ArtRage 5 Product PageArtRage Lite Product PageArtRage for iOS Product PageArtRage for Android Product PageArtRage  Android Oil Painter Free Product PageArtRage  Free Demos Page

Thread: max size?

max size?

I know this was probably covered elsewhere but I can't find it right now. What's the biggest canvas size will AR except and is that size dependent on the ppi? I have a quad core and 20g ram, so I'd like to get the most out of it sometimes.

The last time I kept an open mind,
    my brain fell out and the dog grabbed it.
    Now it's full of dirt, toothmarks, and dog slobber.
    No more open minds or dogs for me.www.gms9810.com/

Hi Gms9810,
    I'm not sure AR dose have an inherent maximum size?
    I think it's more of a question of when dose it become too unresponsive for the user, which all depends on the user's hardware.
    The three main things for a speedy AR are:
    Fast muti core CPU, Lots of fast RAM and a Fast HD
    Of those three, I think RAM will be the Achilles heal. At some point you'r gone'a run out of it! Where as the CPU and HD will only just need more time to complete operation as their work load increases.
    Still, I too would be interested to know where the ceiling is for your setup.
    It maybe time to experiment!
    Here's a link to a test canvas I made, in another thread about making large canvases. Maybe you can let us know how it goes for you: https://forums.artrage.com/showthrea...705#post460705

As for ppi, yes it's a factor as it adds more data to be calculated, but in reality there comes a point where the bigger the canvas the lower the ppi can be. Simply because the viewer will typically not be close enough to notice as they need to be further away to view the whole painting.
    Last edited by markw; 07-20-2015 at 10:58 PM.
    Maker Of Replica Macoys

Techie Stuff:
    ArtRage 5.0.5 ~ 15" Macbook Pro
    + 22" HD Monitor ~ macOS 10.12.6 ~ 4 Core i7 3.1GHz CPU ~ 16GB RAM ~ Wacom Intuos4 M and a Spyder4Pro (to keep the colours true!)

Yup, the upper limit is "whatever your computer can handle". If you're using 64 bit ArtRage, then it will use as much RAM as your system will allow (this depends on the operating system as well as the hardware).

I can get up to around 18,000 here before my computer starts to slow down too much for comfort, and I don't have anywhere near those specs.
    Ambient Design Tech Support & Community Manager

This is not my signature.

Go forth and read the tutorials. Also, check out the featured artists!

ok, at 20G I should be able to rock and roll. I'll try different sizes and let everybody know what I find out.

The last time I kept an open mind,
    my brain fell out and the dog grabbed it.
    Now it's full of dirt, toothmarks, and dog slobber.
    No more open minds or dogs for me.www.gms9810.com/