ArtRage 5 Product PageArtRage Lite Product PageArtRage for iOS Product PageArtRage for Android Product PageArtRage  Android Oil Painter Free Product PageArtRage  Free Demos Page

Thread: Some inspirations from Fresh Paint for Win8.1/10.

Some inspirations from Fresh Paint for Win8.1/10.

Microsoft released a branch new painting app named Fresh Paint for Win 8.1/10. It's also capable of simulating realistic oil painting effects. I haven't tried it yet, but watched a painting video of it.
    Video link:https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ron8-YFLtkc

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	fp02.jpg 
Views:	74 
Size:	348.9 KB 
ID:	87181

Name:	fp01.jpg 
Views:	96 
Size:	318.2 KB 
ID:	87182
    Name:  fp03.jpg
Views: 176
Size:  371.4 KB

Its oil brush, in some aspect, looks more natural than Artrage currently. Especially, when painting with dry bursh, it can show more variable looks. And the thick strokes can blend with canvas textures more naturally, also, the noisy color grain adds more realistic look, whereas, in Artrage, thick strokes always override canvas texture entirely, that may look somehow a little flat. I love Artrage too. So I post some suggestions here. I think the Artrage dev team may want to try Fresh Paint out, and get some inspirations from it in order to make Artrage more perfect.

My eye may just not be picking up the nuances here, but that looks very similar to what ArtRage 4 can already do - if you pick the right canvas and tool settings. If your Loading or Thinners are too high, the paint textures will hide the canvas itself.

E.g.

- Coarse canvas
    - No thinners
    - various Loading and Stiffness settings (the Stiffness is important - soft brushes just fill in all the hollows and won't show texture)

Name:	oil canvas texture.jpg 
Views:	101 
Size:	86.3 KB 
ID:	87193

If you can still see a difference, can you try and describe it a bit more specifically?
    Ambient Design Tech Support & Community Manager

This is not my signature.

Go forth and read the tutorials. Also, check out the featured artists!

Talking

I'll throw in my opinion, unwanted as it may be.

tl;dr
    Fresh Paint varies the paint brush tip and loading nicely so that it doesn't look like a computer-generated stroke. Suggestions for ArtRage oil brush:
    1) Give option to connect stiffness to pen pressure
    2) Give option to connect loading to pen pressure
    3) Give brush tip options (not just shape but bristle variations too)
    4) Give some random variation to the brush tips that changes per stroke (another slider?)
    5) Make the loading slider put down thick paint even on very small loading (or somehow separate out this property from loading)

Ramblings about the suggestions:
    The Fresh Paint oil brush uses pen pressure to vary the amount of paint laid down, from a fully loaded brush to a lightly loaded brush or the effect you might get with scrubbing an oil brush on the canvas. This allows for more subtle changes in paint strokes. To get something similar in ArtRage you have to play with the stiffness, which is not connected to pressure.

The other thing is the ArtRage oil brush looks to have a very uneven brush tip, resulting in very even streaks/lines of paint. Increasing the stiffness really shows these lines, but using no stiffness, full loading, and no thinners also shows these lines. To me this looks unnatural, especially when trying to get the look of a soft brush stroke. I don't like the even lines the brush leaves behind (caused by the thick streaks casting shadows within the paint stroke).

It takes a bit of work to get a natural looking brush stroke in ArtRage without working the stroke after the fact with a knife or dry brush. Changing pressure on the oil brush only thins the paint against the canvas (which is realistic but doesn't allow for a lot of variation within the stroke itself). It would be nice if pressure could be tied to stiffness or loading.

On the same note, with the loading slider you have to choose between lots of thick paint or very little thin paint; it would be nice to have very little thick paint. This way I could put down a small daub of thick paint and work it around the canvas in the same stroke without having to resort to using the knife or dry brush. As it is, my workflow with ArtRage oil paintings is to put down thick paint (full loading) in small strokes, then work it with a dry brush to get it to look natural. This is a time-consuming second step that could be skipped by giving the oil brush more customization. The oil brush comes off as too calculated, too even, too little variation.

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by HannahRage View Post
    My eye may just not be picking up the nuances here, but that looks very similar to what ArtRage 4 can already do - if you pick the right canvas and tool settings. If your Loading or Thinners are too high, the paint textures will hide the canvas itself.

E.g.

- Coarse canvas
    - No thinners
    - various Loading and Stiffness settings (the Stiffness is important - soft brushes just fill in all the hollows and won't show texture)

Name:	oil canvas texture.jpg 
Views:	101 
Size:	86.3 KB 
ID:	87193

If you can still see a difference, can you try and describe it a bit more specifically?
    Yep, I know Artrage can do something similar, but only under some specific brush settings. However, in artrage, an artist can't switch multiple settings until he finishes drawing one single strock. But in the real world it's not the same. So it may behave not as naturally in pratice. What I meant was that maybe you can let oil brush properties become more stylus-depended, currently, only the brush size can be controlled by tablet pressure. If more oil brush properties could be influenced by tablet stylus, also, if they could be combined in varied ways(maybe like the Sticker brush does in Artrage) and could be highly customized by user(tablet stylus curves could be edited, e.g.), that would add much more variations and natural look. Not to mention that would be much more convenient than keeping switching around presets over and over again just in order to produce more variations.
    Last edited by sweep2rails; 08-26-2015 at 09:56 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by rscottfree View Post
    The other thing is the ArtRage oil brush looks to have a very uneven brush tip, resulting in very even streaks/lines of paint. Increasing the stiffness really shows these lines, but using no stiffness, full loading, and no thinners also shows these lines.
    You can use the "Thin and Dry" preset provided with the program to get a smooth oil paint. But it does tend to lose its luscious feel in the process so I get where you're coming from.