ArtRage 5 Product PageArtRage Lite Product PageArtRage for iOS Product PageArtRage for Android Product PageArtRage  Android Oil Painter Free Product PageArtRage  Free Demos Page

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Grace

Grace

From a reference photo. Using mainly airbrush, oil, pen, crayon and blender.

Name:  Grace.jpg
Views: 158
Size:  101.8 KB
    Last edited by Enug; 05-25-2015 at 08:26 PM.
    June.

Oh God of homeless things, look down
    And try to ease the way
    Of all the little weary paws
    That walk the world
    today.
    -
    Unknown.

http://enug66.deviantart.com/gallery/

Spectacular! A wonderful style very much similar to the one of the illustrations of her green times.
    Panta rei (everything flows)!

GREAT!!!!!

And I agree with Caesar!
    SPECTACULAR!!!!!!
    Regards from Chile
    "El arte no reproduce lo visible. Lo hace visible" Paul Klee

She was such a beautiful woman.

Thanks for painting her Enug!

Exquisite. Love the artsy use of the texture in the hat. Almost like a play on words, or a play on textures. Gives a nice counterpoint to offset the delicacy and care of the rest of it. Works nicely.

Late note: One thing, you may want to study the structure of the ear. If it's not clear in the photo, then look up how ears are formed. It'll be a delicate balance because you don't want to draw undue attention to it. In fact, I missed it on first glance. but even delicate and faint, you can always benefit from correct information.

Everything else that you did attend to really looks great though and this is a huge success.

Last edited by D Akey; 05-27-2015 at 01:32 AM.
    "Not a bit is wasted and the best is yet to come. . ." -- remembered from a dream

Thanks to Caesar, damasocl, HwyStar and Mr.Akey (you are right as usual) I couldn't see her ear clearly in the photo and I should have looked at ears.
    June.

And try to ease the way
    That walk the world
    today.
    -
    Unknown.

Great painting June. She certainly was a beautiful woman and you've done her credit!

Quote Originally Posted by Enug View Post
    I couldn't see her ear clearly in the photo and I should have looked at ears.
    I don't know what the level is that you're aiming for with your art, but based on what you've revealed in the past, and your nearly voracious appetite for styles and techniques, I would perhaps suggest that this one is worth fixing (for yourself down the road not necessarily for the forum). The piece represents a pretty noteworthy advancement, and the painting is at a point that it's worth it to fix it. You will always look at this fine piece, with everything done so well everywhere else, and that ear will mar somewhat the achievement to a fresh eye.

I just looked up the source photo and it's not all that much farther along informationally than what you did. And a modicum of info is there if you copy it more faithfully it should take it far enough to not be an issue. That way you don't have to embark on a globetrotting journey with errant cabbies and lost baggage, and ponder all thoughts on the shape of ears to come. You can just look at this one instance and match the values and placement abstractly if you must. A glance at another ear at a similar angle for structure shouldn't harm you irreversibly however.

But that's just a comment to the artist, having been in the other position myself in the learning days. When you can visibly paint everything else so well, that component is like a rock around her neck, and not the 45.52 carat Hope Diamond kind.

Come on June! You have to know better when it's Enug!!!
    "Not a bit is wasted and the best is yet to come. . ." -- remembered from a dream

Quote Originally Posted by D Akey View Post
    I don't know what the level is that you're aiming for with your art, but based on what you've revealed in the past, and your nearly voracious appetite for styles and techniques, I would perhaps suggest that this one is worth fixing (for yourself down the road not necessarily for the forum).
    I'm not aim for anything particular with my art - I've probably left it too late for that - but I'm getting immense pleasure doing what I'm doing. As for style and technique, I wish I had either but it seems I'm best at copying. I would like to paint with a looser style but then again I like details.

Yes, it is worth fixing as you are right - now that I know I could do it better, it can't be left as is. So.....I've had another go at it.

Name:  Grace-th.jpg
Views: 95
Size:  59.5 KB
    June.

And try to ease the way
    That walk the world
    today.
    -
    Unknown.

For someone who doesn't know what they want in the long run, you seem to have the short range down really well!

This is soooooooo much more satisfying. . . Nice to know there are fewer limits than first suspected -- usually because we bring those along with us from some odd notion of what doing "Art" is supposed to be, brilliant, suffering, ethereal, gotta have 'Talent' etc etc etc. Bin all that, sez I and just paint and when something calls to do it, do it. Nothing like getting the internal gyroscope calibrated from a few real clear wins.

As to being too old. . . oh, definitely. . . waited far too long. . . shoulda started back in the late 1800s like the rest of us Impressionables. Don't be silly. . . If you can do it, you didn't wait too long. As to getting a name for yourself and a career etc. . . why the heck not? I have a cynical outlook about what it takes to succeed and less has to do with skill and "Talent" than getting investors looking at your work and seeing notable profits. Names get made in the trail of sales. Sucks for purists. But do it for you, and you're there no matter what else happens. And if something happens where you manage to get recognized, so much the better. But meantime you're doing it for the right reasons. And if you're a keen self-promoter and have instinct in that area, I believe inroads can be managed. Depends what you're after. Don't decide now necessarily. It's a long ride, and if it opens up that way, go for it! But do it for love first. . . especially while you're learning. It'll keep you fueled up.

Anyway, this is a really great piece you should be proud of.

Nice to know you have an ear to hear -- right there. . . and multitasking it as a modeling element. . . nothing could be finer. . .

Last edited by D Akey; 05-27-2015 at 10:11 PM.