Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Digital pen

I remembered now why your drawings seemed so familiar to me. Once I found this book "On drawing trees and Nature - A Classic Victorian Manual, by James Duffield Harding". I think it can be found on Dover Publications(2005 edition). the first editions were published in 1846 and 1855. Stunning book with lessons and examples.
    I'm the happiest man in the world. I just don't know this, yet.

my gallery: http://members.artrage.com/gallery/32810

Always a great idea to study the best. I don't know the how to draw book you're talking about but I get the idea. The other thing is that was a real golden age for Art technique when it came to idealizing and realism. They also hit a brick wall for many of the artists of the times wherein it became all about rules. And enter the Impressionists and Cubists etc as a reaction to all that.

But I have to tell you when I was in Paris visiting the Musée d'Orsay. . . all I can say is I was really really humbled. In addition to being a showcase for Impressionists, in part because the museum was converted from the train station made famous in part by Monet's painting. And the paintings were almost indescribably moving. But the sculpture gallery of portraits. . . amazing! I was awestruck! Such workmanship and portraiture in stone that has to be experienced.

http://www.musee-orsay.fr/en/collect...tml?no_cache=1

Imagine that the skill of the painters -- most all of them -- and the sculptors -- were so flawless, that it all became a matter of being judged against perfection. And freedom was missing. Thus there came new artists who said it was too narrow and in the hands of tyrants essentially. Natural and normal to have each new generation carving out their own turf. Was the Victorian era art gorgeous? Without question. Especially because the work in those cases is largely about the subject and not so much about the artist as the star. And is it sad to see those fine skills getting tossed aside and forgotten because it does take some training to grasp and own them. And if nobody is teaching it, we have to grasp it any way we can if we want it. But Art is dynamic.

Were I to copy someone to learn their chops, I would initially study the masters regardless of their discipline. We see something out there and we resonate with it. It means it has something for us in it at any given point in our personal evolution. Never a right or wrong. And life is long if we're lucky.

I really admire great craftsmanship on that level alone. I also admire the other potential that Art can tap into.

Thanks for that book you mentioned. I may have to buy it. I have collected a bunch of old books of engravings and stuff from that time. I can look at it and have an instant doorway to a more perfected time and place because that's what those artists brought to the mix.
    "Not a bit is wasted and the best is yet to come. . ." -- remembered from a dream

Thank you for your feedback.
    eighty +, take care of your health

Orkhan, D Akey, an excellent book! Thank you! I can recommend a book of famous American artist Paul Calle "Pencil. The art of technology." In the first chapter the author describes the path to his drawing technique, its comparison with the works of the old masters.

Artists have always needed to learn.

P.S. Sorry for my English. I find it hard to communicate with you on a serious topic through google translator

"The Deerslayer"

I use a standard pencil without a paper canvas.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	FjRWpcQn4a4.jpg 
Views:	76 
Size:	248.6 KB 
ID:	87524

GoGOSA, your drawings are out of this world, what beautiful works, I am just in awe of this work you have done, hope to see LOTS more

beautiful work! love the simplicity and richness of sticking to pencil brings to your works.

Fantastic drawing mastery! Welcome in here!
    Panta rei (everything flows)!

Incredible work.. very inspirational!

Thanks!

The picture untitled

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	untitled_1_by_gogosa-d9jbvo1.jpg 
Views:	65 
Size:	245.6 KB 
ID:	88421

Used Pencil Pack. Thanks Someonesane!

Name:  Nwcv0vdFJp0.jpg
Views: 44