ArtRage 5 Product PageArtRage Lite Product PageArtRage for iOS Product PageArtRage for Android Product PageArtRage  Android Oil Painter Free Product PageArtRage  Free Demos Page

Thread: Images appear more grainy after saving or even after exporting as jpg/png

Images appear more grainy after saving or even after exporting as jpg/png

Hello

Just yesterday I purchased the app as I am a lover of Artrage (I have the desktop 4.xx and also for my iPad). My phone is Samsung Galaxy Note 2. The problem I have is - I have done only one painting so far using the chalk. Everything was looking alright when I was doing the painting - but after saving the painting as .ptg file and closing the app and then if I reopened the same painting, it looks too grainy - which it did not when I was actually doing it and seeing the pic as a whole image filling the screen. I had default settings for all - canvas size, canvas texture, grain, etc. I did not change any defaults.

This has happened on my iPad also (iPad 3 - I know it is slower with Artrage) but I am not continuing with Artrage on the iPad till I buy the latest iPad with a much faster processor. (at the same time this does not happen with other painitng apps like Procreate or inspire Pro - I am talking of the grainy look).

Having seeing this happen with the phone too i am writing it here for clarifications. The image is grainy even if I exported to an image file - png / jpg.

Is Artrage not so compatible with Note 2 ? The reviews mention that it is specifically designed for Note 4 & Note Edge.

This grainy appearance after saving a picture not so grainy does not happen with other painting apps on Note 2 such as SketchBook Pro or Infinite painter.

Thanks in advance
    PRSS

Can you post before and after screenshots? If you're using the chalk, it should be showing visible texture from the canvas grain (which would be more visible if you zoomed in), but it's unclear whether that's what you're seeing. That fact it's happening on multiple devices does seem to point to something about your process, as the painting file suddenly losing quality wouldn't show up the same way across all the apps.
    Ambient Design Tech Support & Community Manager

This is not my signature.

Go forth and read the tutorials. Also, check out the featured artists!

Thank you very much for the reply.

I shall do some more experiments and also post the images. But I also wish to know if Note 2 has any incompatibiliy since Artrage for Android is aimed at Note 4.

Best regards
    PRSS

There shouldn't be any incompatibility with the Note 2, and what you're describing doesn't sound like a system issue at all. As the file can't be modified outside ArtRage it sounds like it may relate to zoom, the contents of a file between saving it and reloading it can't change. It's also important to make sure that you're opening the original PTG file and not accidentally importing an exported image file of the same painting as that can reduce quality.
    Matt
    ArtRage UI
    Ambient Design.

Thank you for the reply. Glad to know that there is no incompatibility with Note 2.

I am attaching the screenshot from Artrage .ptg - when opened for the first time. It saved as a png but I converted it to jpg - but both the images appear the image. I am saying this because you may think that some loss could have occurred during conversion - converted it to reduce the file size. But please take it granted from me that both look exactly the same.

This screen shot capture looks less grainy.

I have attached the jpg exported image also. This image appears more grainy. (same is the case when exported as png too.)

There is another peculiar problem.

If I opened the Artrage image i.e. the .ptg image close, then open it again - and do it 2 or 3 times, then even the .ptg painting opened in Artrage looks grainy - same as the exported jpg /png image. But when you open it for the first time, it looks less grainy. That is the image I have attached. It remains the same even if I worked on it for sometime. It does not start looking grainy till I saved the image and reopened the same .ptg file (please note I am making no mistake in this - I am opening the .ptg file not the preview or accidentally opening the image file).
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Screenshot converted to.jpg 
Views:	89 
Size:	279.0 KB 
ID:	87353   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Exported as.jpg 
Views:	93 
Size:	447.5 KB 
ID:	87354  

Forgot to mention. When I am seeing the painting or working on the painting, I never zoomed in or zoomed out but worked on it always at 100% magnification only
    Best regards
    PRSS

Okay, it's hard to compare because the screenshot has been JPEG converted which means the image has been adjusted. Even a screencap could look different if the colour profile of the device is different (gamma values could certainly adjust the perceived graininess of an image).

Because it's so hard for us to see what you're actually seeing I think the best bet would be for you to send the PTG file in the image, along with a PNG screencap and exported PNG version to us at support@artrage.com and we'll take a look at it to see what we can see. Doing a quick check on Note 2 Gamma seems to indicate that there may be a difference there, but if we can compare the raw PTG with the two PNGs that may show us what's happening (if the screencap PNG and exported PNG are identical then it's likely to be a problem at the screen level).

We'll troubleshoot via email from here so we can get a bit more detailed. Thanks!
    Matt
    ArtRage UI
    Ambient Design.

Thank you for the reply and for the trouble taken by you so far.

I am really very, very sorry to have bothered you on this. I could have checked it myself.

Right just now I copied the .ptg file from the phone to my desktop computer and opened the .ptg file in Artrage 4.5.4

The actual painting is grainy ! It looks the same as the exported png /jpg from the Note 2.

So as you rightly said, it is the Note 2 screen which is playing the trick.

So, on the phone, if I reopened the file a couple of times, since I am getting the same grainy look which is the real image of the painting, let me finish the painting after I reopened it a couple of times. Then my problem is solved. I'll know that when exported as png/jpg, I'll get the same amount of grains.

May be this is a problem with the Note 2 screen regenerating the image wrongly the first time Artrage opens. May be the power of the processor combined with the power of the graphic engine of Note 2 is not up to the mark to handle Artrage the same way Note 4 handles - with its more powerful processor/graphics engine.

May be the same is happening with my iPad 3 also which has a much less powerful processor than iPad 4 or the iPad Air/Air 2.

Any way, my problem is solved. Once again I am sorry that I bothered you with this.

Thanks a ton for your response and support.

With best regards
    PRSS

Glad to hear you figured it out! And don't apologise - that's really useful to know, as you're probably not the only person who's encountering this issue.
    Ambient Design Tech Support & Community Manager

This is not my signature.

Go forth and read the tutorials. Also, check out the featured artists!

Thank you very much for the reply.
    Best regards
    PRSS