ArtRage 5 Product PageArtRage Lite Product PageArtRage for iOS Product PageArtRage for Android Product PageArtRage  Android Oil Painter Free Product PageArtRage  Free Demos Page

Thread: "Glue Art" style Tutorial

"Glue Art" style Tutorial

(Edit - I wanted to add a note about my canvas size here, because it can affect the Gloop Pen's flow. I prefer to use a larger canvas when using the Gloop Pen, because the flow of the ink seems to respond better, allowing for more of a variance in the line width.

Step 1: Using the Gloop Pen (with the settings shown in the image below), create an outline of the image you will be painting on an empty layer (be sure to set the layers "Roughness" setting to 0%, but using the layer menu and selecting "Edit Layer Texture".

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	1.jpg 
Views:	156 
Size:	348.3 KB 
ID:	86399

Step 2: Lock the transparency for the layer of your outline, by using menu in upper right corner of the layer on the layers panel. With the layer transparency locked, select white as your color and then use the Paint Tube to trace over the outline. This fills the outline with thick paint (seen in the image below), which will be used to simulate our "glue".

Name:	2.jpg 
Views:	154 
Size:	386.7 KB 
ID:	86398

Step 3: Unlock the layer transparency (using the menu in the upper right corner of the layer, again) and then select the Palette Knife tool. Set the tool to use the settings shown in the image below and then lightly follow your outline, to smooth out the thick paint out.

Name:	3.jpg 
Views:	118 
Size:	383.4 KB 
ID:	86397

Step 4: Now we can begin painting in the image. Create a new layer and drag it beneath the outline layer. Using the Watercolor tool, fill in the layer with a base color (I used a light blue), increase the roughness of canvas texture (be sure the layer texture is set to use the same texture, as shown in the image below) and then go over the layer again to add texture breaks. For added flare, you can also use a different color for this, but for the sake of the tutorial, I'll be keeping things simple.

Name:	4.jpg 
Views:	92 
Size:	157.8 KB 
ID:	86396

Step 5: Decrease the Opacity of the outline layer, to give the "glue" a bit more transparency to it.

Name:	5.jpg 
Views:	84 
Size:	139.2 KB 
ID:	86395
    Last edited by Someonesane; 05-05-2015 at 06:19 AM.
    Nothing is easy to the unwilling.

Step 6: Add a new layer above the base layer, but below the outline layer, and begin to fill in your outline. I'm still using the canvas texture as my layer texture (which I'll continue to do for the rest of the tutorial) so I set the roughness to a lower percentage, while I fill in the area.

Name:	6.jpg 
Views:	111 
Size:	137.7 KB 
ID:	86405

Step 7: Add a new layer above the last, but still below the outline layer, and add some shading using a darker shade of the same color. Increasing and decreasing the roughness of the canvas texture while working, will allow you to add more texture to the shading.

Name:	7.jpg 
Views:	87 
Size:	165.6 KB 
ID:	86404

Step 8: Repeat Steps 6 and 7 and fill in all of the areas of your outlined image (as I do in the following two steps).

Name:	8.jpg 
Views:	87 
Size:	158.9 KB 
ID:	86403

Step 9: Create as many layers as you need, to continue building up color and texture.

Name:	9.jpg 
Views:	81 
Size:	160.4 KB 
ID:	86402

Step 10: I wanted a little more contrast in the flower of my image, so added a new layer and used a dark red shade to build up the shadows there.

Name:	10.jpg 
Views:	80 
Size:	171.4 KB 
ID:	86401
    Last edited by Someonesane; 05-01-2015 at 08:06 AM.

Step 11: To add a little variety to the grain of the image, select the Fill Tools "Pattern" setting to fill the layer in with a texture. I'm using a texture of my own, but the "Urban Light" texture, found under the "Decorative" group of ArtRage's default pattern collection, makes for a nice stand in.

Name:	11.jpg 
Views:	85 
Size:	177.0 KB 
ID:	86410

Step 12: It's likely the pattern being used will have some color to it. Sometimes the additional colors work to your benefit after applying a blend mode (which we'll get to in a step or two), by adding diversity to otherwise flat areas of color, but it may also overwhelm things. I've chosen to remove the color from my pattern fill. To do so, open the "Adjust Layer Colors" panel (see image below).

Name:	12.jpg 
Views:	86 
Size:	172.3 KB 
ID:	86409

Step 13: By dragging the "Color" slider all the way to the left, I've removed the layers color, leaving only a grayscale texture.

Name:	13.jpg 
Views:	74 
Size:	203.5 KB 
ID:	86408

Step 14: With my pattern layer ready, I select the "Overylay" option from the layers "Blend Mode" menu, which applies the layer as an additional texture, allowing the painted layer below it to appear through it.

Name:	14.jpg 
Size:	185.2 KB 
ID:	86407

Step 15: To add a little more detail to the "glue" outline, I'm going to add some color to the outline. To keep the color confined to the outline area, while working on a different layer, I'm going to make a selection out of the outline, using the "Select Layer Contents" option, found on the "Edit" menu. Be sure to have the outline layer selected, before making the selection, otherwise you'll select the wrong layer.

Name:	15.jpg 
Views:	79 
Size:	209.7 KB 
ID:	86406
    Last edited by Someonesane; 05-01-2015 at 08:29 AM.

Step 16: With my selection made, I create a new layer beneath my outline layer and use the Airbrush tool to add color to the selected area. I've chosen to select darker tones of the colors that make up the areas around the lines, so I use a deeper red where the flower petals are and a darker green where the leaves are, and so on... I then remove the selection, by going to Edit > Deselect All.

Name:	16.jpg 
Views:	83 
Size:	198.7 KB 
ID:	86412

Step 17: To keep to the idea of the outline being a "glue", I decrease the opacity of the added color outline a bit, so that's it's transparent and I'm done!

Name:	17.jpg 
Views:	82 
Size:	198.7 KB 
ID:	86411

Here are a few different takes on the same image:

This is the one created in the tutorial.

Name:	tutorial flower done.jpg 
Views:	178 
Size:	202.1 KB 
ID:	86413

This one was done a little more loosely.

Name:	Flower Glue 2nd go.jpg 
Views:	86 
Size:	247.6 KB 
ID:	86414

And Here's one with some color variance in the flower.

Name:	Flower Glue3.jpg 
Size:	230.9 KB 
ID:	86415
    Last edited by Someonesane; 05-01-2015 at 08:51 AM.

Wow...this is an awesome tutorial. Thanks SOS.

Thanks for the great tut., SOS

Lynda.com author, Digital Tutors instructor
    Fantastic and very detailed tut!

ArtRage4.5.9 MACPRO (El Capitan), Wacom Cintiq 13HD, iPad3, Note 4, Wacom Intous & Nomad Brush Compose.
    ArtRage Courses: Intro to AR, Materials in AR, Portraits in AR (http://tinyurl.com/j6cyvwx)

Thanks everyone! I hope it's been helpful

Awesome!!!!
    Now I am able to use this tool ...
    Regards from Chile
    "El arte no reproduce lo visible. Lo hace visible" Paul Klee