ArtRage 5 Product PageArtRage Lite Product PageArtRage for iOS Product PageArtRage for Android Product PageArtRage  Android Oil Painter Free Product PageArtRage  Free Demos Page

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: An Apple

An Apple

I've been trying for a more painterly look.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Apple.jpg 
Views:	52 
Size:	133.9 KB 
ID:	86923
    June.

Oh God of homeless things, look down
    And try to ease the way
    Of all the little weary paws
    That walk the world
    today.
    -
    Unknown.

http://enug66.deviantart.com/gallery/

Great!!!
    I like very much this particular style!!!
    Regards from Chile
    "El arte no reproduce lo visible. Lo hace visible" Paul Klee

damasocl is right, this is a very nice approach, and well executed.

Pretty nice. I can see what you're doing. Personally, the mixed media/mixed technique is not as satisfying as if you remained consistent -- in this case. I've seen it work well where the placement of the painterly was strategic in order to offer to the viewer a skillful mix of cool marks. In this case, it makes the background rather bland and safe and unpainterly by comparison.

I understand this is an experiment and I offer comment in that spirit of analysis seeking preference.

Listen, anything works for any situation. So I'm not offering rules. I'm speaking of this particular picture. I would suggest as you experiment that you consider the background as an integral part of the painting and thus attend to all parts of the picture with a similar ownership. . . ultimately. It's a consciousness thing. You're dealing with a whole canvas because a whole canvas will be seen. If you are simplifying in order to isolate the subject like an illustration in a botanical journal, then well and good. But it won't be a painting. It will be a technical illustration. If you are doing it like a product shot in photography, then aim at that. If you're doing something you might see in a travel magazine, (less academic), you might want to consider some bleeding away from the subject with a few swashy but purposeful strokes.

Right now, as you have done it, it's a good first crack. And I'm suggesting possible things to look at as ways to enhance this kind of thing. Backgrounds that are thought of separately rarely work, and often by mere luck, unless you already know why you're doing it and are okay with that.
    Last edited by D Akey; 07-10-2015 at 08:43 AM.
    "Not a bit is wasted and the best is yet to come. . ." -- remembered from a dream

I am a man of few words but this I actually like a lot the colors are technically perfect in my eyes. and the simplicity of it is calming to me I love it.

Thank you all for such wonderful input. I want so much to get away from putting in detail but I'm finding it a struggle - so every suggestion is very gratefully received. DA - I understand what you are saying about the background and I can see the importance of that. Not offering an excuse but I was concentrating so much on the subject that I didn't really give a thought to the execution of the background.

I've been searching the net for some tutorials but there is very little out there for digital impressionism or indeed using the knife. I have also been experimenting with knife settings - I think I may have found one that I will play with today. I'm aware that I also have to know how to put down colour. So much to learn but it's fun!

Another thing that bothers me is that I don't have a style of my own - I can copy but I want to find something that is 'mine'. So many of you here have that - as soon as I look at your paintings I can identify the artist. I wasn't going to name any names but Drskmisra who hasn't been painting very long, already has an identifiable style. Perhaps it's the palette he uses but you immediately recognise it as one of his. Good work Drskmisra!

I can hear you all saying that I should use a reference just for that and not slavishly try and reproduce it.
    June.

And try to ease the way
    That walk the world
    today.
    -
    Unknown.

Great beginnings, June. I too struggle with detail

Jean, your's is one of the names I didn't mention. I just love your paintings.

I guess what I'm trying to say is that while I feel I have a dress style that is me and a favourite perfume that is my signature, I don't have a painting style that says 'me'.
    June.

And try to ease the way
    That walk the world
    today.
    -
    Unknown.

June, this is very nice, don't worry some day all of a sudden it will hit you and wamo that is your style

Thanks Jean for the encouraging words - you are another with 'style'.
    June.

And try to ease the way
    That walk the world
    today.
    -
    Unknown.