ArtRage 5 Product PageArtRage Lite Product PageArtRage for iOS Product PageArtRage for Android Product PageArtRage  Android Oil Painter Free Product PageArtRage  Free Demos Page

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Finished 'Lore Beast' final post from the WIP gallery!

Finished 'Lore Beast' final post from the WIP gallery!

Hello AR true believers! Happy to be with you today to share the final of my 'Lore Beast' which I posted progress images of in the WIP gallery. He is ancient, wise and the protector of the deep forest and its inhabitants.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Lore-Beast.jpg 
Views:	73 
Size:	187.4 KB 
ID:	86599

Trivia note: I shared this image with a good friend of mine, Fred Ruff, CEO and executive producer at 'Refuge VFX' here in Portland Oregon. His team is responsible for many of the creature FX on NBC's 'Grimm' television show. Fred and I worked together on seasons 1 and 2 before he left the studio I work at and started his own company.

Fred and his team have produced an original pilot called 'Medieval Monsters' for Animal Planet. I had the pleasure of being part of the early work on the show doing design and being on location for the initial POC shoot. The leather journal you see in the teaser on the animal planet site was crafted by yours truly.

How does all this relate to the 'Lore Beast' above? Well, when Fred saw the finished piece he expressed enthusiasm about bringing him to life in a future episode (if Animal Planet goes beyond the pilot and picks it up for more episodes)! You can see his post on the 'Medieval Mosters' Facebook page here.
    Be well,

"Teach, Learn, Thrive"~DM

The Lore Beast is great but not nearly as interesting as your work story. Bravo on both counts.

For what it's worth, I have really been enjoying the romp of Grimm. Loved the monsters and the gadgets and all the stuff you art guys had a hand in. It's actually what makes the show as fun as it is. The stories are being woven nicely and the characters are light weight enough to not cause nightmares but they're really cool looking. That particular tone is not unlike the experience of reading Grimm's Fairy Tales. You can take the spook factor as deep or as shallow as you please.

It definitely has a pacific northwest vibe to the locations which I really love.

As to your drawing, what's not to like. It's a great technique, looks nice and polished for presentation, its anatomy and texture is clear, and you could hand it off to someone to construct if needed.

By the way, the technique is of course reminiscent of the book of demons and creatures the Grim inherited. I quite liked that aspect of the show. Did you contribute to those at all? This certainly shows you could handle it if you didn't.

Good one Fashmir! May your career further sprout wings, if not your very own shoulders.

"Not a bit is wasted and the best is yet to come. . ." -- remembered from a dream

I just commented it in the WIP Section. I may add that this drawing is magnificent under any aspect and a top class, professional artist outcome, as you actually are!
    Panta rei (everything flows)!

Great work Fashmir! I really enjoy the canvas and background, just as much as the creature.

hildee- Thanks!

D Akey- Thank you for your response! Thanks for being interested in the image and the story. I've had some good opportunities to work with some fun ideas and great people. I did not contribute to the tome of monster lore you mention from Grimm, although as you may guess that is up my alley. :-) I've loved this kind of stuff since I was a highschooler sitting in a dorm room with a players handbook and a monster manual going off on adventures with my friends. I don't imagine I will ever outgrow the fun and wonder of legends, tales and fairy stories. Thanks for your kind words and generous good wishes. :-)

Caesar- Thank you again my friend! You make me feel cheerful. :-)

HwyStar- Thanks so much! I'm so pleased you like the whole treatment I chose for the image.
    Be well,

I have been watching this wonderful image develop in the WIP postings and I'm so impressed by your skills.
    June.

Oh God of homeless things, look down
    And try to ease the way
    Of all the little weary paws
    That walk the world
    today.
    -
    Unknown.

http://enug66.deviantart.com/gallery/

So impressive artwork, really great work

love it. what is this drawn with and did you manipulate the color in another program? Great work man love your style

Enug- Thanks! I know for myself, it is so much fun to see people's steps of progress up to the final image. I'm glad you like it!

pat1940- I love hearing that you enjoy my artwork. Thank you!

cartuneman- Thanks! It is a combination of pencil, watercolor and ink pen. Technically I also used the sticker spray tool, but the sticker art was also created by me using the watercolor tools. I did not change the color in another program, it is all as I painted it in ArtRage. I do use a series of semi-transparent overlays at the top of the layer stack that act as glazes, pulling the color pallet together. That is where I also get my 'paper' texture from. I have created a bunch of textures using real watercolor on watercolor paper, creating washes, textures, and grains, that I then overlay on top of the image to heighten the organic quality of the background. I am considering a tutorial on the topic if I get enough interest.

Thanks all of you!
    Be well,