ArtRage 5 Product PageArtRage Lite Product PageArtRage for iOS Product PageArtRage for Android Product PageArtRage  Android Oil Painter Free Product PageArtRage  Free Demos Page

Thread: saving

saving

Many times i ask meself if i'm working with multiple layers and i call the piece done? what do i save ?,1 layer by collapsing them or do i have to put them all in a "group".For the moment i always do the 1st option but i was wondering if there was a other way?

Hi Rondo,
    I suppose it comes down to whatever works for the individual.
    Myself I tend to leave whatever layers and groups there may finally be by the end of a painting as they are in the layer stack and just export a final image.
    The project I will then compress to a .zip file and archive. (Just in case I want or need to return to it at some future date).
    The incremental versions and backups of the painting I made while working on it I will delete.
    But having said that, if it's just something I was messing around with or thumbnailing ideas, I might keep a final image from it but delete the actual AR file without archiving.
    Maker Of Replica Macoys

Techie Stuff:
    ArtRage 5.0.5 ~ 15" Macbook Pro
    + 22" HD Monitor ~ macOS 10.12.6 ~ 4 Core i7 3.1GHz CPU ~ 16GB RAM ~ Wacom Intuos4 M and a Spyder4Pro (to keep the colours true!)

So if i get ye right? if i have 3 layers each with a different color and save the 1st layer? then i'm gone have them all tree?And what about the saving in Artrage format and exporting formats?to be honest? i'm confused;(

Quote Originally Posted by Rondo View Post
    So if i get ye right? if i have 3 layers each with a different color and save the 1st layer? then i'm gone have them all tree?...(
    Humm, possibly…
    But I wonder if we are in danger here of confusing "Saving" and "Exporting" and to which we are referring…?
    The "Save" functions are global and apply to the whole of a painting, all Layers, all Groups will be included. And the painting will remain as a .ptg file.
    But you can 'Export' the whole painting, as it appears on your screen, or just individual layers as other image formats but not as the .ptg format.
    Name:  Screen Shot 2015-07-04 at 14.21.06.png
Views: 40
Size:  26.6 KB

To illustrate my previous post, below is a screenshot of what the Layers stack might typically look like for me at the end of a painting. In this case it consists 13 Layers spread amongst 4 Groups. And will remain like this.
    At this point I will go to; File > 'Export Image File…' In the window that opens I will choose a location and image format appropriate to my needs.
    Next I will 'Save' the actual ArtRage painting in it's current state using; File > 'Save Painting…' or I may use 'Save Painting As…'
    Once that's done I can close down ArtRage, find the .ptg painting file I've just finished working on and compress it to a .zip file for safe keeping and archive it.
    I can now safely delete the original painting file, plus any associated versions/backups made whilst painting it.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Layer Stack.jpg 
Views:	13 
Size:	83.1 KB 
ID:	86912
    Maker Of Replica Macoys

Techie Stuff:
    ArtRage 5.0.5 ~ 15" Macbook Pro
    + 22" HD Monitor ~ macOS 10.12.6 ~ 4 Core i7 3.1GHz CPU ~ 16GB RAM ~ Wacom Intuos4 M and a Spyder4Pro (to keep the colours true!)