ArtRage 5 Product PageArtRage Lite Product PageArtRage for iOS Product PageArtRage for Android Product PageArtRage  Android Oil Painter Free Product PageArtRage  Free Demos Page

Thread: 4.5 Crashing

4.5 Crashing

Hey, I was just using 4.5 and doing a bit of watercolor work when it crashed on me. This is about the third time it has crashed on me in the last two days. I was wondering if this was a known issue or not. I am using Windows 10 if that helps along with a Wacom One CTL-471. Unfortunately I lost a little of my work....

Yes I think this is a known issue or at least partly. I don't think all the Windows 10 bugs are quite squished just yet!
    If you have a crash log then definitely send it to; support@artrage.com with a brief description of what you were doing at the time, system info, etc...

If you have another computer with an earlier OS other than Win10, it maybe a good idea to use that for critical work for now.
    Also, if you haven't already, turn on AR's backups in preferences, you will find it under; Advanced > Store Backup Files. Every time you Save it will make a backup of the painting at that particular moment. It can do up to 20 of these if you want before the oldest one gets pushed out the back by the newest one coming in at the front.
    Maker Of Replica Macoys

Techie Stuff:
    ArtRage 5.0.5 ~ 15" Macbook Pro
    + 22" HD Monitor ~ macOS 10.12.6 ~ 4 Core i7 3.1GHz CPU ~ 16GB RAM ~ Wacom Intuos4 M and a Spyder4Pro (to keep the colours true!)

We're working on this at the moment but it has been hard for us to replicate here. We've added a sticky to the top of the Technical forum for information as it becomes available, if you check that it has a couple of steps that should help us in troubleshooting: https://forums.artrage.com/showthread.php?49727
    Matt
    ArtRage UI
    Ambient Design.

One bit of advice for this crashing problem. SAVE your work frequently. I was working on a painting and for once, I listened to myself and I saved the painting, and no sooner had I saved the work, then Art Rage crashed. I would have been extremely unhappy after spending a lot of time on the work if it had been lost at that point. So, SAVE, SAVE, SAVE.

I hope the problem of crashing will be resolved soon.

Quick note from the other thread: The crash problem is happening due to some odd behaviour in Win 10's multithreading. We've found how to prevent the crash in our internal build but it relies on Win 10's new thread system which appears to be really slow so we're still working on a fix. In the meantime, turning off multithreading in the Advanced section of the Preferences panel should fix the crashes.
    Matt
    ArtRage UI
    Ambient Design.