ArtRage 5 Product PageArtRage Lite Product PageArtRage for iOS Product PageArtRage for Android Product PageArtRage  Android Oil Painter Free Product PageArtRage  Free Demos Page

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Watercolour Landscape

Watercolour Landscape

Having a play with watercolours.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Watercolour landscape.jpg 
Views:	46 
Size:	47.2 KB 
ID:	86830
    June.

Oh God of homeless things, look down
    And try to ease the way
    Of all the little weary paws
    That walk the world
    today.
    -
    Unknown.

http://enug66.deviantart.com/gallery/

Wow!
    A wonderful watercolor painting!!!
    Delicate, clean, fresh and well done.
    Regards from Chile
    "El arte no reproduce lo visible. Lo hace visible" Paul Klee

Excellent work!

just have to say" agree with the above" like it alot.

I like it a lot Enug! Great blend of colors.

Thank you, damasocl, DarkOwnt, Rondo and HwyStar - your comments are much appreciated.
    June.

And try to ease the way
    That walk the world
    today.
    -
    Unknown.

That's the way to build your visual vocabulary! Excellent. I love the way you simplified the far distance compared with the parts you wanted to both look at and come forward. Ordinarily the darkest darks you used in the middle ground would be reserved for the close foreground and then it would get naturally lighter as it receded. But on a graphic and stylized treatment like this it works great as you have it. Just goes to show you that context is very important and that there are many things that go into a painting beyond logic and formula. Formula tends to work, but so does this in a refreshing way.

Now it's on you to figure out why this rule breaking works so well and exploit that when it serves you. Otherwise it's just a lucky shot or copy of something that works on a shallower level until you get to the point of knowing what and wherefore. It does all come, if your mind works that way and I believe yours does where you have to master something cause just 'okay' isn't enug. . . I mean Enough. . . ach! this must be June as I'm all flustered from the heat outside. The garden police have been breathing doon me neck cause they just do.

Even if you did look at something that someone else did first, (not sure if you did or didn't) you should aim that analysis toward that which you view in order to make it your own. This one's well worth embracing as a technique. It's light, refreshing, makes a statement, sets a mood, all in a very facile way that looks almost like water just pooled on it's own into a perfect shape, sort of like finding a rock that looks remarkably like the Virgin Mary or something. Sorta makes you want to fall to your knees and weep. . . only mind the tears in the watercolor. Could work though. . . it is watercolor after all and you're crafting natural elements in a way. The Zen crowd would appreciate it on that level alone. . .

But I digress. Nice painting. Do two more in a row using the technique and we'll talk.

"Not a bit is wasted and the best is yet to come. . ." -- remembered from a dream

Dear Mr. DA - was wondering if you were OK!

Painting based on this photo - Public Domain

Name:  ref.jpg
Views: 132
Size:  18.9 KB
    June.

And try to ease the way
    That walk the world
    today.
    -
    Unknown.

Quote Originally Posted by Enug View Post
    Dear Mr. DA - was wondering if you were OK!

Painting based on this photo - Public Domain
    Oh, thanks for the concern. Was on a short visit way up the coast where they get hours of twilight. To my surprise they didn't even have cell phone reception with my provider. I did not know such places still existed with satellites whipping all about the heavens. Truth to tell, I didn't mind at all.

As to the photo translation into a painting, wonderful! Very fine job!
    "Not a bit is wasted and the best is yet to come. . ." -- remembered from a dream

Very well painted. I like this very much
    As a tip for your experiments You may wish to explore too, I could suggest to use also appropriate settings of the wet blender to better fuse layers at some shapes borders, o try very low level of loading on rough paper with watercolor in order have scattered leaves impression and, in the whole, smooth down some tones transitions while keeping some texture of the instant dry layer on the lower one.
    Panta rei (everything flows)!