ArtRage 5 Product PageArtRage Lite Product PageArtRage for iOS Product PageArtRage for Android Product PageArtRage  Android Oil Painter Free Product PageArtRage  Free Demos Page

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Beware of this software!

Beware of this software!

I don't usually bash software but this is important. I was looking for another dvd burning prog and after trying some I tried one called BurnAware. Very bad mistake. I wanted it to just remove some folders because they wouldn't fit o the dvd. It removed them, all of them. It deleted my entire documents folder. I back things up regularly but due to a one time event [which will never happen again] my backup folder was gone, don't ask why, now I'm missing 23,000+ files and at least 4 progs won't work.
    This is a public service announcement by George,

The last time I kept an open mind,
    my brain fell out and the dog grabbed it.
    Now it's full of dirt, toothmarks, and dog slobber.
    No more open minds or dogs for me.www.gms9810.com/

Holy sh*t! Sorry to hear that, George! I've had my run ins with technology failures and malicious doings. It SUCKS!!!!!

Good luck to you. Thanks for the warning. Had you bought the software?
    "Not a bit is wasted and the best is yet to come. . ." -- remembered from a dream

3. Personally, I'm loving those online cloud storages for backing up all my files <3. I usually save everything important straight into it. I have only a 50TB storage unit , but it's cheap . Yes, I learned the hard way too, by formatting my HD

(Deb

Last edited by DebDeeDawn; 06-06-2015 at 12:46 PM.

I don't quite trust this cloud system yet. I prefer to keep my data close at hand.

Quote Originally Posted by D Akey View Post
    Holy sh*t! Sorry to hear that, George! I've had my run ins with technology failures and malicious doings. It SUCKS!!!!!

Good luck to you. Thanks for the warning. Had you bought the software?
    I've been fighting this kind of thing a few times too. The aggravating and weird thing is that I back up the important folders every 2 weeks. Normally delete my backup and copy my data over it. This time I had backed up 3 dvd's worth and was going to backup my docs folder next except next didn't go as planned. In my opinion, no dvd burning prog should EVER be able to delete files under any circumstances. I sent them a very polite message, ok not so polite, ok, a nasty but very eloquent message telling them what I thought of them.

Quote Originally Posted by DebDeeDawn View Post
    Personally, I'm loving those online cloud storages for backing up all my files <3. I usually save everything important straight into it. I have only a 50TB storage unit , but it's cheap . Yes, I learned the hard way too, by formatting my HD

(Deb

The only thing that concerns me about these cloud situations is some storage systems previously in their TOC's indicated that any material uploaded to it could be used by them in any way without permission.

I'd rather keep my copies on an external drive system.
    LogicsHere (Betty)
    http://bettylogic.50webs.com (Welcome to Betty's Place)
    http://logicmgmt.com/1876/splash.htm (1876 Victorian England Revisited)

I'm with you on that one. I don't trust the cloud, I'm very possessive about my files. Who knows, they could easily use our stuff, pass it on. Anyway, anything we put online is on a server somewhere, and who knows for how long or what's done with it. Could be handy while travelling but even that's a scary feeling wondering if photos eg will be there when you check back home

Also, it depends how much monthly internet quota people have. It costs to upload a lot of files. I have 2 external drives and back up to both.

Sorry you lost all those files, Gms9810. Very frustrating and disappointing.

Quote Originally Posted by hildee View Post
    I'm with you on that one. I don't trust the cloud, I'm very possessive about my files. Who knows, they could easily use our stuff, pass it on. Anyway, anything we put online is on a server somewhere, and who knows for how long or what's done with it. Could be handy while travelling but even that's a scary feeling wondering if photos eg will be there when you check back home

Also, it depends how much monthly internet quota people have. It costs to upload a lot of files. I have 2 external drives and back up to both.

Sorry you lost all those files, Gms9810. Very frustrating and disappointing.
    I got most of them back, from my Linux computer, the rest, oh well. Thanks for the shoulder to cry on.

Glad you got most of it back! We've all been there, done that. And if we haven't and we're proud of it, for sure it'll happen some time lol!

Ultimately it didn't matter. I had several minor problems that collectively were a pain so I ended up doing a complete windows clean re-install. Usually that takes a few days for me from the install and re adding the software all 193 progs to setting up and customizing everything and re importing all of the contacts, passwords, plugins etc. I expected it to be that way this time but I took more time in planning and preparing and ended up getting it done in a few hours.

I got the bright idea to gather up everything that needed to be installed including serial numbers, keys etc. and put it all one one dvd and copied my whole user folder onto one of my external drives. I still have a few minor things to do but it's done and everything works right again.