ArtRage 5 Product PageArtRage Lite Product PageArtRage for iOS Product PageArtRage for Android Product PageArtRage  Android Oil Painter Free Product PageArtRage  Free Demos Page

Thread: Art tool question

Art tool question

Hi, I'm not sure if this should go under technical questions or not, and so far I haven't seen the question anywhere else, so I apologize for starting off here and if it has already been discussed elsewhere on the forums:

I've locked the rotation on the palette knife tool to give me the control I need over spreading the paint around. But, it would be great too if I could change the rotation here and there while the rotation is still locked, without having to use the slider in the setting every time. I know it's possible to change the roation with the rotation slider even when rotation is locked, but is there a keyboard key for this too?

For instance, the up and down arrow keys adjust the palette knife's pressure so I don't need to use the "pressure" slider every time I want to change the knife's pressure. It would just be really useful if there were also keyboard keys to rotate the knife's angle this way and that, while the knife tool's rotation is locked.

Anyone have any thoughts? Thanks for reading!

Addendum - I just figured out one thing, but it turns out to not be helpful...

I did just figure out, with the palette knife tool's rotation locked on a slant of let's say, 87%, holding CTRL + SHIFT simultaneously does in fact snap the rotation back to a straight up and down angle of 75% or so, temporarily, until CTRL + SHIFT are released. Then it snaps back to whatever percentage the rotation is locked on. But when those keys are held down, the knife doesn't function as a knife on the canvas...
    Last edited by atari3d; 08-23-2015 at 09:21 AM.

Using a tablet, that has tilt capabilities, you can control the angle of the rotation by the movement of the pen itself. Aside from that, the only way I can think of to change the rotation is create presets for the tool that matches your most used degrees of rotation. Then it'd just be a matter of clicking the preset to set the rotation. Of course this would mean that every time you selected a preset, the other options would set themselves to whatever you had set at the time you made the preset (so if you have 50% loading set, you'd always be reset to 50% loading), causing you to have to adjust those by hand, instead. So that probably wouldn't be a very feasible solution.
    Nothing is easy to the unwilling.

Thanks so much!

I'm going to have to research how to set my tablet to do that - if you have any pointers, please let me know! Thanks again for your response

Quote Originally Posted by atari3d View Post
    I'm going to have to research how to set my tablet to do that - if you have any pointers, please let me know! Thanks again for your response
    No problem. As for setting your tablet to allow for it, in most cases I would assume it'd be set to allow it from the start, so it's possible your tablet may not respond to the tilting of your stylus. What type of tablet do you have?

Oh, thanks, Someonesane - it's a Wacom Intuos CTl-480, looks like?

Unfortunately, after taking a look as at the feature list for the tablet at Wacoms site and reading some reviews, I get the impression that your tablet doesn't have tilt support. As I said before, things like this are usually immediately active by default and require you to turn them off, if you find the feature undesirable. I may be wrong, however, so it may be worth your while to look through your tablets manual, just to be sure.

Quote Originally Posted by Someonesane View Post
    Unfortunately, after taking a look as at the feature list for the tablet at Wacoms site and reading some reviews, I get the impression that your tablet doesn't have tilt support. As I said before, things like this are usually immediately active by default and require you to turn them off, if you find the feature undesirable. I may be wrong, however, so it may be worth your while to look through your tablets manual, just to be sure.
    Thanks very much - bummer, but, I'll look into it in the manual anyway. Thanks again!