Thread: Shape drawing tool?

Shape drawing tool?

I'd love to be able to make panels for my comic, but I can't find a simple tool that will help draw them. I know I can make a rectangle or a circle with the selection tool and then kind of trace a line around the inside, but that's sloppy and inconvenient. I can also trace a circle or square stencil, but then there's no way to adjust the size or stretch the shape.
    I was wondering if there was a tool that could actually draw rectangles, squares, or circles the same way that Sketchbook or MS Paint does (click and drag.)
    Last edited by blaireau; 05-28-2015 at 01:53 PM.

There isn't a tool to just draw shapes, but you can:

1. Adjust stencil sizes (ctrl + click and drag), as well as invert and rotate them.

2. Use Transform to adjust an outline after drawing it (this lets you squish the shape, move it and resize). You can also duplicate a box and then use Transform to resize it however you want. The exact ways you can distort it depend which edition you have - ArtRage 4 has a couple of extra modes, such as Perspective.

3. Create custom stencils out of outlines you draw/import (for example, you could create the layout you want, then turn the whole thing into a stencil).

4. Use Snap to Grid (in version 4.5) to create straight lines. Or hold down Ctrl or Ctrl+shift while drawing.

5. Use the Ink Pen with smoothing turned on to create smooth round shapes by hand.

Other people may have more tips as well.

Hannah covered most of it with her explanation, but you may also find some useful information is following two threads:

Nothing is easy to the unwilling.

Thumbs up Shape Drawing Tool Solution With MS Paint

Quote Originally Posted by blaireau View Post
    I'd love to be able to make panels for my comic, but I can't find a simple tool that will help draw them. I know I can make a rectangle or a circle with the selection tool and then kind of trace a line around the inside, but that's sloppy and inconvenient. I can also trace a circle or square stencil, but then there's no way to adjust the size or stretch the shape.
    I was wondering if there was a tool that could actually draw rectangles, squares, or circles the same way that Sketchbook or MS Paint does (click and drag.)
    I just use the MS Paint Shape-Drawing Tool, then select the shape, copy it, paste it onto a top-most layer in ArtRage, make a new layer on top of that, use the paint bucket tool with spread on high and click on the line of whatever shape you made (with the top-most empty layer selected). Done. This will create a layer that is transparent in all but the lines of the shape you just made using the paint tool, and you can delete the non-transparent layer of what you copied from MS Paint. It's like using MS Paint's tool and then copying it over to ArtRage, and you only have to do this for a few different shapes as once you've copied the basic shapes you can re-adjust their size in ArtRage without having to re-open MS Paint. Just make sure your canvas-size in MS Paint is sufficiently large when you make the initial shape so the lines will be crisp and not fuzzy when you copy it over to ArtRage. If you make it too small on the original MS canvas and expand it in ArtRage it will make your lines less distinct and fuzzy-looking. Hope this helps!