ArtRage 5 Product PageArtRage Lite Product PageArtRage for iOS Product PageArtRage for Android Product PageArtRage  Android Oil Painter Free Product PageArtRage  Free Demos Page

Thread: AR permanently locked up by PEN.UP signup dialog

AR permanently locked up by PEN.UP signup dialog

A friend borrowed me his Android tablet (Samsung Note 10) to try out, because I am interested in how working with the pressure-sensitive stylus compares to my experiences with Artrage on the iPad Mini that I have.

Unfortunatly, I haven't been able to draw a single line. The following happened: I exported a drawing that I am working on from AR on the ipad to Dropbox. I got AR for Android and setup Dropbox on the Samsung tablet, and then downloaded that drawing.
    I was presented with a dialog to open the .ptg file, containing AR. So far, so good.
    The drawing opened in AR.

Then I decided that I wanted to have a look in the gallery to see if I could also export my work there to Dropbox as I can on the iPad. However, I couldn't find it right away ... I found an option to Share on PEN.UP - something I'm unfamiliar with, so I clicked it to find out what it was.
    It prompted me to log in with a Google or Facebook account (or yet some other options), so I decided that this was not the way to go: I don't like it how all those social media molochs weave themselves into every nook and cranny of existence.
    Besides, I did not get a multigigabyte Dropbox account for nothing, right?

But then it turned out that I could not close that PEN.UP dialog. There's no Cancel in sight.
    Clickin on other areas of the screen; nope.
    Tried a couple of other things. Nothing.

Very strange.

Then I tried to import another .ptg file via Dropbox. So I exited AR, opened Dropbox, chose another .ptg file and clicked on the AR option in the popup.
    Artrage opens, and shows .. the first drawing I opened. At this point some painting controls still reacted to the touch, but not the option to return to the gallery. Also the main Samsung menu (with the basic AR settings in it) is unresponsive.

So I tried quit AR. Nothing happend, until after some time a dialog came "The app does not respond. Do you want to quit it? OK / Wait / Report"
    Clicked OK.
    Then, in the Task Manager, it still seemed to run. Quit it there again.

I tried the whole exercise again, with the same results.
    With the voice of Roy from the IT Crowd sounding in my head: 'Have you tried turning it off and on again? - I turned it off and on again.
    To no avail. And again, with the same result.

To cut it short: my never-yet-used, brand new copy of AR for Android is possessed by a cancel-less PEN.UP dialog subscription dialog demon.
    Are there any exorcising options, apart from uninstalling it and installing it again?

Thanks,
    Lúthien

That's not good, and it's not supposed to do that. Can you try clearing out the ArtRage app data?

Note that you’ll lose any current unsaved work.

Go to:
    > Settings
    > Application Manager
    > Choose the ‘All’ tab
    > Find and open the ArtRage app
    > tap ‘Clear > Data’.
    > Reboot the device.
    Ambient Design Tech Support & Community Manager

This is not my signature.

Go forth and read the tutorials. Also, check out the featured artists!

Funny: after putting the tablet away for a couple of hours I just had another look.
    And now the lock has gone: I can enter the gallery.

However, this locking behaviour of that signup dialog still seems undesired.

EDIT
    @ Hannahrage - I only saw your reply after I posted this reply.
    Do you think it's a good idea to test that what you suggest? I can of course try to reproduce the situation.
    Last edited by Lúthien; 05-29-2015 at 12:23 PM.

It definitely shouldn't be doing that - I'm glad to hear it went away, but if it comes back, we want to know.

Deleting the App data is completely safe - you'll just lose any temporary preferences and unsaved data, which in the case of ArtRage, just means you'll open to a fresh blank canvas, with the tools reset. If it does show up again, try that and let us know if it helped.

And just to follow up after checking in with the programmer:

- You should be able to back out of the screen using the normal back button on the device. The screen comes from
    PEN.UP, so we can't change it.
    - If you have PEN.up actually installed, try clearing the app data for the
    PEN.UP app instead, as that may be where the connection hang up is.

