ArtRage 5 Product PageArtRage Lite Product PageArtRage for iOS Product PageArtRage for Android Product PageArtRage  Android Oil Painter Free Product PageArtRage  Free Demos Page

Thread: Brush size with Wacom Intuos Pro much smaller than with trackpad.

Brush size with Wacom Intuos Pro much smaller than with trackpad.

I am playing with a Wacom Intuos Pro and ArtRage 4 (Mac OS X/Mavericks)

I notice two problems.

1. The width of a brush stroke (any brush/roller) when painting with the tablet is much smaller than when painting on the trackpad. At 100% brush size, the stroke when done using the tablet is the same as the trackpad's brush size set to about 30%. The pressure and inclination of the stylus don't change this.

2. The size of the circle is much bigger than the width of the painted stroke, in both cases.

Am I missing something?

Hello sriram and welcome to the ArtRage forums
    The degree to which the line width will differ between a non pressure sensitive input, i.e. trackpad or mouse, and a tablet pen will depend greatly on the pressure sensitivity level you have set in the Wacom preferences for the pen.
    Firmer settings made there, resulting in narrower strokes seen in ArtRage regardless of how hard you press, than softer settings.

As to your second point, yes that's most noticeable with the watercolour tool I think. I don't know why the outline is so much bigger than any paint mark you can actually make with the tool, even after optimizing all tool and tablet settings. It certainly seems a little over optimistic! But I guess I've just got used to it now and don't notice!
    Last edited by markw; 05-12-2015 at 11:36 PM.
    Maker Of Replica Macoys

Techie Stuff:
    ArtRage 5.0.5 ~ 15" Macbook Pro
    + 22" HD Monitor ~ macOS 10.12.6 ~ 4 Core i7 3.1GHz CPU ~ 16GB RAM ~ Wacom Intuos4 M and a Spyder4Pro (to keep the colours true!)

Yep, it sounds like pressure differences between your two input devices. The trackpad will be painting at full pressure, the tablet may not be, due to your tablet settings and the way you use the tablet.

Quote Originally Posted by markw View Post
    As to your second point, yes that's most noticeable with the watercolour tool I think. I don't know why the outline is so much bigger than any paint mark you can actually make with the tool, even after optimizing all tool and tablet settings. It certainly seems a little over optimistic! But I guess I've just got used to it now and don't notice!
    The outline itself is the largest stroke you *could* make at full pressure... unless a particular setting is affecting the tool so that it acts differently. If you turn on 'wet on wet' or colour bleed (with Insta Dry off), the stroke will bleed out to the size of the outline. It's one of the only tools that varies *that* much just due to the settings. In fact, if you just click in one spot over and over, the transparent bleed around your stroke will build up to show a mark exactly the size of the outline.
    Ambient Design Tech Support & Community Manager

This is not my signature.

Go forth and read the tutorials. Also, check out the featured artists!

Thanks.

Thanks much for the prompt response.

I did try applying more pressure with the stylus (where the calibration shows 100%) but it didn't make much of a difference ... I couldn't get it to half the width of the trackpad.

--sriram.

Did you also try changing pen tip responsiveness in the Wacom preferences?
    Make sure you have added ArtRage as a specific app in the row named "Applications" so that it gets it's own unique set of preferences. And then be sure ArtRage is the app highlighted in that row when making adjustments.
    It may well be that you will never get a perfect match of cursor sizes between tablet and trackpad.
    What is perhaps more important is how the tablet feels and responds as you work with it.
    It can sometimes take a bit of time tweaking things here and there in the tablet preferences, getting things just so for different apps but it is time well spent!
    And don't forget to use the Wacom preferences backup facility when your done tweaking, so if disaster should befall in the future you can easily get them all back again!
    Maker Of Replica Macoys

Techie Stuff:
    ArtRage 5.0.5 ~ 15" Macbook Pro
    + 22" HD Monitor ~ macOS 10.12.6 ~ 4 Core i7 3.1GHz CPU ~ 16GB RAM ~ Wacom Intuos4 M and a Spyder4Pro (to keep the colours true!)