ArtRage 5 Product PageArtRage Lite Product PageArtRage for iOS Product PageArtRage for Android Product PageArtRage  Android Oil Painter Free Product PageArtRage  Free Demos Page

Thread: Piero di Cosimo (1461-1522) An early fantasyworld painter

Piero di Cosimo (1461-1522) An early fantasyworld painter

A discovery I made outside the ususal bunch of great masters. Piero di Cosimo, from Renaissance to early Mannerism.
    Somehow a Mediterranean Breughel or Bosch, disquieting, but in a more subtle way, without a manifest dim anguish and disgust in my modest opinion. If he were free to get rid of constraints, canons and formalitie of his age and allowed to paint freely, he would have probably somehow anticipated Salvador Dalì visions or have been one of his references (presumably with el Greco).
    All the above is just my thought, but I'm not an expert or an art historian. Anyway have a look here if you like and feel curious:

https://www.google.it/search?q=piero...a%3B2200%3B907

From Wikipedia:
    Italian (more interesting and expanded): https://it.wikipedia.org/wiki/Piero_di_Cosimo
    English (very poor and conventional): https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Piero_di_Cosimo
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	PdC.jpg 
Views:	89 
Size:	72.5 KB 
ID:	86821  
    Last edited by Caesar; 06-16-2015 at 09:12 PM.
    Panta rei (everything flows)!

Increíble!
    Jamás había visto esta obra...
    Gracias por compartirla, y comentarla...!
    Regards from Chile
    "El arte no reproduce lo visible. Lo hace visible" Paul Klee

I LOVE it! I've of course heard the name but I didn't know he had such fun paintings. Great sharing. Thanks Caesar. Must be fun realizing there's probably something to reincarnation, as this could well have been you.

"Not a bit is wasted and the best is yet to come. . ." -- remembered from a dream

Glad You appreciated this curiosity. I certainly share with him a versatility of interest and subjects, certainly not the rank of master and not even od true artist I'd say.
    Actually this painter is usually hardly known and considered for his more conventional paintings, but he was so eclectic and rich of interests that it would have been a continuous surprise if he only could benefit of the broader concept, freedom and "dignified" status of modern artists, i.e last couple of centuries more or less.
    As a matter of fact the term artist is applied to almost anyone in these days, not only to top masters of the traditional art disciplines (almost actor or stylist or pop musician etc., even unsuccessful ones are defined that way). It makes me laugh to think that Renaissance major artists were often also amazing theatre directors, stylist and costume designers, machinery engineers, set designers, authors, events show and entertainment organizers etc. in the various courts, just as a brilliant and appreciated spin off of their main talents, which, quite often, included phylosophycal, alchemic/natural and literary competences, while so many exceptional artisans who were excellent designer and manufacturer of certain luxury products, more comparable to most of todays so called artists, didn't dare to define themself so highly.
    Panta rei (everything flows)!

Caesar, what a magnificent painting, you worked so hard on this and it paid off ten fold, what patience you have, wonderful work, glad I checked out 2nd page, I missed so much