ArtRage 5 Product PageArtRage Lite Product PageArtRage for iOS Product PageArtRage for Android Product PageArtRage  Android Oil Painter Free Product PageArtRage  Free Demos Page

Thread: Make a selection by color

Make a selection by color

I just want to make sure I haven't missed anything:

There is still no way to make a selection by color in Artrage, right? (I am using version 4.5.4.)

Oh, I get so frustrated without this. I have been a user of Artrage for about two years.

And also, I'd love to be able to save/load selections already made.

You can select an area of colour using the Magic Wand tool. Is this what you were looking for?

Name:  magic wand 4.jpg
Views: 78
Size:  19.2 KB
    Ambient Design Tech Support & Community Manager

This is not my signature.

Go forth and read the tutorials. Also, check out the featured artists!

Thank you HannahRage for your reply.

It's a bit embarrasing... I forgot some very important words in my question from yesterday...

This is what I meant:

There is still no way to select by color in multiple areas, right? I want to select maybe hundreds of smaller, non-connected, areas with the same color in one go. I can't believe this is not implemented in Artrage. It is so annoying. Or is it just me?

Be able to save/load selections would be nice too. Maybe even better.

Lynda.com author, Digital Tutors instructor
    Quote Originally Posted by mats77 View Post
    Thank you HannahRage for your reply.

It's a bit embarrasing... I forgot some very important words in my question from yesterday...

This is what I meant:

There is still no way to select by color in multiple areas, right? I want to select maybe hundreds of smaller, non-connected, areas with the same color in one go. I can't believe this is not implemented in Artrage. It is so annoying. Or is it just me?

Be able to save/load selections would be nice too. Maybe even better.
    This is not a direct answer to your question but, if you always use layers for the different colours then you can select the background of a layer and invert the selection, thus selecting all of your elements. BTW, I don't believe there is a non-contiguous selection option like in PSD.

ArtRage4.5.9 MACPRO (El Capitan), Wacom Cintiq 13HD, iPad3, Note 4, Wacom Intous & Nomad Brush Compose.
    ArtRage Courses: Intro to AR, Materials in AR, Portraits in AR (http://tinyurl.com/j6cyvwx)

You can select each area individually using the Add mode, but if you have a lot of smaller areas, the suggestion above is likely to work much better for you. You can also use the other modes to subtract individual areas and generally edit your selection.
    Ambient Design Tech Support & Community Manager

This is not my signature.

Go forth and read the tutorials. Also, check out the featured artists!

Quote Originally Posted by Victor Osaka View Post
    This is not a direct answer to your question but, if you always use layers for the different colours then you can select the background of a layer and invert the selection, thus selecting all of your elements.
    Yes, I do use that method from time to time. The problem is that if there are some areas that are "hidden" (i.e. within or behind other areas so to speak), they will not be selected.

Quote Originally Posted by Victor Osaka View Post
    BTW, I don't believe there is a non-contiguous selection option like in PSD.
    No, you are probably right.

I am just so surprised that it is not there and not more people seem to request it. Am I using some crazy ways of working?

Quote Originally Posted by HannahRage View Post
    You can select each area individually using the Add mode, but if you have a lot of smaller areas, the suggestion above is likely to work much better for you. You can also use the other modes to subtract individual areas and generally edit your selection.
    Yes, that I do. But again, many smaller areas might be surrounded by larger areas, so there will still be a lot of manual adding of smaller individual areas. In some of my work, many hundreds...

It would have been a dream to be able to save a selection, for later loading. I image that to be a quite cheap feature to implement. Just wish more people would like that too...