ArtRage 5 Product PageArtRage Lite Product PageArtRage for iPad Product PageArtRage for Android Product PageArtRage  Android Oil Painter Free Product PageArtRage  Free Demos Page

Thread: A workaround and help please!

Gallery
    View images

A workaround and help please!

Hi I hope someone can help me with this little problem.

When I start a pic I first sketch it out on canvas and as I'm using a mouse I find it hard to use the pencil, but at 1 -3% the pencil is it's too fine and messy so I've been using the pen - which I can't rub out!

The only way I can loose the underlying sketch is too use a lot of paint.
    I tend to work in light layers and the pen shows through...and it's driving me to distraction.
    I thought maybe I could delete the sketch layer but I can't work out if it's possible.
    I would really welcome any ideas on a workaround

Also, what's the first button on the bottom left with a paint drip for, when I click it nothing happens, the thingy up the top reads single layer and with light on?

Allegra

Gallery
    View images
    Do you have the full version?

Sometimes I use the chalk /charcol for sketching at 1% , I dont use the pencil that much unless Im doing fine hair,

after I finished I either turn the pencil layer off, or delete it,

Im not sure if that was the answer you were looking for
    Enchanter
    Draw what you see!....not what you think you see!!
    My artist friend

We Must each think of ourselves as an endless work in progress ....Harley Brown

Gallery
    View images
    Hi Enchanter and thank you,
    Yes I have the full version. You said you turn the layer off or delete it - how do you do that?

I load a canvas, do the sketch then put a layer on and start painting I merge down to see what I'm doing but as I like to use light and many layers and I end up seeing the original sketch come through with the black lines when I'm finished - is there are way to delete the sketch?

Enchanter do you know what that tool is with painting dripping off it ?
    When you click it on the upper left a thing comes up and reads layer light on/off - does this have anything to do with it?

Gallery
    View images
    Hi Allegra,

The paint drip thing is the Eyedropper color sampler. Click it anywhere on the window to grab a colour, even from reference images.
    Because the canvas is "lit" by default the sampler sometimes finds a differently colored pixel, even on a seemingly uniform canvas.
    This is a real pain! The little menu enables you to select as if there were no light.

Turn the roughness down on the paper using the bottom menu at "load tracing image" This gives a finer pencil effect.

Use the Airbrush as a sketching pencil, very fine and high pressure.

Or, spray a black canvas white . then use the eraser to sketch with. This gives , for me, the finest lines of all.

Phil

-----------------------------------------------------

Click the little pile of layers and then switch off the layer you don't want to show.
    Luck is infatuated with the efficient.

Gallery
    View images
    Phil has explained the paint sampler

For the layers, as you know you can have many as you want,

you can also move them around

When I do a undersketch , I make a duplicate of this, one on top and one on bottom of the layer that im painting on, and then delete those, look at the side of the layers there should be a arrow, click the arrow and a menu comes up allowing to duplicate or delete layers and other stuff
    Enchanter
    Draw what you see!....not what you think you see!!
    My artist friend

We Must each think of ourselves as an endless work in progress ....Harley Brown

Gallery
    View images
    Ah! that's great Phil and Enchanter!

That's the color picker, it really had me stumped!
    I'd never thought of making a duplicate layer and deleting it!

Thank you so much for your help

Gallery
    View images
    Allegra, Another thought is to do your sketch using a very light gray color or some other light tone. It wouldn't interfere with your paint so much.

Another tip I posted elsewhere is that you can use the Alt key to change whatever tool you are using into a color picker without having to change tools. When you let go of Alt, you've got your original tool back.
    Give a man a fish and you feed him for a day - Teach a man to fish and he will sit in a boat and drink beer all day! Joe V.