PEN.UP is Samsung's image sharing site, by the way - a lot like Flickr or Instagram. We included an option for it because ArtRage for Android was designed for, and launched on, Samsung devices initially.

Aha!

Yesterday, I did not notice that there is actually a device back button. It only appears as soon as I touch those buttons - as an iPad user, I wasn't used to having those extra buttons. It also doesn't help that they are only visible when you touch them ... lame excuse, I know
    But using that I can indeed back out from the PEN.UP dialog.

I did my best to recreate this lockup. I managed to do that once, but as soon as I set my self to take notes it didn't lock up anymore.
    In any case, it involved:
    - opening a painting from Dropbox into AR
    - within AR, go to the gallery. Open the PEN.UP dialog. Tap the Google icon.
    - leave AR using the device home button. Go to Dropbox, open another painting.
    - At this time, I can thus open that second painting (and even a third, fourth ...). But it did happen that AR kept displaying the first painting when opening a next one from Dropbox.
    - after some attempts, AR freezes up completely. I can eventually unlock it with the device button. Eventually a dialog popups asking whether I want to Quit, Report or Wait. After choosing Quit, eventually another dialog would open up saying "Sadly, Artrage has quit" - suggesting that this was a spontaneous event.

It looks as if the PEN.UP dialog can (in some circumstances) lock up AR.
    Could it possibly be that in some circumstances (for instance, when the PEN.UP dialog locks the app), opening another paiting fires up another instance of the AR app, instead of trying to access the running (but blocked) app?
    Of course, I can be wrong ... I've got no experience with Android apps at all.
    What suggests something like this is the memory usage: if I look in the Application Manager now, AR only uses 14Mb.
    But at the time it was displaying this locking behaviour ealier, it reportedly took up ~150 Mb.
    Another hint was that I got that "Sadly, Artrage has quit" message about four times in a row at one point.

Thanks for your help!
    I can in any case get out of the block now and use AR; but it might be worth further looking into this issue - even if it occurs rarely and under very specific circumstances.

Exclamation

It turns out that I cheered a bit too early.

I mentioned that my last attempt to reproduce the blocking behaviour did not succeed.
    However, when I wanted to get to work with it afterwards, AR was behaving wonky nonetheless.

This is what I did: at first, I opened up the drawing that I was working on: I had loaded it from dropbox as part of that testing I described.
    Then, I tried to switch layers. The layer dialog froze up, and with it the rest of AR as well.

So I went to the Application manager, force quite AR, deleted the data, rebooted the tablet.
    Started AR again. Looked fine.
    Opened up that drawing again. Switched layers.
    It locked up, freezing AR.

Repeated the whole excercise. Same result.
    Note that I didn't touch the PEN.UP dialog this time.

Can it be that the problem is an incompatibility with paintings imported from AR for iPad?
    It's not a very large file: it's a pencil / pen drawing of 500 x 1000 pixels having 4 layers, using two of them currently.

Ugh, that sounds fun. I'll admit, I had the same 'there/s a back button?!' when I first picked up a Note 4 (which has *invisible* back buttons).

Okay, ArtRage *should* be compatible with any PTG from other devices, but it's possible there's something wrong with the file. Can you email it to us at support@artrage.com so we can take a look? (And see what it does to our Android devices).

Quote Originally Posted by Lúthien View Post
    Could it possibly be that in some circumstances (for instance, when the PEN.UP dialog locks the app), opening another paiting fires up another instance of the AR app, instead of trying to access the running (but blocked) app?
    Of course, I can be wrong ... I've got no experience with Android apps at all.
    What suggests something like this is the memory usage: if I look in the Application Manager now, AR only uses 14Mb.
    But at the time it was displaying this locking behaviour ealier, it reportedly took up ~150 Mb.

ArtRage should only ever open one instance; if ArtRage is already running, it should offer you the option to save and close the current painting. Thank you for all the info! I've dumped this on our programmer to have fun with