    I had a lesson as a parent many years ago. My young son was saying very sassy things that made me bristle. And I had a normal reaction, got angry at him and chastised him as my parents would me. However, I discovered that he was merely talking like people he heard on TV comedy shows that used a lot of put-down humor. He in fact was not trying to be rude, he was trying on the fit of a style that seemed to be socially prized. It was a popular show, and his peers probably talked like that at school, as you do in school, and what with the canned laughter and the characters taking it all in stride on the show made it seem like how one made things light. So he thought it would play the same way with me.

And if all you had was what was in the spotlight to go by, it was logical within his context of loving behavior. Once we sorted that out, my response changed to not shut him down in a combative way -- which would have been my normal response were someone to address me thus in the world. Because I too wanted to be coming from a loving place with him, I learned to look past the form and see the intention behind it, and then assist him to get his expression to match that more effectively.

I use that across the board now. I look at the form of people's communication and pause and look a bit deeper. And if their essential motivation is to be helpful, or loving or whatever, I go there even when they don't seem to be the most skillful communicators. I usually don't have to employ it because most people are pretty fair with their communication. But dealing with the world, especially on the internet where posts can be misinterpreted very easily, attacks seen where there were none intended, as a rule I play a little game with myself, to find what's really going on.

The alternative is to have hurt feelings, anger, become combative and get into flame wars or at the very least withdraw out of interaction. I'm not interested in that because that's the low road and I just don't like it for myself because I could too easily rip someone a new asshole, the result of which would be that they would respond to on the level I dropped the interaction to. And that would be my fault there because they were being friendly enough. And I don't prefer to put that energy out when the problem is often in my inability to see the good that was being offered in that person's lexicon.

Just look at what happened here. To me it's worth being overly generous. That's how I want to interact with people. If someone is in fact trying to provoke, then the gloves come off, if I don't mind leaving a stench when it's important to make a public point about a dangerous idea being put out into the world or something like that.

It's a matter of weighing the outcomes and deciding which I prefer rather than exploding on someone. More than once I've jumped to the wrong conclusion and the stench was my doing, to my shame. It was MY fault because I was too narrow minded to see clearly. So since I got tired of the negativity, as a matter of course I look to err on the side of friendship when I can. And it's become something of a game that makes it interesting to move past my personal limitations that I was imprinted with growing up. I'd like to think it makes me easier to be around because I look for the handshake instead of the fist.

Great words you have posted here Mr DA "because I look for the handshake instead of the fist" , if we all tried a little harder to follow these words we might live in a much better world