ArtRage 5 Product PageArtRage Lite Product PageArtRage for iOS Product PageArtRage for Android Product PageArtRage  Android Oil Painter Free Product PageArtRage  Free Demos Page

Thread: Bilbo

Bilbo

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Bilbo Baggins watercolour.jpg 
Views:	65 
Size:	146.1 KB 
ID:	86376Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Bilbo-Baggins-painting.jpg 
Views:	65 
Size:	360.2 KB 
ID:	86377
    My first couple of attempts with Art Rage.
    I really like this software and feel I will do a lot better when I get a graphics pen.

Wow, done with a mouse??? That is insanely well done for being done with a mouse. ArtRage is by far my favorite software to work in, so much so that I don't even bother with other software anymore unless I need to check for CMYK compatibility.

Keep up the great work! What kind of graphics tablet are you looking to get?

Quote Originally Posted by Delofasht View Post
    Wow, done with a mouse??? That is insanely well done for being done with a mouse. ArtRage is by far my favorite software to work in, so much so that I don't even bother with other software anymore unless I need to check for CMYK compatibility.

Keep up the great work! What kind of graphics tablet are you looking to get?
    Thank you. I was looking at the Wacom Intuos Cth-680s-s Graphic Tablet. I am used to a mouse and started with Illustrator years ago. I did this from an etching for practicing vector points...Yes must be somewhere on the autistic spectrum.... but nowadays you would just hit the trace button and it would do it in seconds. I find Art rage so natural to use though and the CTRL Z feature is what saves me. I always liked natural media but the cost of materials would not sit too well with my skill level enough to be justifiable. However ArtRage gives the best of all worlds.. Free painting materials, a forgiving canvass, realistic effects and all without chemicals. :-) Click image for larger version. 

Name:	York Cathedral 1829.jpg 
Views:	71 
Size:	512.6 KB 
ID:	86400

The 680 is the Wacom Pen and Touch Intuos Medium size. I had one (before they reworked the packaging and it's presentation when it was still called Bamboo), and found it a bit lacking in the features I actually needed, it was a great beginner tablet and would have lasted a very long time if I'd not been needing something a bit more versatile. The reasons for which I can expand on if you would like.

I agree completely with how ArtRage has changed the way I use digital, it's almost the same thing as traditional for me now. ArtRage has come a long way from when I first toyed around with it a few years ago, it's become the best traditional media emulator I've found (far better and less expensive than Painter for me). If I'd the time to really explore it back then I probably wouldn't have ever used any other software ever.

Lastly, WOW that architectural work with a mouse! Trace features now days don't get it nearly as well done as you have in my opinion, great job. I used my brother's copy of illustrator for a short while and it was a good learning experience but wasn't exactly my cup of tea, I'm not a big vector guy, though I do like it for text.

Keep up the great work, glad to have you here on the AR forums!

Thank you Delofasht.

What type of pen do you use now?

The architectural drawing is quite a wonder. Beautiful.
    // "Appreciation fosters well-being. Be well." - Byron
    //
    My ArtRage Paintings Here
    // My Comprehensive AR4 & 3 Thread Here
    64 bit Win8Pro, 16GB Ram, Intel i7 Quad Core - 8 threads; Wacom Intuios 4

Very cute with the doggie!
    "Not a bit is wasted and the best is yet to come. . ." -- remembered from a dream

Quote Originally Posted by october18th View Post
    Thank you Delofasht.

What type of pen do you use now?
    Short answer: Art Pen (with Inutos Pro Medium)

Long answer: (warning some scary wall of text ensues describing what and why)

You are most welcome, I use the Art Pen now with my Intuos Pro Medium. The Art Pen and Intuos Pro have tilt recognition and barrel rotation detection, this means that nearly anything I can do with traditional media is now something I can do digitally (with regards to the ways to hold a pen or brush and rotating it). I use flat and filberts when painting traditionally so when I rotate the barrel of the brush my line thickness and angle varies based on how it is applied to the canvas, with the Art Pen I can do the same thing by rotating it's barrel, also the tilt angle affects things like the pencil tool in ArtRage to go from a pointed tip to a shading side of the pencil. This affects how I draw quite a bit too and I cannot use a software that doesn't take it into account (Sketchbook Pro, Rebelle, Mischief, and a few others) as it's too disruptive to my flow to go over and adjust the tilt for shading then back to tip for drawing precise lines.

These controls further can affect how the Sticker Spray tool reacts with the appropriate modifiers checked on the Spray Variation table. This is important as some of my painting tools need to be responsive to this for me to use for most creative endeavors. I know a great many digital and traditional artists who do not even consider these aspects important and it is why I mention them at every opportunity, such they people know what they are doing and why it gets an effect. For emulating traditional effects this is vastly more important than even pen pressure sensitivity as how you hold a pen, pencil, or brush is at least as important as how hard you push on it to get the effect you are looking for.

I do hope I am not going into too much depth here, I have been accused more than a few times for over explaining things. Probably rightly so, as I tend to give more than what is asked for, but a simple what doesn't answer why, and if you get it and don't like it, because of what limited information I might have provided, well I would feel rather responsible and money is tight these days for most people no need to waste when that can be avoided.

Good luck with your graphics tablet and stylus (whichever you decide to use).