Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Photoshop brush organizer and .PNG creation

Photoshop brush organizer and .PNG creation

I wanted to share this link that was shared with me for Brush Pilot. This is an app for organizing photoshop brushes. In addition to doing a great job of that, it can also convert .abr files to .png with transparent backgrounds. I thought some might find this useful when making and experimenting with brushes in ArtRage. With this link you can get Brush Pilot for $12.00, less than half the regular price. I personally used the link to buy the app and it worked fine. I should mention I believe this is a Mac only app.

http://www.mightydeals.com/all_deals?s=Brush+Pilot

ABRmate does the same for windows, just not for brushes of ps CC;(

Thank's for posting that link jmac. I've just rediscovered all sorts of Photoshop brushes I had forgotten or indeed mislaid!
    Maker Of Replica Macoys

Techie Stuff:
    ArtRage Vitae 7.1.4 ~ 15" Macbook Pro
    ~ macOS 10.15.7 ~ 4 Core i7 3.1GHz CPU ~ 16GB RAM ~ Wacom Intuos4 M
    My Animal Paintings In The Forum Gallery
    On Instagram

Hi Mark,

Glad you found it useful.

A little addon for us Mac users...

To make creating sticker sheets a bit quicker out of the black & white PNG files exported from Brush Pilot, or indeed any other image, I've made a simple Finder Service workflow with Automator that will convert any selected images into pure red, i.e. Red 255, Green 0, Blue 0.
    To instal:
    Double click on the Automator file and you will be asked if you wish to install the Service or open it first with Automator. (In OSX 10.8.5 it will be installed to; Home Folder > Library > Services)
    After installing, if you Right Click on an image in Finder, at the bottom of the popup menu that opens, under Services you will see the option 'Convert To Red'.
    Dropbox Link: Deleted as this version really didn't work out!
    Last edited by markw; 08-04-2015 at 06:18 AM.
    Maker Of Replica Macoys

Techie Stuff:
    On Instagram

Thanks markw your script works a treat.

While I was playing around with creating new sticker brushes from some abr files, I came across the Import Photoshop Brush option on the Sticker Spray presents menu, which works like a charm!!!, can't believe I didn't know about this. It saves the trouble of exporting to png, converting to red and then the other bits and bobs of importing them into ArtRage. I had a little look on the forums and some abr file formats didn't seem to be quite compatible with ArtRage, but I must have got lucky!

I also had a look in the manual, (only a little sketchily, using find and a quick glance) and couldn't find mention of this feature.

Hi RedSaucers, thanks glad you like it
    Yes a lot of times you can just simply import .abr brushes and go from there.
    I perhaps should have said earlier though, that there are a couple of advantage in making Sticker Sheets out of different individual PS brush heads. One is that unlike a normal PS brush which just repeats one image, AR can alternate between different images all in the one brush head.
    The other is that you can easily switch which Sticker Sheet to use in the Sticker Spray Settings panel.
    At the moment I'm experimenting with some grunge/texture brushes using different images in the rows and columns to give a more random, organic look.
    And then of course there is still Gloss, Texture and Metallic one can add. And on two levels! So lots of potential to play with here I think.
    Last edited by markw; 08-03-2015 at 04:50 AM.
    Maker Of Replica Macoys

Techie Stuff:
    On Instagram

That is great Mark! I had no idea what Automator was (well I still don't but thanks for the script)! Only problem I'm having is my converted png has a red stroke but a much light red tint fill. Any idea what I'm doing wrong?

Hi jmac,
    Interesting… nothing should be being added to the red version, as all the script dose is convert what's already there in the original .png to red.
    All the .abr brushes that I've converted so far have come out fine.
    Could you post the before and after png images of the brush head that's misbehaving for you?

The only area of some unpredictability I've found so far is when converting colour images containing actual white or near white areas. The white areas will remain white and when used as a Sticker Spray, AR doesn't seem to know quite what to do with them! Note the odd grey areas in the purple image on the left.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Untitled.jpeg 
Views:	324 
Size:	159.7 KB 
ID:	87132
    Maker Of Replica Macoys

Techie Stuff:
    On Instagram

Hi Mark,

I seem to have lost (read forgot to save) the original black version of the brush. All of the circles were solid black. I'll have to remake it. But here is the Convert to Red version.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Convert to Red png.jpg 
Views:	301 
Size:	280.3 KB 
ID:	87139  
    Last edited by jmac; 08-04-2015 at 04:47 AM.