ArtRage 5 Product PageArtRage Lite Product PageArtRage for iOS Product PageArtRage for Android Product PageArtRage  Android Oil Painter Free Product PageArtRage  Free Demos Page

Thread: Lost layers after program crash!

Lost layers after program crash!

I could do with some help somewhat urgently.

I've been working on a piece for the ArtRage competition over on DeviantArt . It was nearly finished when ArtRage crashed on me. I restarted AR and opened the painting, but most of the layers seem to have vanished. The file size still seems about the same size as the full painting, and the preview in windows explorer still shows the whole image, so I'm hoping the information is all still present, and somebody can help me recover the 'lost' layers.

Attached is a picture of the file in windows explorer preview (left) and the file when opened (right). Unfortunately the competition deadline is tomorrow (Friday), and while it's not a great loss if I can't enter, it is frustrating to have come so close only to lose it all

Thanks in advance.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Lost file-01.jpg 
Views:	45 
Size:	392.4 KB 
ID:	87101  

Ouch!
    To get the nearly finished image back start AR4 on it's own, do not load the painting yet, and then go to File > Import Image File… navigate to the damaged painting and select it.
    This should get you what you can see in the thumbnail.
    Down side is there will be no layers to work with but as you are nearly there with the painting that might not be so bad.
    You could look in any backup versions that you kept while working on this to retrieve any workable individual layers from them.
    Last edited by markw; 07-31-2015 at 09:13 AM.
    Maker Of Replica Macoys

Techie Stuff:
    ArtRage 5.0.5 ~ 15" Macbook Pro
    + 22" HD Monitor ~ macOS 10.12.6 ~ 4 Core i7 3.1GHz CPU ~ 16GB RAM ~ Wacom Intuos4 M and a Spyder4Pro (to keep the colours true!)

You sir, are an absolute hero!

As you say, it's come in as a single layer, but at least it's all there.

Thanks a lot markw!

It sounds like you had a crash when saving, as otherwise the file on disk isn't written to by ArtRage.

I'd recommend also enabling ArtRage's automatic backup feature in Edit > ArtRage Preferences > Advanced > Store Backup Files

In that location you can choose how many previous versions to keep when you save a painting. Each time you save the previous version will be renamed so that if a problem occurs you can reload any of those earlier files.
    Dave
    Resident Bug-Hunter
    Ambient Design

Yay, you managed to finish it!
    Good luck in the contest
    Maker Of Replica Macoys

Techie Stuff:
    ArtRage 5.0.5 ~ 15" Macbook Pro
    + 22" HD Monitor ~ macOS 10.12.6 ~ 4 Core i7 3.1GHz CPU ~ 16GB RAM ~ Wacom Intuos4 M and a Spyder4Pro (to keep the colours true!)