Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: This is to the AR team

I personally see the possibility in the future of having to think more about having commercial programs run on Linux as a second option instead of Mac/Apple. Mac is putting all it's development into their gold mine of phones and paying less attention to personal computers and their operating systems. Linux offers far more freedom for the user instead of the total control over your computer the direction Microsoft/Windows seems to be moving, their latest baby is the cloud (kind of reminds me of the Borg in Star Trek, the next Generation). You can still obtain complete operating systems with customize software with many Linux flavors, and software additions (using Debian 8.3 with Synaptic Package Manager all 3 ISO images) without any internet connection dependency. Why windows and all these commercial software applications no longer allow you to install their programs from discs free of any internet connection is a sad commentary about the direction they are all moving, both options should continue to be available as they were throughout the 2000's decade, that offers far more freedom of choice for the user.

I have tried Krita on Linux and Windows and find this program to be very good and improving. Another one is MyPaint a program I like even better than Krita, this program has very good blending brushes. There are other programs on Linux like Pinta for artwork and graphics along with Inkscape for vector artwork, a good alternative if you cannot afford Adobe Illustrator or Corel Draw. Here we are not just considering the expense of the programs yet the latest versions dependency on the expense of having the internet and a newer hardware computer. I am personally spending more time using the program Blender for still renders of one frame, cannot use the latest versions on Windows 7 due to some requirement about needing GL 2.1 yet the same program works fine on several Linux operating systems on the same computer.

The way this software rat race is going to keep up with the latest and greatest we'll create ten times as much garbage and be throwing away everything before it has reached its complete cycle of usability, not really that good for the environment and conservation of resources. With respect to this reality Linux is a God sent created by good people that help extend the use of your computer resources. I believe the commercial software companies should start paying more attention to longevity and freedom of choice for their users, get a bad feeling about giving them total control of your computer and how you use it, leaves you open to far more exploitation.

I personally like Art Rage, been with it from the beginning, the very first program I ever attempted any graphic arts painting and drawing with. Art Rage is not as stringent on your computer use as Adobe or Corel, allows more freedom and requires less money spent on hardware, software, and internet, it is a program of good quality. The interface is also unique compared to other programs has a better natural media artwork feeling.
    The very first digital art program that I worked with Art Rage 1

You may visit my personally designed website at: www.stephenlopiano.com
    There is one section full of pages there under the Digital Artwork category that is devoted entirely to paintings I have created with Art Rage.

I agree. Krita is excellent except for crashing at inopportune times. Mypaint.....is ok. I rarely use linux but I do on occasion and see your point. Personally, I think Macs are on their way out, and I could be wrong so don't get out the tar and feathers. I wish they would reduce the versions of linux and thus reducing the compiling etc, which I always mess up. I prefer mint but would use something else if they would make their minds up.
    I have five drawing/painting programs but I still use AR the most. I only have one issue with it but I don't think is can or would be fixed because it's a minor thing. If I put a stroke of oil paint down then switch to watercolor a brush with nothing but water will thin the oil. In other words there is no discrimination between media. Everything works with everything. After having said that I'll also say that this can be used to the artist's advantage and can produce fun results. The brush engine on his new version is really good.
    I also use:
    Krita
    Paintstom, which is excellent in the way it in the way handles paint. It takes a lot of learning.
    Artweaver which also takes a learning curve but is also good. There is a free and pay version.
    And PD artist, made by project dogwaffle (Who thinks these name up?) I just got it recently and am really impressed.
    AR though is still my first love digitally. It helped me to move into the world of traditional media, which I mainly do now. Still I fire up AR every now and then just for fun.

The last time I kept an open mind,
    my brain fell out and the dog grabbed it.
    Now it's full of dirt, toothmarks, and dog slobber.
    No more open minds or dogs for me.www.gms9810.com/

Forgot one important one.

I forgot to mention one of the best programs for open source graphic arts, The GIMP. This program has really improved or the past decade and works very well on all operating systems, also no problems with graphic tablets on any Linux or Windows operating systems.
    The very first digital art program that I worked with Art Rage 1

You may visit my personally designed website at: www.stephenlopiano.com
    There is one section full of pages there under the Digital Artwork category that is devoted entirely to paintings I have created with Art Rage.