Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Painter 2016 - anyone..? ArtRage 5..? Anyone?

Quote Originally Posted by EllieTaylorArtist View Post
    . . .However, I really don't have much use for the new musical brushes. Yes, they really added musical brushes. I guess, if you are into trying to combine the two art forms, this is something you would like. . .
    Wow! The mind boggles as to what that might mean in practical use. I recall that since the very earliest days of personal computing that they have had programs that generated music in practical yet also in abstract ways -- supposedly in an effort to bridge the concept of correlating color and tone with notes or pitches. And well before that musicians have drawn inspiration from and actually tried to transpose art into music and artists have messed with similar concepts, particularly in areas of abstraction where they were working for other ends than subjective ends. That's most intriguing to see whether it would feel right using those musical brushes or whether it would open up something wholly different.

I can also imagine that it opens the door to visually impaired artists who could pick colors and formulate a relationship or even a paradigm based on sound. Pretty darn interesting conceptually.

Anyway, it's too rich for me to try out and I don't have a need for it. But it sounds like a brilliant play thing for tripping out, hahah. I remember when we first had color paint programs on the Amiga computer with D-Paint and the like and some of those brushes created kaleidoscopic patterns that cycled the 16 colors. . . intense fun in a darkened room creating light shows. But there was really nowhere to take it. But it was so sensory and exciting as the virtual painter's curtain opened for the world! Wow. I know those stupid little "hacks" inspired me to really dive in. It was irresistible bait for the creator in me.

Nice to see someone trying to push the envelope and try to create a market in a new area regardless whether I can justify buying it or not. Sadly, it's too rich for my blood for a lark. My money's spent elsewhere.

But I still think that for the visually impaired and for those with more of an auditory bent, this could be super. I also don't need prosthetic legs thankfully and would blanch at the price of buying some, but I don't have a problem with people developing those masterpieces for those who can use it where no price is likely too much. I was sort of surprised to see how many legally blind artists are out there, some of whom post incredible stuff in the forum. They work with what they have because it has meaning and joy for them. It may be hard for them to do regular art in the real world because it lacks the magnification tools and brightness controls and so on.

Yeah, yeah. . . Go ArtRage and all that (meaningfully stated here). But credit where credit is due.
    Last edited by D Akey; 08-18-2015 at 07:58 PM.
    "Not a bit is wasted and the best is yet to come. . ." -- remembered from a dream

I think the musical brushes are really cool, but I am not the best musician, haha, and so I am probably not the best person to utilize them. However, you are right, I think they will be really useful for the musicians and for the visually impaired. The brushes are sort of like the windows music player when they had different themes to play along with your music. They also respond to your microphone so you can actually paint with your voice. Kind of a neat idea.

It has been there a long time...

Quote Originally Posted by EllieTaylorArtist View Post
    Painter 2016 is actually a streamlined version. They have reduced the number of brushes and combined a lot of brushes. Also, they have finally fixed the blending. Now you can blend without picking up the white layer underneath. They have added a more realistic look to the brushes called dynamic speckles. I wasn't going to get the upgrade, but they offered their $99 deal to 2015 owners and they added tool tips on all the brush control functions. That is what made me try the new upgrade. I am glad I did because this version is finally getting closer to ArtRage with the paint look. The tool tips are great and I am finally learning Painter, lol. However, I really don't have much use for the new musical brushes. Yes, they really added musical brushes. I guess, if you are into trying to combine the two art forms, this is something you would like. Anyway, I think this is the best version of Painter so far because it finally blends like ArtRage. ArtRage is still more fun and easier to use.
    I agree that Painter 2016 is a somehow refined version concerning the brushes. But I don't agree the final fix of the blender. It has been there a long time. It just has been overlooked by the users. I use Painter X3 and all the blenders of the "artists" category is blending towards transparency, not blending towards the background colour. Just like in the picture below where I used the Grainy Blender, one of the "blend towards transparency" blender brushes. And those blender brushes were there even before X3...

