Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Creative 'Ideaing' Software

Gallery
    View images

Creative 'Ideaing' Software

Hello, as a long time 'player' of Artrage and Artrage2 I have benefited from the relaxed and creative aspect of the software. This past week I have been trying to look for a piece of software with the same ethos as ArtRage, but for capturing ideas a references. Let me explain:

When I get an idea or inspiration for a future project, be it an animation, painting or website interface, I collect images, references, pieces of music, videos, website links etc into a folder. Example (for a future project I might do about a witches house that can walk):

This is a fairly normal thing todo, but is rather restrictive. What I really need is to put them all on one page, so they can be moved around, resized etc. Like reference images in artrage.

So then I search for idea gathering software, and all I find are ones that are as ceative and natural as a big mac meal:

What I need is something with the ease and grace of Artrage's image reference loading and manipulation, but on a larger scale, being able to load in videos, music and write notes etc. A kinda digital scrapbook that allows me to organise things naturally and fits the way my brain (and i would assume most creative brains) work. For example, making certain references larger on the screen the more important they are, or being able to add a new piece of paper to the scap page and scribble down some ideas, or write a note, to be able to drag in web links, which get pinned too it and can be run.

Sorta like a digital pin board or scrapbook:

It would be nice to hear if anyone has found software like this? and/or have a discussion on uses and suggestions for it.

Gallery
    View images
    Hi Chipmandoo,

Have you tried looking around "scrapbook" programs?

I would love to have a system like you describe, so I'll start looking myself.

Phil
    Luck is infatuated with the efficient.

Gallery
    View images
    yes, that was my first place of looking. Unfortunatly they all look like 'publisher' type programs from the mid 90's.

The closest thing I got to it was iWeb, part of the iLife package for Macs. But I have PC, and it still isn't exacally what I would like.

Gallery
    View images
    That's a lot of criteria to satisfy in an easy program.

Have you looked at ACDSee? I used to have a PC and I used an earlier version of it all the time. It was primarily a viewer but over time has added many cataloging features. I wished they supported the MAC, but that stopped while its development was still in the Dark Ages. And now I've learned to not rely on any program and label my backup disks well. It's because I have so much reference off my hard drive. Information overload can be counterproductive I've found.

Looking at your outline trees above, rather than doing it within a computer program, maybe doing it on paper and scanning it in would be enough.

When I was getting into writing and collecting pics, it seemed too labor intensive from where I was coming from. It stole all my energy from my primary creative pursuits. Enough was enough.

But, if you're the keeper of an archive database at a studio or something where people come to you for specific pics, then it would make sense to build something elaborate. (Or if you're a creative type with a lot of down time.)

Good luck. Perhaps you can share what you find. And maybe try the ACDSee demo? It is good for pics, movies, can catalog, can input from a digital camera, and MAY even have a way to save links.

But again, I haven't used it in a while.

Gallery
    View images
    Take a look at Microsoft OneNote. It is a little more than you asked for, but it has some key features for you:

- you can lay out "pages" any way you like, and make them longer/bigger dynamically
    - you can include pictures, text, even files in your notebook
    - Objects can be moved around without regard to line spacing or other constraints
    - you can easily clip items from your computer screen or web browser and send them as a page to OneNote.
    - items from the web also have the web address attached to them

Note that it is NOT a drawing program - it is an information/notetaking tool. You can handwrite (and it becomes searchable!) and you can draw in the with a pen - there are just no artistic tools in the sense of AR, PS, Illustrator, etc.

You can download a trial version from MS.

D.

Gallery
    View images
    Hi Drzeller et al.

I've downloaded that Onenote program trial.

It does exactly what I want to do.

It needs MattRage to sort out the Ui, but overall it's an amazing prog.

Downloading was simple, once I had battled my way past Microsoft paranoia. I think I had to give my shoe size! Plus it kept sneering at my passwords until I made it too tricky to remember. :cry:

With a Wacom pen it's very easy to move stuff about, draw arrows, insert pics, do free hand drawing and writing. I've only had it for about 1 hour so there's still lots to learn.

Phil

-------------------------------------

Edit

This is a page with bits of your stuff, bits of mine, some pen work, an audio clip, a video clip etc.

Ambient would do it so much better! but the features are all there.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Gallery
    View images

Petite Probleme!

Onenote, and other 2007 MS products, have a bug.

Installing Onenote changes the Spell Checker on Outlook Express to French, it cannot be altered. Big Bill doesn't appear to be listening at the moment.

It would never happen with Ambient.

Phil

http://forums.microsoft.com/TechNet/...0738&SiteID=17

Gallery
    View images
    That's got to be one of the weirder reports - a French spelling bee -- er bug.

"C'est la vie, mon frer." - Microsoft

Thanks for the heads up. I was going to download it and try it out on my wife's PC. Not now.

Gallery
    View images
    Bill says "Go fish!"

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/932974

Phil

Gallery
    View images
    Hi, i can't seem to find a place to download this? Is it actually free, or part of the Office Package.

And still its not completely perfect, it looks very 'businessy' still and not an organic and easy to use system like artrage. Can it load in movies?