ArtRage 5 Product PageArtRage Lite Product PageArtRage for iOS Product PageArtRage for Android Product PageArtRage  Android Oil Painter Free Product PageArtRage  Free Demos Page

Thread: Need help with textures.

Need help with textures.

So, I have Artrage 4.5 and was wondering if you could attach a texture to a certain layer, but have it so it won't affect everything else. I want only one layer to have a texture im planning on using, but can't do that right now. I used two textures in one of my drawings, and the first texture seemed fine, so long as I didn't place any other layers below it. Then, I tried placing a texture on the layer above the layer I had textured already, and it applied the texture to everything below it.
    Is there a tool on here that can allow me to transform texture layers to how I want to shape them, or a tool that can allow me to only place one texture on one layer?

Thanks!

I'm not quite sure how you added texture; there are a few different ways. You can, for example, change the texture of ALL layers at once, or just one.

If you go to the Layers menu > individual layer menu button > Edit Layer Texture

You can set the texture for that specific layer.

Name:  edit layer texture artrage 4.jpg
Views: 86
Size:  79.3 KB

You can do this for each layer individually, and any strokes made on those layers will use that layer texture. If you select a previous layer, it should still allow you to make strokes using that layer's texture. If you add a new layer, it will use the texture of the layer immediately below it.

If your problem is that the strokes you are making are overriding the strokes below, you can go to 'Bump Blend Mode' just below the 'Edit Layer Texture' option. This allows you to choose whether your layer will *replace*, *add* to, or combine 'realistically' with the textures underneath as you draw ('Maximum').
    Ambient Design Tech Support & Community Manager

This is not my signature.

Go forth and read the tutorials. Also, check out the featured artists!

Quote Originally Posted by HannahRage View Post
    I'm not quite sure how you added texture; there are a few different ways. You can, for example, change the texture of ALL layers at once, or just one.

If you go to the Layers menu > individual layer menu button > Edit Layer Texture

You can set the texture for that specific layer.

Name:  edit layer texture artrage 4.jpg
Views: 86
Size:  79.3 KB

You can do this for each layer individually, and any strokes made on those layers will use that layer texture. If you select a previous layer, it should still allow you to make strokes using that layer's texture. If you add a new layer, it will use the texture of the layer immediately below it.

If your problem is that the strokes you are making are overriding the strokes below, you can go to 'Bump Blend Mode' just below the 'Edit Layer Texture' option. This allows you to choose whether your layer will *replace*, *add* to, or combine 'realistically' with the textures underneath as you draw ('Maximum').
    So, I tried what you said, and it seems to only work with certain brushes. It doesn't seem to work at all with the felt pen. Oh, and when I try using the fill tool to fill in certain shapes, it just fills the whole canvas. Is there a tutorial that shows me how I can possibly texture only one area of the canvas?
    Is there any way to transform the texture image I take from my disk into a shape I want? From what I can see right now, im only able to flip it vertically, horizontally and resize the image. I think I saw a tutorial that showed that you could hold shift while you held one of the resizing handles, but it doesn't seem to work when I try.

Thanks a lot, I appreciate you helping me out, Hannah!

Okay, it sounds like you're trying to do quite a few different things.

1. Different tools react to textures differently. It depends on a) the softness of the brush or tip, and b) the wetness/runniness of the media. So a soft brush or felt pen will spread out more than a hard pencil or bristly brush.

Most tools will show some texture. If they aren't, then try a) increasing the roughness/grain size of the canvas texture, b) decreasing the pressure, so you're just skimming the surface of the canvas, c) experimenting with the tool settings, to see of those make a difference, and d) increasing the stroke size, because the texture may be there along the edges or in the stroke, but too subtly to notice at smaller sizes.

For example:

Check the Wetness level on the Felt Pen - if it's very wet, then the ink will spread evenly, and no texture will be visible. I can get very dramatic texture or no texture at all, depending on how I'm using the Felt Pen.

2. The Fill tool has three different modes, which you can find in the settings menu.

Solid Fill will just fill a defined area with a specific colour. It sounds like this is what you're after. Make sure it's on this mode. If it's spreading across the whole canvas, check that:

1. There are no gaps in the border of the area you are filling
    2. That 'Spread' isn't too high, allowing it to spread out over other colours
    3. You're either on the same layer as the border, or have 'Current Layer Only' unticked.

Pattern Fill and Gradient Fill don't care what is already on the canvas and will fill the entire canvas unless you Fill inside an active Selection. So if you're trying to use one of these two, use the Selection tool first to define the area.

3. To create a painting with just one section textured:

1. Use multiple layers for each area, such as in my first answer.
    2. Change the canvas texture partway through a drawing, the existing strokes won't change, but any new strokes will use the new texture.
    3. Import a custom made texture with the layout you want (see below).

4. Okay, so it sounds like you're actually importing an image from elsewhere. This WON'T give you the texture you're after, because texture is an ArtRage specific property that other image types won't have. What you want to do is to load the image AS a texture.

In the canvas texture menu, instead of choosing from the existing collection of paper grains and canvases, pick 'Load From Disk'. Then browse to the image you wanted to use and load it. The texture 'depth' is based on how light/dark the image is, so you may want to edit it to get the effect you want before importing it.

For example:
    - Increase contrast to get more dramatic textures
    - Combine multiple patterns into a single image
    - To have it only in a specific area, edit the image to 'block out' areas of textures, or add a white space border.

To perfectly set up the layout beforehand, edit the texture image so that it is the same size as your canvas.

5. If you have an active selection that you are trying to transform, hover the cursor over the corner handles to resize, or just outside it to rotate. The cursor will change to indicate the type of action you are able to take. The scroll wheel will also let you scale the selected area.

Holding Shift and right click lets you zoom in and out of the canvas itself; Shift and Left click lets you resize the current tool.
    Ambient Design Tech Support & Community Manager

This is not my signature.

Go forth and read the tutorials. Also, check out the featured artists!

That reply is awesome! It's very in depth and helpful. I did not know I could apply fill to a selected area. Which actually helps me out a lot.
    Oh, and I would always load my textures from disk. I can see how it would use the lights and darks to add depth to the texture. Its all really interesting.
    Also, that first point was helpful as well. The softness of the brush or tip really helped me think about what more I can do. There is just so much to this program that I need to explore to get the effects I want. I really appreciate you helping me out with all these details.

Thanks, Hannah!

hello there
    Maybe there is inhere something that can be useful to you?
    http://forums.artrage.com/showthread...als-Eng-french