ArtRage 5 Product PageArtRage Lite Product PageArtRage for iOS Product PageArtRage for Android Product PageArtRage  Android Oil Painter Free Product PageArtRage  Free Demos Page

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Default 72 DPI - How to change please?

Default 72 DPI - How to change please?

I have had a look at how to make a default in "Resize painting " to 300 DPI

Default 72 DPI

Has anyone found a way to make a default at 300 DPI plus a set image size?

Regards Rob

Yes you can only set a different canvas texture to be the default when AR opens but not the ppi or size.
    Options:
    1: Save some canvases presets as you would want them.
    Then in the future after launching AR go immediately to File > New Painting and load your desired preset.
    2: (my preferred method) Save your canvas presets as actual .ptg files and launch AR by opening one of these.
    Be sure to do the first save of your work though as a 'Save Painting As…' otherwise you will overwrite the base .ptg file with your work.
    One big advantage of this method is that the base .ptg painting can also contain any number of "extras" pre-loaded, e.g. specific tools, pre-grouped layers, layer textures etc… anything in fact that can normally be saved within a painting can be in them already waiting for you.
    I have different base paintings for sketching, watercolours, oil painting etc… all pre-loaded with what I know I will always need.
    Last edited by markw; 07-13-2015 at 06:06 AM.
    Maker Of Replica Macoys

Techie Stuff:
    ArtRage 5.0.5 ~ 15" Macbook Pro
    + 22" HD Monitor ~ macOS 10.12.6 ~ 4 Core i7 3.1GHz CPU ~ 16GB RAM ~ Wacom Intuos4 M and a Spyder4Pro (to keep the colours true!)

Thats a shame

Many thanks for the reply Mark,

Yes this is the current method I use.

Could we have in future versions of AR a preset so I can increase by default a DPI of my choice please.

Regards Rob

Noted, and I'll pass it along.

However, it may help to remember that DPI isn't actually fixed until you export the image, and has no effect on the actual pixel size (if you set the canvas size in pixels).
    Ambient Design Tech Support & Community Manager

This is not my signature.

Go forth and read the tutorials. Also, check out the featured artists!

Interesting

Can I confirm please Hannah.

If I say drew an image and default 72 DPI

I then later say whoops I need that to be 300 DPI for print to canvas purposes, I then go into edit resize canvas and see 72 DPI.

I now change this to 300 DPI and all is good for an export to the printers firm I use.

Just like to make sure no details are lost or any changes to the image. As i would have thought when drawing at 72 DPI to make a change to 300 DPI something would be lost in the process and way better to have started at 300 DPI ?

So if this is the case 72 DPI can be changed to 300 DPI at any stage, I might as well start at 72 DPI and CPU would be down by a massive amount, no lag with the pen etc.

Am I correct on the above ?

Regards Rob

I'm going to back track here... (see post below)
    Last edited by Someonesane; 07-17-2015 at 04:36 AM.
    Nothing is easy to the unwilling.

Dpi

Hello Someone insane

Many thanks for coming back to me re DPI and print.

Just to clarify the information if I took a flip phone and took an image the quality could not be improved even if I was to change the setting to 240 DPI in say photoshop, Original say flip phone is 100 DPI, it cannot be changed so at the printers it come out as a 100 DPI not a 240 DPI - So in general you always go with best DPI at start of a photograph - However we talking drawing here not photography, I am still not to clear here with your answer but very impressed with your efforts thank you.

If I draw at 72 DPI (not a photograph a drawing) I can later increase the DPI without any degrade to the actual print onto the printed canvas ?

Monitors are 72 DPI and Print 300 DPI and I am printing some images and there all need to be 300 DPI

I re read your answer again a few more times as I feel I missed something important.

Regards Rob

I've removed my previous post, because it was a little off track. DPI (dot per inch) is a printer option, which changes how many dots per inch are used while printing (the higher the amount, the better). PPI (Pixels per inch) relates to the resolution of an image. The more pixels per inch in an image, the more detail. I don't believe ArtRage has a way to change the DPI setting of an image. It's canvas and resize panels only mention Pixel Per Inch and changing that value will change how the image is seen.
    Nothing is easy to the unwilling.

This stuff can make your brain melt!

AR's manual has some comments on this subject, p19 to p23.
    I would also recommend a read of Tutor Tanith's webpage on ppi/dpi and printing digital work: http://www.tutortanith.com/imagesizing2.htm

But knowing what you are aiming for from the outset will always help. i.e. the final printed size, the intend viewing distance, the substrate being printed on and to some extent your personal style of painting.
    These factors will all have a bearing on the choice of ppi/dpi needed for a good print result.
    Also not all printing firms were created equal. Some are better than others!

As far as I am aware there is only one generally available paint program that truly doesn't care about ppi/dpi or canvas dimensions, before or during painting, and that is Mischief. (Are there others?)
    Because Mischief is capable of near infinite zooming you only need set the ppi/dpi and the dimensions for your painting right at the end just before export. So in theory you can print the same painting at any size, as the whim takes you. A 6"x4" postcard or a 6'x4' poster.
    However, for me, this is the only thing it has going for it at the moment as the toolset you have to work with is very limited compared to most other paint programs.
    So for me it remains just a curiosity for the time being but one I shall keep an eye on for the future.
    Maker Of Replica Macoys

Techie Stuff:
    ArtRage 5.0.5 ~ 15" Macbook Pro
    + 22" HD Monitor ~ macOS 10.12.6 ~ 4 Core i7 3.1GHz CPU ~ 16GB RAM ~ Wacom Intuos4 M and a Spyder4Pro (to keep the colours true!)

DPI me out dudes

Thank you for the reply Mark,

Yes it can fry your mind a tad when working with the printers.

To date the images I have painted in AR have been set in size from the start.

Mainly portraits and the customer is asked for a fixed size, last one was A2.

So I set the image to A2 in AR and 300 DPI I never yet seen any of these images as I upload to a company and they print on to a canvas with frame and then these one off's are then sent to peoples homes.

So far I not had any complaints from customers, I am now going to print some other art work off for a gallery and perfection always in the persons mind.

For now I set to what I know IE keep to a size I like for the printer and 300 DPI, if anyone can be sure in the area of can I do 72 DPI and increase and get a 300 DPI at the printers I wish to know, I have made the mistake of painting and 60 % way through said oh no its 72 DPI (yes always check) rather than chance the print I re start the painting and then wished I stuck to paints as in oils etc.

Thanks again for the feed back.

Regards Rob