ArtRage 5 Product PageArtRage Lite Product PageArtRage for iOS Product PageArtRage for Android Product PageArtRage  Android Oil Painter Free Product PageArtRage  Free Demos Page

Thread: Switching my color picker

Switching my color picker

Hi, I am using my desktop ArtRage (I am a newbie) - I added a reference image and set the color picker to pick colors from the reference image. I would now like to switch to use the color picker to select colors from the image I on my canvas. How do I do that?
    Thanks

Hello ColorSplashPDX and welcome to the AR forums
    The Colour Sampler tool can pick colours within ArtRage from the content of a Layer, a loaded Reference image or a Scrap.
    In the tool's settings you have only two options you can turn On or Off; 'Current Layer Only' and 'With lighting'.
    (Personally I prefer having 'With Lighting' always turned Off so that I know I'm getting a true colour that is not being altered by the canvas lighting.)
    If you don't want to keep switching to the actual Colour Sampler tool every time you want to pick a new colour you can hold down the Option/alt key with any tool to temporarily allow you to pick a colour while that key is depressed.
    I would also note that when sampling from a Scrap, it will always sample 'With Lighting' even if the 'With Lighting' option has been turned turned Off. (I'm not sure if this is intended behaviour or not)
    Maker Of Replica Macoys

Techie Stuff:
    ArtRage 5.0.5 ~ 15" Macbook Pro
    + 22" HD Monitor ~ macOS 10.12.6 ~ 4 Core i7 3.1GHz CPU ~ 16GB RAM ~ Wacom Intuos4 M and a Spyder4Pro (to keep the colours true!)

Apart from the options Markw has mentioned, there's also the color sampling feature the Tracing layer offers. Since you mentioned selecting color from a loaded image, it may be of interest. By importing an image as a Tracing (either by using the Tracing Pod in the lower right corner of the screen, or selecting "Tools > Tracing Options > Load Tracing Image), you can then paint with the colors of the image by simply drawing over your canvas (and tracing overlay) to apply whatever color is present beneath the tool when you first click down. The option to auto-select the color can be turned on and off again using the Menu bar options on the Tool Panel or under the Tools Menu at the top of the screen.
    Nothing is easy to the unwilling.

Switching my color picker

Thank you so much markw for these tips - very helpful. I used the Option/click method and found that worked well.
    I did not know about the tool settings so good to know those.

Quote Originally Posted by markw View Post
    Hello ColorSplashPDX and welcome to the AR forums
    The Colour Sampler tool can pick colours within ArtRage from the content of a Layer, a loaded Reference image or a Scrap.
    In the tool's settings you have only two options you can turn On or Off; 'Current Layer Only' and 'With lighting'.
    (Personally I prefer having 'With Lighting' always turned Off so that I know I'm getting a true colour that is not being altered by the canvas lighting.)
    If you don't want to keep switching to the actual Colour Sampler tool every time you want to pick a new colour you can hold down the Option/alt key with any tool to temporarily allow you to pick a colour while that key is depressed.
    I would also note that when sampling from a Scrap, it will always sample 'With Lighting' even if the 'With Lighting' option has been turned turned Off. (I'm not sure if this is intended behaviour or not)

Thanks Someonesane. Boy I did not know about this (obviously). Pretty good way to get the actual colors and then put them into a saved sample for the piece.

Quote Originally Posted by Someonesane View Post
    Apart from the options Markw has mentioned, there's also the color sampling feature the Tracing layer offers. Since you mentioned selecting color from a loaded image, it may be of interest. By importing an image as a Tracing (either by using the Tracing Pod in the lower right corner of the screen, or selecting "Tools > Tracing Options > Load Tracing Image), you can then paint with the colors of the image by simply drawing over your canvas (and tracing overlay) to apply whatever color is present beneath the tool when you first click down. The option to auto-select the color can be turned on and off again using the Menu bar options on the Tool Panel or under the Tools Menu at the top of the screen.