ArtRage 5 Product PageArtRage Lite Product PageArtRage for iOS Product PageArtRage for Android Product PageArtRage  Android Oil Painter Free Product PageArtRage  Free Demos Page

Thread: How can I stop rotation of my imported PS brushes

How can I stop rotation of my imported PS brushes

Computer: Lenovo 64bit 12 GB
    ArtRage 4

I have imported my PS brushes into AR. I can access them. The only problem now is that every time I click on the page my image is rotated randomly in a new direction. How can I make them stay the same position and let ME manually determine that position I can make no sense of that "Spray Variation Chart!"
    Thanks,
    Paul

Hello and welcome to the AR forums p4aul

Yes that Spray Variation Panel is a bit daunting to look at!
    If you are seeing any rotation of the brush head it will be responding to a setting some place. Check to see if you have set something in the Rotation row.
    If you do a web search for ArtRage stickerspray tool you should find some useful tutorials.
    To get you started here's one I found: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6oj2MCR0LXc

It is worth noting though that when .abr brushes are first imported to AR they all get given the same default settings regardless of what they may have had in Photoshop. As in my first screenshot. (here I'm using a cloud brush made by Aaron Blais)
    So to get an imported brush working as or as near as it did outside of AR you will have to experiment with the setting I'm afraid.
    In the second screenshot you can see the adjustments I had to make.
    The Sheet Row and Sheet Column settings can always be discarded with .abr brushes as they only use on image stamp for the brush head with no alternative stamps to choose from.
    Name:  1.png
Views: 38
Size:  92.2 KB Name:  2.png
Views: 39
Size:  104.2 KB
    Maker Of Replica Macoys

Techie Stuff:
    ArtRage 5.0.5 ~ 15" Macbook Pro
    + 22" HD Monitor ~ macOS 10.12.6 ~ 4 Core i7 3.1GHz CPU ~ 16GB RAM ~ Wacom Intuos4 M and a Spyder4Pro (to keep the colours true!)

UPDATE: I've been playing around, altering one value at a time. I've stopped the rotation, that was easier than I thought. Just cleared everything in the rotation row. For leaves on trees I see that I'll need to keep rotation.

Still need to have some way to rotate manually though, Any thoughts on that?

Hi thanks for answering! What would happen if I just cleared the Rotation Row? Could I still rotate it manually and how would I do that?
    Thanks
    Last edited by p4aul; 07-18-2015 at 04:56 AM.

Yes, you can rotate it manually as you work.
    But it can only be done from within the Spray Variation panel. So it will need to be open as you work.
    On the Rotation row, set a value only at the intersection of Rotation & Base Value. Changing the percentage here while you work will rotate the brush head. And make sure there are no other green or purple tokens present on the Rotation row which may influence your rotation setting.
    Maker Of Replica Macoys

Techie Stuff:
    + 22" HD Monitor ~ macOS 10.12.6 ~ 4 Core i7 3.1GHz CPU ~ 16GB RAM ~ Wacom Intuos4 M and a Spyder4Pro (to keep the colours true!)

OK on that But now I have another problem! Clearing the Rotation row is not permanent! If I do something else and then com back to the sticker brush Evertthing has been reset! How do I save my changes I make in the Spray Variation chart?
    Thanks,
    Paul

To keep any changes/setting you have made for future use, before swapping brushes save them first as a new Preset.
    To access the Preset Saving window;
    Key command is, ctrl+shift+P for Windows OS and cmd+shift+P for Mac.
    Or Click the 'New Preset' button at the top of the Presets panel.
    Or Click anywhere in the top field of the Settings panel to get a drop down menu and choose 'New Preset' from that.
    In the Preset Saveing window you can choose/set the following;
    Choose an existing Group for your preset to live in or make and name a new Group to put it in.
    Name the new preset.
    Set an icon for the new preset (by clicking on the square icon on the left side of the window).
    Select whether or not the current tool size and colour should be remembered.
    Maker Of Replica Macoys

Techie Stuff:

Whew that's going to be difficult as I have a hundred brushes at least! In doing a picture you need several types of clouds, trees, leaves and grasses. It's going to be a tedious job. It's easier in PS but you don't get those gorgeous paint effects!