ArtRage 5 Product PageArtRage Lite Product PageArtRage for iOS Product PageArtRage for Android Product PageArtRage  Android Oil Painter Free Product PageArtRage  Free Demos Page

Thread: Export image poor quality (resolution)

Export image poor quality (resolution)

Hullo,

Is there any possibility to control a quality of an exported image (jpg, tif, png, etc). I find that default option produces an unsatisfying image quality.

Thank you in advance.

Hello GTh and welcome to the forums
    In AR, jpeg is the only image export format where you can set the export quality/compression.
    Open AR's preferences and in Advanced Preferences there you can set jpeg export quality to 100%.
    All other image exports quality will be at 100% by default.
    Also bear in mind AR's default ppi for a canvas is only 72ppi. So depending on what you want to do with the exported image this may well not be high enough, leading to a poor quality image.
    PPI can be set when creating a new canvas, which is generally the best time to do it, or it can be done on an existing canvas by going to; Edit > Resize Painting… and setting a new ppi there.
    Note: Setting a new ppi for an existing canvas but retaining it's finished dimensions may require some additional cleanup/repainting afterwards. If it was a big jump in ppi the resized painting may look a bit fuzzy and less crisp.
    Maker Of Replica Macoys

Techie Stuff:
    ArtRage 5.0.5 ~ 15" Macbook Pro
    + 22" HD Monitor ~ macOS 10.12.6 ~ 4 Core i7 3.1GHz CPU ~ 16GB RAM ~ Wacom Intuos4 M and a Spyder4Pro (to keep the colours true!)

Greetings,

Thank you very much for your prompt and most of all very clear explanation.
    I think I have missed the initial image size/resolution setting.
    I think the mentioned setting is applied to an reference image as well, doesn't it?

I had added a huge image as a reference (to add some painting effects) an I have been surprised by the poor export quality. Thank to your elucidation I will (hope so) be able to manage its quality.

Once more I do deeply appreciate your instant assistance.