ArtRage 5 Product PageArtRage Lite Product PageArtRage for iOS Product PageArtRage for Android Product PageArtRage  Android Oil Painter Free Product PageArtRage  Free Demos Page

Thread: Don't do what I have done. A word of caution when upgrading . . .

Lynda.com author, Digital Tutors instructor

Don't do what I have done. A word of caution when upgrading . . .

Just made a rookie mistake. I was so into my illustration portrait for my new course I completely forgot to make incremental saves. I saw the upgrade to 4.5.5 and I clicked on it. Tried to back out of it to save my work.

It crashed and I lost all of my work. MAKE YOURSELF SAVE YOUR WORK all the TIME!

ArtRage4.5.9 MACPRO (El Capitan), Wacom Cintiq 13HD, iPad3, Note 4, Wacom Intous & Nomad Brush Compose.
    ArtRage Courses: Intro to AR, Materials in AR, Portraits in AR (http://tinyurl.com/j6cyvwx)

Ouch. . .

I recall that MS Word (I think) has an auto save feature based on a timer. Never could figure out why something like that didn't exist for painting programs (to my knowledge) -- at least where one can set the parameters.
    Last edited by D Akey; 08-27-2015 at 03:06 AM.
    "Not a bit is wasted and the best is yet to come. . ." -- remembered from a dream

Sorry to hear about the crash - I'd like to try and work out what happened so that we can look in to it but I've just tried to replicate it and I'm not able to currently. Could you describe at what point the crash happened and how you triggered the check for updates?
    Matt
    ArtRage UI
    Ambient Design.

Quote Originally Posted by Victor Osaka View Post
    Just made a rookie mistake. I was so into my illustration portrait for my new course I completely forgot to make incremental saves. I saw the upgrade to 4.5.5 and I clicked on it. Tried to back out of it to save my work.

It crashed and I lost all of my work. MAKE YOURSELF SAVE YOUR WORK all the TIME!
    Due to that problem with W10 crashing, I've had a lot of those crashes. I hope this new version fixes that.

The last time I kept an open mind,
    my brain fell out and the dog grabbed it.
    Now it's full of dirt, toothmarks, and dog slobber.
    No more open minds or dogs for me.www.gms9810.com/

Lynda.com author, Digital Tutors instructor
    Actually, I do use a program called "Forever Save 2" but, you have to save your work at least once (the first save) before the program kicks in automatic save mode. My second rookie mistake made yesterday.

ArtRage4.5.9 MACPRO (El Capitan), Wacom Cintiq 13HD, iPad3, Note 4, Wacom Intous & Nomad Brush Compose.
    ArtRage Courses: Intro to AR, Materials in AR, Portraits in AR (http://tinyurl.com/j6cyvwx)

Sounds like a utility to have running on my Mac for sure. I recall in the early days of inDesign it was prone to crash a lot. Their early quick fix was to have the whole document saved for when you re-opened the program. Believe me, that saved my bacon more than a few times. Most of the programs I run are pretty stable, but a universal backer-up thingy would put my mind at ease. I'm going to be hitting the computer pretty intensively very soon so I will want some insurance.

Well, again, sorry that happened to you. But in a peculiar way your cautionary tale will help me. So thanks for the rookie show and tell. Now I can move straight on to the intermediate mistake level. . .

"Not a bit is wasted and the best is yet to come. . ." -- remembered from a dream