ArtRage 5 Product PageArtRage Lite Product PageArtRage for iOS Product PageArtRage for Android Product PageArtRage  Android Oil Painter Free Product PageArtRage  Free Demos Page

Thread: Boatman 4

Boatman 4

Back to River STYX Legend, I couldn't let this go without giving it another go, such an intriguing story from greek mythology, anyway here is Charon the boatman, taking a deceased person to the( Other side),land of the dead, I have a lost soul( someone who couldn't afford to pay) in the water attempting to board the ferry, I have " Death ", looking down on the next victim not allowing her to come on board, I think that's about it, I must have left something out....but I don't know what, so I am finished with this one and ready for the next... I fancy another greek mythology one, or at least something that will stretch my capabilities a bit more perhaps, any comments or ideas always welcome.......Jack.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	boatman 4.png.jpg 
Views:	24 
Size:	212.6 KB 
ID:	86878  
    http://jacktar51.cgsociety.org/
    Some of my artwork can be seen at the above link.......Jack.

Cool concept, though sad. A whole lot of storytelling in this one.

Looks nice. I think there are a few things you might consider when it comes to staging. The broadside angle is not quite giving you the drama I think you're after. And I think the gunnels could be lower into the water so that the soul who is trying to get into the boat is not having to sort of shoot out of the water so high. Also the weight of the girl is not causing the boat to rock at all. All this is fine. It gets the info across.

Were I staging it, and this is just me, I would do a 3/4 angle either from the bow or stern. It would give the piece more of a feeling of movement forward. And riding lower into the water with her hooking an elbow over. . . or with her arms up where she just lost her grip and the boat is pulling away from her. So if you were having the boat coming toward us somewhat, we would have the feeling of participation to disengage her, while conversely, were we looking from the stern, we would actually experience it from her forlorn perspective, as if we too had missed the passage ourselves along with her.

I love showing the nude body as much as you have. It adds an earthbound sensual quality, which could have implications of being held back from transcending to the afterlife (or underworld) based on not being able to let go. So halfway could be the message. And certainly a particular story would ensue from that if that's where you wanted to take it.

But you have a whole lot of good storytelling going on with this one and you're bringing a clear story as you've done it. Nice variation on a theme, Jack! Tell them stories!!!!

"Not a bit is wasted and the best is yet to come. . ." -- remembered from a dream

Very nice Jack, that poor woman lol

I understand they cannot refuse to give a lift to a beautiful lady, even if she's slighty dead and they just pick up her naked soul ...
    Panta rei (everything flows)!