Thread: Tips for basic glitter

Gallery
    View images

Tips for basic glitter

I've had a couple of people email me for tips on how to emulate real glitter. Here's a quick guide which assumes a pretty standard fullscreen canvas for anyone new to ArtRage and wanting to produce a nice simple glitter look.

Here's a few steps for a quick glitter example. You can get a feel for the look of the glitter at each of the steps by applying a little glitter to your canvas as you can always hit the undo button ( left arrow in the toolbar at the top ) to remove it. Select the Glitter tool and have a shot at the following steps.

1/ Ok, the first thing to do is to drag the metallic slider beneath the colour picker all the way to the right. If you move this slider to 100% that's where you're really going to get the glittery sparkly look.

2/ Now, make sure you have a nice strong colour selected in the colour-picker. When you are using metallics, colours can look a little darker, so I tend to use a light, bright colour. Let's start with a light yellow. Click on a yellow point in the colour picker. On the right hand of the colour picker is a bar for the lightness of the colour. For this example let's move the marker in the bar about 4/5 of the way up the bar, so we get a fairly light yellow.

If you wanted a bright silvery look, you can just move the marker right up to the top of the bar to make the colour white. If we want a gold colour, choosing a slightly more orange colour can help. This is really a matter of preference. You can lay down a little glitter on the screen then just hit the undo arrow ( left arrow ) in the top menu bar if you don't like it, so it's possible to play with the look and feel until you get it how you like.

3/ On the left hand side of your screen you should have a settings panel for the glitter. ( Pressure, Glitter Shape, Glitter Size etc ). Hit the "reset" button in this panel to take yourself back to the standard settings.

4/ Check that the glitter shape on the left shows three little squares, because we want a fairly standard look. Down the bottom left of the screen you'll see a little preview of the glitter in blue. If you click and drag left and right in here, or use the + and - buttons, you can change the size of the tool. I made mine about 40%

5/ Take a look at the glitter size setting on the left. It's set to 25% by default, which is pretty small. Glitter looks the way it does because of the way the light is reflected so if it's too small it can look a little too subtle. I made my glitter 40% but you might want to experiment with larger sizes, depending on how big you imagine you'd like to see your glitter.

6/ If you want piles of glitter ( I did in my example ), on the left, make the pressure a high value. This makes the glitter mound up more. If you want it more sparsely applied you can lessen this value.

"And here's one I made earlier!"
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Dave
    Resident Bug-Hunter
    Ambient Design

Gallery
    View images

glitter on ipad?

I am trying to decide whether to get ArtRage for my ipad. Do you know whether you can do the glitter on the ipad?

Gallery
    View images

Gallery
    View images

still confused

I read the pdf you gave me a link to and it indicated that the iPad version of artrage had the glitter tool, so I bought the app, but I don't see the glitter tool anywhere. Do you have any thoughts or suggestions?

Gallery
    View images
    I don't have an iPad to be able to properly direct you, unfortunately. Maybe someone with an iPad will be able to help you out soon.

You might also check out the iPad/iPhone technical board.

Gallery
    View images
    I have the IPad and the glitter tool isn't included, I wish it was.
    Christine.

(Paint what you see, not what you know to be there)
    Ipad Gallery. http://members.artrage.com/gallery_categories/28

Gallery
    View images
    That's a bummer that the comparison page of the different versions says it does.

Gallery
    View images
    Sorry for the error. We've corrected the comparison PDF and it should update on the website shortly. If you want a refund for the iPad version, we can't trigger that ourselves as we don't have access to Apple's system, but if you contact them directly they should be able to assist with that. Please feel free to email me at support@artrage.com if you have any further questions or problems and I'll be happy to help.
    Dave
    Resident Bug-Hunter
    Ambient Design

Gallery
    View images

great customer service!

Thanks so much for addressing this issue! I have dealt with companies in the past and have only received faster customer service a handful of times. You are truly world-class! I will talk to Apple about getting my refund so I can get the correct version for my needs!