ArtRage 5 Product PageArtRage Lite Product PageArtRage for iOS Product PageArtRage for Android Product PageArtRage  Android Oil Painter Free Product PageArtRage  Free Demos Page

Thread: Complete Newbie to Art and Artrage

Complete Newbie to Art and Artrage

Hi,

As the title says I'm completely new to art and Artrage itself. Due to personal problems, I'm basically stuck to working on my computer. I've been told that doing some drawing/painting artwork would help me. Can I learn how to paint and draw using Artrage? I am willing to move to a physical medium when I can, but at the moment my health prevents me from doing so. I've noted the tutorial links on this website, and I was thinking of taking a course in Artrage. Is that a good idea or am I biting off more than I can chew?

Many thanks,

Steve

Quote Originally Posted by D Akey View Post
    Try out the demo. I think the demo is still free?
    A demo you had to pay for would be fairly pointless, I think. Although, maybe that's an undiscovered market... Coming soon: Demo version $99.99
    http://www.artrage.com/demos/

Getting back on topic: Yes, you can learn to paint with ArtRage. You can learn to paint in ways similar to how you would in traditional media (e.g. sketch with a pencil, faithfully follow oil paint tutorials), or you can learn how to paint in ways you could never recreate in real life (mixing up an and all media, experimenting with digital effects and custom sticker sprays, just ignoring 'normal painting process' completely).

Can you learn to paint well? That's up to you. But as long as you're having fun, what does it matter? ArtRage can give you the same sort of effects and learning curve as if you had a box of paints, a paintbrush, a pencil and some crayons in front of you. But with an undo button, layers, zoom, and a few more menus and options to figure out.

There are plenty of tutorials out there addressing the technical side of ArtRage: what are the tools, how to get it to do certain things. There are also plenty of tutorials out there on 'how to draw'. And it doesn't matter what you're using when it comes to those, so don't feel you have to stick to the 'ArtRage only' tutorials, a lot of traditional drawing tutorials are just as helpful.

So, basically, yes. Try the demo, if you haven't already - just mess around with the tools, the pencils and the paints, mix some colours together and just get a feel for it. If you like it, then you can learn to draw anything you want and figure out the more complicated stuff later (if ever - there are some amazing artists who never touch some of the features in the program and focus on a few tools, and others who use every single feature). And don't put it off thinking that you have to Learn Everything first; you don't. And it can take ages to explain the way the paint will act in words, but it will be completely obvious once you just pick up a brush and make a stroke.
    Ambient Design Tech Support & Community Manager

This is not my signature.

Go forth and read the tutorials. Also, check out the featured artists!

I have been painting for a long time

My early works were of little animals and flowers and they were very simple. I kept at it. I did take classes but mainly I just kept painting and I got better. I am still improving. There is no end to the enjoyment of learning.

I totally understand where you are coming from. ArtRage is something you can work at (read: play) and when you get tired and need to rest, you don't have to pack up paints and brushes. No cleaning up messes. You can save what you are working on and come back again and again. Later, when you regain strength, then you can use the physical items to paint, i.e. canvases, brushes, paints, etc.
    In the meantime, get well and enjoy the peaceful feeling of creating in ArtRage.

No one mentioned whether you should have a graphics tablet, which you certainly should if you are going to have an intuitive and comfortable time drawing and painting. A mouse will simply not give you the control and will end up being more of a hinderance to your progress than a help. If I were to go back in time and spend money on only one thing to learn to draw and paint it would have been ArtRage and a graphic tablet (a Wacom Intuos Pro or 3 or 4 small), I could have learned nearly everything I know now with just those few tools and a lot of time reading, drawing, painting, and watching videos. Technical skills and techniques are easy to learn, but can be extremely time consuming to get really good at, or know when to use which technique or skill. Good luck in your art journey, have fun with it!

Thank you all for your replies. I have an graphic's tablet, and I'm looking forward to beginning this journey. With regards to learning art, I'm not looking for Artrage to transform me into an artistic genius, I just want to be able to follow painting lessons from online and in books.

Warmest Regards,

Steve
    Last edited by SteveB148; 05-02-2015 at 12:41 PM.

*That* you can definitely do. Just use a bit of common sense if they include advice about 'drying time' and so on

(And my biggest tip for a beginner: remember to just use a different layer whenever you start on a new, major, change, like colouring in a sketch. It saves so much pain when you make a mistake and it won't ever be spelt out in a traditional drawing tutorial)
    Ambient Design Tech Support & Community Manager

This is not my signature.

Go forth and read the tutorials. Also, check out the featured artists!

Keep in mind that, while ArtRage has been designed to mimic many traditional types of media, there are going to be methods in traditional media that you'll not be able to match, precisely. A tutorial that requires you to use a Fan Brush, for example, may have you scratching your head. In which case, it becomes a matter of learning and exploring the ArtRage programs features, over statically following steps.

Should you run into that situation, be sure to search the forums here, as someone else may have already asked for help in that area. If not, post a new query, because the community here is often more than willing to try and help find a solution.
    Nothing is easy to the unwilling.