ArtRage 5 Product PageArtRage Lite Product PageArtRage for iOS Product PageArtRage for Android Product PageArtRage  Android Oil Painter Free Product PageArtRage  Free Demos Page

Thread: Lighten up a layer

Lighten up a layer

Hello!

Is there a way to lighten up (or darken) a layer?

I find that one can blur a layer, adjust the colors or a layer, add noise to a layer etc, but I see nowhere that one can make a layer lighter (or darker). Do I need to use blend modes in some way to accomplish this? I have played around with some of the modes, but the result is not what I want. I just want to make one of my layer a bit lighter.

Thanks!

Hello mats77,
    ArtRage doesn't have specific adjustment layers as found in some other image editing apps I'm afraid.
    But I would have thought that altering the Brightness for the layer, via the Adjust Layer Colours panel, would have got you what you want. No?
    That certainly would have be my opening gambit! (that and possibly, tweaking Contrast and/or Colour slightly (for Colour read Saturation) while I'm in there)
    Otherwise you could perhaps try Duplicating the layer, setting the duplicate's layer blend mode to Screen or Highlight. And then play with it's opacity and Colour saturation some, possibly even removing the colour completely. And maybe repeat to taste...
    Maker Of Replica Macoys

Techie Stuff:
    ArtRage 5.0.5 ~ 15" Macbook Pro
    + 22" HD Monitor ~ macOS 10.12.6 ~ 4 Core i7 3.1GHz CPU ~ 16GB RAM ~ Wacom Intuos4 M and a Spyder4Pro (to keep the colours true!)

Quote Originally Posted by markw View Post
    Hello mats77,
    ArtRage doesn't have specific adjustment layers as found in some other image editing apps I'm afraid.
    But I would have thought that altering the Brightness for the layer, via the Adjust Layer Colours panel, would have got you what you want. No?
    That certainly would have be my opening gambit! (that and possibly, tweaking Contrast and/or Colour slightly (for Colour read Saturation) while I'm in there)
    Otherwise you could perhaps try Duplicating the layer, setting the duplicate's layer blend mode to Screen or Highlight. And then play with it's opacity and Colour saturation some, possibly even removing the colour completely. And maybe repeat to taste...
    Thank you markw!

I went in (into Adjust Layer Colors) and played around with Brightness for my layer, and also the Color. I managed to achive desired result by tweaking these two. I kind of overlooked this quite obvious option...