Name:  grainyBlender.PNG
Views: 622
Size:  61.2 KB

Painter introduced som more "gimmic" brushes in this version, the "Musical" brushes. In the 2015 version they added the "Particle" brushes... And Painter is supposed to be the leading realistic Natural-Media paint software...
    Last edited by Henry Stahle; 08-19-2015 at 05:32 PM.

Sorry, I wasn't being clear about the blending. Just watched 3 hours on YouTube about the new Painter 2016 so maybe I can better explain. What they fixed was the white of the layer mixing with your color and making it lighter. That doesn't work on the bottom canvas layer, it still mixes in white, but on the first layer it doesn't mix in the white. Also, when you got near the edge, the brushes would smear in black or white in your paint and they fixed that. This dynamic speckles thing that they added in is supposed to make your particle brushes look more painterly. I really need to play with that and see how to do it. As I said before, the main reason I got 2016 was for the tool tip explanations. I am finally understanding what all those brush control settings are, haha. I don't know for sure, but maybe the reason they added musical brushes is because some of the Painter Masters they've been showcasing are into performance art and they set up shows where they paint to music. That's my theory anyway.

if i'm reading correctly? we can expect in the near future a "Concerto for Particles in C minus"preformed by the Painter 16 Philharmoniker?.

Quote Originally Posted by rondo View Post
    if i'm reading correctly? We can expect in the near future a "concerto for particles in c minus"preformed by the painter 16 philharmoniker?.
    :d:d:d:d:d hmmm my smilies don't work

Quote Originally Posted by justjean View Post
    :d:d:d:d:d hmmm my smilies don't work
    Allow me. . .

Hey Rondo -- a message from JustJean (whose p mysteriously turned into a d):

Last edited by D Akey; 08-20-2015 at 10:01 AM.
    "Not a bit is wasted and the best is yet to come. . ." -- remembered from a dream

That sounds like music to me hahahaha! ,thanks for the message

I have looked at the Corel Painter web site and find their features interesting. I personally have not bought any versions of Painter since 8 and 9. Still use these software programs on my ten year old computer with Windows XP. They work very well for that generation of hardware and operating system, especially love the blender brushes. I have the latest Art Rage 4 on my Windows XP O/S, like the features and improvements since their first introductory version, they have come along nicely. Will not be able to buy any further upgrades for a Windows XP machine neither Art Rage or Painter is available for an operating system that old. I believe the last version of Painter that supported XP was 13? I'm not cheap, instead just poor and cannot afford to upgrade all this stuff so try hard to make the best with what I have. Yet I have a very basic criticism for all the new software coming out these days. I do not like this cloud idea for using software, when I buy a program my preference for privacy is to have a CD disc of the program or online download to make such and have the ability to work off-line like the days of Corel Painter 8 and 9.5.

I am especially negative on Windows latest operating system since you cannot buy box versions and install yourself anymore. Everything has to be on-line and I personally do not have my old ten year machine connected to a computer. Use computers a lot for producing graphic arts and writing, or possible business applications yet do not use internet except at a local library. I notice that Adobe is trying to get everyone into the cloud with their one year subscription to Creative Suite. Despite the high cost of their box store retail version that seems a better choice for privacy. With so much internet cyber crime, virus, malware, etc. prefer staying off line working with artwork. They do a great job at the library I use with internet security, never have the problems that plagued me years ago at home connected to the internet. Again this also curbs my internet addiction and limits my time causing better management of on-line internet time, get more artwork and other productivity projects done this way.
    The very first digital art program that I worked with Art Rage 1

You may visit my personally designed website at: www.stephenlopiano.com
    There is one section full of pages there under the Digital Artwork category that is devoted entirely to paintings I have created with Art Rage.

I use Painter only for photo manipulation. To give photos a paintery look.

I much prefer ArtRage's simplicity, ease of use and performance to Painter when it comes to sketching or painting.

I had given up on Painter IX after I started using ArtRage but last year I got an upgrade offer from IX to Painter 2015 that I jumped at.
    I believe the upgrade price was $99.