ArtRage 5 Product PageArtRage Lite Product PageArtRage for iOS Product PageArtRage for Android Product PageArtRage  Android Oil Painter Free Product PageArtRage  Free Demos Page

Thread: Working with large files

Working with large files

I make large files so I can print them out. I'd like to be able to do 3X4 feet, for example, or even larger. When I work that large in Photoshop, it can do it, but can be slow. But ArtRage is just hanging. Are there settings I can alter or anything I can do to help it work on larger files? And if it's not good for very large formats, how large is about the max I can comfortably work?

Lynda.com author, Digital Tutors instructor
    What resolution and PPI do you favor for your work? Knowing this will help evaluate your situation.

ArtRage4.5.9 MACPRO (El Capitan), Wacom Cintiq 13HD, iPad3, Note 4, Wacom Intous & Nomad Brush Compose.
    ArtRage Courses: Intro to AR, Materials in AR, Portraits in AR (http://tinyurl.com/j6cyvwx)

Also, what version of ArtRage are you using, and what are your computer specs?
    Ambient Design Tech Support & Community Manager

This is not my signature.

Go forth and read the tutorials. Also, check out the featured artists!

Unfortunately I can't give a detailed answer without being flagged as spam. I'm using ArtRage 4. I have 8 gigs of RAM. File I'm trying to work on is 9,729 X 18,000 pixels.

From a hardware point of view, ArtRage is CPU intensive in it's calculations so having a fast CPU is a must have if working on really big canvases. 8G RAM would be the minimum I would be looking to work with too at the size you quoted.

When working on a really big canvas size choose your AR tools wisely.
    Oil Brush and Pastel tools will be the least laggy to work with.
    Air Brush and Watercolour tools will be amongst the slowest.
    Also keep your layers to a minimum. Whenever you can, merge them.

As for your canvas what ppi have you set it to?
    I can just about work at 9,729x18,000 @72ppi and if I'm particularly patient I can push the ppi to 150. But then I am sadly still working on a 5 year old laptop!
    Bear in mind that high ppi is not necessarily going to be needed for printing something the size of a billboard where 72ppi may actually be fine, as the viewer will typically be quite some distance from it.
    Your painting style may also be a factor in setting up your canvas. Do you favour broad strokes or lots of intricate detail?
    Maker Of Replica Macoys

Techie Stuff:
    ArtRage 5.0.5 ~ 15" Macbook Pro
    + 22" HD Monitor ~ macOS 10.12.6 ~ 4 Core i7 3.1GHz CPU ~ 16GB RAM ~ Wacom Intuos4 M and a Spyder4Pro (to keep the colours true!)

It does sound like you're hitting the upper limits that your computer can handle with ArtRage. If you want to produce paintings at that size, I recommend:

1. Painting a much smaller version, recording it as a script and playing it back at a larger size, then refining any smaller details needed. This will give you a much better result than resizing after painting, and will let you fill in large areas much more easily.

2. Start with a much smaller canvas then resize and expand as you work, so that you're only working fullsize towards the end.

3. Use as few layers as possible. Each extra layer adds a whole chunk of extra memory.

4. Avoid Transform, Watercolors, Airbrush (as mentioned above), as these are very demanding. As are any copy-paste type operations. If you need to import an image, bring it in as a Tracing image first, as moving those around uses a lot less memory, then convert it to paint.

5. Keep the file sizes of any other resources - references, tracing images - down as much as possible, as ArtRage has to load those as well.

6. Turn the back up saves on!

Thanks for the tips.

What's interesting is I can export as a PS quickly without proglems, but saving as an AR file takes forever.

The piece I'm working on is essentially completed in PS, and then I'm painting over it in ArtRage, and making various adjustments on the fly. In order to get the large size I want, I decided to cut it in three, then reassemble the results in PS. I'll have to create a couple narrower strips after the fact encompassing the seams, then bring those into AR to paint together, then export those to PS and put it all together.

That's because a PSD has a lot less information in it. A native ArtRage file has to save a lot of extra properties, like depth and media type, as well as all the ArtRage tool settings, colour samples and interface information. Once you've converted to PSD, you lose all differences between chalk and watercolours, oil paint and pencil, except for the visual appearance.

Lynda.com author, Digital Tutors instructor
    Wow. That's harsh man. 9,729x18,000 @72ppi makes my 8 Core Intel Xeon with 16GB RAM think twice about some of those strokes!

It is still quite usable. But, I think that is the limit for my machine. any bigger and it'll start lagging.

ArtRage4.5.9 MACPRO (El Capitan), Wacom Cintiq 13HD, iPad3, Note 4, Wacom Intous & Nomad Brush Compose.
    ArtRage Courses: Intro to AR, Materials in AR, Portraits in AR (http://tinyurl.com/j6cyvwx)