ArtRage 5 Product PageArtRage Lite Product PageArtRage for iOS Product PageArtRage for Android Product PageArtRage  Android Oil Painter Free Product PageArtRage  Free Demos Page

Thread: Change location of "ArtRage Paintings" folder?

Change location of "ArtRage Paintings" folder?

Hello!

I'm using ArtRage4 (Steam version) and want to keep my files on a non-system drive (i.e., not in the "My Documents" folder), so I'd like to change the location of the custom content folders, etc. Is there a way to do this? I've been googling for an answer to this, but can't find it, so apologies if this has been answered before. Thanks!

(I see the option to change the location of temporary files, but I don't think that's what I need.)
    Last edited by motayba; 04-27-2015 at 05:30 AM. Reason: More info!

Hi there!

The ArtRage Paintings folder isn't mandatory, it's just for convenience and ease of finding paintings. If you would like to save elsewhere, just browse to a different folder when saving. ArtRage usually remembers the last place you saved to (or opened a file from), so it should take you straight there next time.
    Ambient Design Tech Support & Community Manager

This is not my signature.

Go forth and read the tutorials. Also, check out the featured artists!

I think maybe Motayba may be referring to the Custom Settings. It had once been in Program Files (x86)/Ambient Design/ArtRage/Resources/Custom Content. Now it shows up under Users/Sue Ellen/My Documents/ArtRage Paintings/Custom Content. ArtRage 64-bit is now under Program Files/Ambient Design/ArtRage-- but the Resources only list what comes with the program. Custom Content is now in My Documents. I've tried to move it but it just wouldn't budge. (I had wanted to move Custom Content to a more intuitive location. When I recently considered moving ArtRage to a second hard-drive, I remembered what happened when I wanted to move Custom Content and decided to leave everything where it is.) So strange to have Program Files in "My Documents."

Ah, right. Well, same principle applies, with a caveat.

1. You can save your presets anywhere, and just tell ArtRage where they are by using the 'add new preset' option in the Presets menu.
    2. However, they'll be automatically copied to that folder once you add them.
    3. And that's the only folder that ArtRage automatically scans to add new presets from when you start ArtRage.

So you can easily set up your own separate folder elsewhere, but you can't delete the original one.

The custom content is there with all the other ArtRage stuff, because otherwise you had to know how to find and understand all the program folders in order to add your own presets. Which also meant that you could accidentally delete the defaults as well. All the user-created files are grouped together in the ArtRage Paintings folder by default (which is why it's in Documents, because it's a bunch of different things, and it needs to be very easy to find). There's also a bunch of sub-folders in there, so changing the location actually changes quite a lot of program menu shortcuts (there's a whole list of shortcuts to the various folders under Tools > User Content, and each individual preset menu will take you to that tool's folder).

I'll make a note of the suggestion though, and we can see if it's possible/feasible to add in future.
    Ambient Design Tech Support & Community Manager

This is not my signature.

Go forth and read the tutorials. Also, check out the featured artists!

It's not just ArtRage-- Amazon MP3's also go into "my documents"--and there's nothing I dare do about it. It would have been good for me to have mentioned that in my previous post! I was concentrating on describing what Motayba had seen. But, as I say, baffling. I'm used to it now, that Amazon downloads and ArtRage Custom Content are in "My Documents"-- but it makes no sense. I think that means it's a Windows thing, but so far it's only affecting Motayba and me.

Hi sueellen,
    No it's not entirely a Windows thing, on the Mac they also go into the Documents folder.
    I too tried moving the ArtRage Paintings folder and separately just the Custom Content folder but all to no avail.
    On the Mac the custom content used to be tucked away in Application Support (more or less the equivalent of Windows Program Files) in the user's home Library folder.
    Maker Of Replica Macoys

Techie Stuff:
    ArtRage 5.0.5 ~ 15" Macbook Pro
    + 22" HD Monitor ~ macOS 10.12.6 ~ 4 Core i7 3.1GHz CPU ~ 16GB RAM ~ Wacom Intuos4 M and a Spyder4Pro (to keep the colours true!)

Hi, all,
    Thanks for your quick responses! It's too bad that the location of these folders can't be changed, so I would definitely vote for a setting in the preferences to choose their location. (That, or just move them back to the Program folder.)

Like many folks these days, I keep my OS and some programs on an SSD, but all of my files, documents, etc., on a separate HDD. For me, the "My Documents" folder on the C:\ drive is really for the programs' documents, not mine. Anything I create goes on that separate drive. I can see how this particular folder of custom content could go either way, but since the presets are copied to the folder when added, it seems to me the Program folder would be the best place for it.

In any case, giving the user the option configure their computer how they like is always preferable, so here's hoping you all can give us the choice in the future.