Thread: Setting your zoom to match print

Setting your zoom to match print

Hi there

On an iMac the screen dpi is 109

If I set my zoom to 109 / 72 = 152% I get an exact match between what I see on screen and that which come out of the printer.

It can be useful when you are determining your linesizes.

Mic

My screen resolution is 1920x1080x23" = 95.78 ( http://pxcalc.com/ )

So it would be 96/72 = 133%

What if I wanted it at 300ppi ?

I get confused with dpi and ppi - dpi I think refers to the printer ?
    June.

Oh God of homeless things, look down
    And try to ease the way
    Of all the little weary paws
    That walk the world
    today.
    -
    Unknown.

http://enug66.deviantart.com/gallery/

[My setup: hp 15in laptop,11th Gen Intel Core i7-1165G7 @ 2.80GHz 2.70 GHz, 8.00 GB RAM, 24in Acer 2nd monitor, Huion Kamvas 20 Pro display tablet, Windows 11, ArtRage Vitae.
    My painting real-estate is extended across three monitors.]

Quote Originally Posted by Enug View Post
    My screen resolution is 1920x1080x23" = 95.78 ( http://pxcalc.com/ )

So it would be 96/72 = 133%

What if I wanted it at 300ppi ?

I get confused with dpi and ppi - dpi I think refers to the printer ?
    Dots per inch and Pixels per inch are basically the same thing (or you're aiming for them to be). Each ink dot sould be a screen pixel. There's no harm/point in having more (higher) pixels, because there's only going to be one dot, but if you have fewer pixels per inch, that's the level it starts showing up at (ugh. DPI is one of those things that makes perfect sense in one's head, but turns to spaghetti as soon as you try and put it into words. Like printing with the wrong DPI )

MicMac's trick is letting you match the onscreen pixels to the printed dots.

Hi June
    72ppi is AR's default canvas ppi. To find the zoom % needed for viewing a canvas set to 300ppi, 1:1 you just need to do the same calculation again but use the ppi that you have set for the canvas instead of 72.

@micmac
    Neat trick that, thanks for the tip.
    Maker Of Replica Macoys

Techie Stuff:
    ArtRage Vitae 7.1.4 ~ 15" Macbook Pro
    ~ macOS 10.15.7 ~ 4 Core i7 3.1GHz CPU ~ 16GB RAM ~ Wacom Intuos4 M
    My Animal Paintings In The Forum Gallery
    On Instagram

Well, I'm still sort of confused.

I thought Mic's idea was to show the AR canvas as it would appear printed - i.e. showing canvas texture.

Using a ppi of 300 I did the same calculation and 32% was the answer I was given. Now applying this to a new canvas - 2667x2000px with a particular texture - viewing this at a zoom of 32% I can't see the texture at all. I have to increase the zoom to 120%+ to see the texture of the canvas.

Perhaps I have the wrong end of the stick and that's not what MicMac's post was saying at all.
    June.

And try to ease the way
    That walk the world
    today.
    -
    Unknown.

[My setup: hp 15in laptop,11th Gen Intel Core i7-1165G7 @ 2.80GHz 2.70 GHz, 8.00 GB RAM, 24in Acer 2nd monitor, Huion Kamvas 20 Pro display tablet, Windows 11, ArtRage Vitae.

Well perhaps some confusion may have crept in here but not to worry!
    What Micmac's formula allows, is for you to see on screen your canvas 1:1, life size as it would be in the real world.
    So for example June if you set up an A4 canvas @300ppi (I suggest you make it "landscape" i.e. wider than it is high, so it fits nicely within your monitor) and set your zoom level to 32%. You should now be able to hold a real A4 sheet of paper over AR's canvas on screen and have them pretty much matched in size.
    For me on my laptop screen I need to set AR's zoom level to 43% to get a real life size on screen.
    The canvas texture may or may not be visible after doing Micmac's calculation. That will depend on what canvas settings you have for Grain, Roughness, etc… I'm finding that most textures when loaded need to be tweaked to taste.
    Maker Of Replica Macoys

Techie Stuff:
    ArtRage Vitae 7.1.4 ~ 15" Macbook Pro
    ~ macOS 10.15.7 ~ 4 Core i7 3.1GHz CPU ~ 16GB RAM ~ Wacom Intuos4 M
    My Animal Paintings In The Forum Gallery
    On Instagram

Lynda.com author, Digital Tutors instructor
    Another way of approaching this.

For 1:1 scaling of final print and screen image size the formula is Screen Resolution divided by DPI/PPI = zoom value

My monitor resolution is 101 dots/pix per inch. My canvas is 300ppi

So, 101/300=.34 or 34%

You can determine your monitor resolution if you place a piece of paper (say 8.5x11) on your monitor and with the resize dialogue box enter in those values at 72ppi.

Now zoom in or out to match the width of the paper and look at the resulting zoom percentage (mine says 141%).

Zoom percentage multiplied by ppi equals monitor resolution (move the decimal over 2 places). ie. 141 x 72=101.52

Your canvas textures are not actually tied into the canvas zoom adjustment. It has more to do the the canvas resolution. True?

Just as brushes are sized by percentage not pixel resolution.
    Last edited by Victor Osaka; 06-07-2015 at 07:04 AM.

ArtRage4.5.9 MACPRO (El Capitan), Wacom Cintiq 13HD, iPad3, Note 4, Wacom Intous & Nomad Brush Compose.
    ArtRage Courses: Intro to AR, Materials in AR, Portraits in AR (http://tinyurl.com/j6cyvwx)

Thanks Hannah, Mark and Victor for your patient explanations. I've had my aha! moment!

I tried Mark's way and still got confusing results (32%) then I tried Victor's method which seemed to be approaching it backwards - i.e. holding the paper to the screen and resizing (21%). This worked and now it occurs to me that when I tweaked my settings on my pc for larger print for ease of reading that it also magnified what I see on my AR screen.

So doing it Victor's way will work for me as I can adjust the zoom % according to the physical size of the piece of paper I hold up to the screen.

Thanks MicMac perhaps my confusion will help someone else.
    June.

And try to ease the way
    That walk the world
    today.
    -
    Unknown.

Another way to go:

On an iMac the screen dpi is 109

If I set the printsize to fx US Legal and the dpi to 2 x 109 = 218 then I easily can set the zoom to 50% and I have achieved "real" size on the screen.

50% is one of Artrage's default zoomsettings and it is therefor easy to zoom in and out.

If I used 300 dpi I should use 36% zoomsetting which I had to type each time.

50% is also exactly half of hundred so the pixels might be more accurate at that size compared to 36%.

218 dpi gives enough resolution for my needs.

Mic