ArtRage 5 Product PageArtRage Lite Product PageArtRage for iOS Product PageArtRage for Android Product PageArtRage  Android Oil Painter Free Product PageArtRage  Free Demos Page

Thread: iPad Photo Import, or how do I create rectangles ??

iPad Photo Import, or how do I create rectangles ??

Hi, very new to using Art Rage. I have an iPad Air, using AR 1.6.9, and iOS 8.3. I'm wanting to create designs using rectangles, squares, etc. I could not see how to create a shape such as a rectangle, so I created an image and saved it to the Photos app, then created a 2nd image in AR. From it I tried to import the first image, but both images were grayed out, as if the opacity had changed dramatically. I could see how to re-size the imported image (though it was clunky), but I could not see how to rotate it. The options seemed limited.

I've been looking at AR images on Flickr (created by iPad), and have seen rectangles.

I love curves and arcs, but drawing a straight line would be great too.

Thanks

Based on what you've described, it sounds as though you imported the square images as Tracing layers, when you probably wanted was to import them to normal independent layers (more on this in a moment).

Now, you've already created a square image to import, but for the sake of anyone else who may also be interested and may not have another art program to use, here's what I did to create a square image for importing as a shape in ArtRage for the iPad. But for you, you could just skip to the last two images (look for the green dividing line).

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	1.png 
Views:	68 
Size:	366.3 KB 
ID:	86245

Name:	2.png 
Views:	76 
Size:	228.5 KB 
ID:	86246

Name:	3.png 
Views:	69 
Size:	327.1 KB 
ID:	86247
    Steps to insert the image as a layer_____________________________________________ ____________________________________

Name:	4.png 
Views:	69 
Size:	311.1 KB 
ID:	86248

Name:	5.png 
Views:	72 
Size:	377.6 KB 
ID:	86249
    Last edited by Someonesane; 04-19-2015 at 01:19 PM.
    Nothing is easy to the unwilling.

Now, as for a straight line... Fill a blank layer using the Bucket Fill tool and then go to the layer menu and select the "Transform layer" option. You can then either pinch the fill to a thinner size (and place it wherever you'd like) or you can drag the fill off the side of the canvas, so that only a sliver of the fill is left visible. Set the transformation and you'll be left with a thin line, which you can then transform again to place wherever you'd like.

Curves and arcs are different case. The only thing I can come up with for that, at the moment, is to again use an already created external shape. If the imported image is a circle/oval, you could probably overlap those shapes in the ArtRage App and use the Bucket Fill (with the "Single Layer" setting turned off) to fill the thin area of the overlapped circles to create arcs.

Thank you Someonesane

Thank you for your responses. I can see where I was going about it wrong in that I was using the "Load Image" to bring in the photo, not realizing I could do it as a layer. Art Rage is an exciting app, and I thank you again for your helpful answers.

Quote Originally Posted by Someonesane View Post
    Now, as for a straight line... Fill a blank layer using the Bucket Fill tool and then go to the layer menu and select the "Transform layer" option. You can then either pinch the fill to a thinner size (and place it wherever you'd like) or you can drag the fill off the side of the canvas, so that only a sliver of the fill is left visible. Set the transformation and you'll be left with a thin line, which you can then transform again to place wherever you'd like.

Curves and arcs are different case. The only thing I can come up with for that, at the moment, is to again use an already created external shape. If the imported image is a circle/oval, you could probably overlap those shapes in the ArtRage App and use the Bucket Fill (with the "Single Layer" setting turned off) to fill the thin area of the overlapped circles to create arcs.

Quote Originally Posted by Someonesane View Post
    Excuse me, I'm over here scooping bits of my brain back in after you blew my mind. I always just try and use a real ruler on the screen.
    Ambient Design Tech Support & Community Manager

This is not my signature.

Go forth and read the tutorials. Also, check out the featured artists!

Quote Originally Posted by HannahRage View Post
    Excuse me, I'm over here scooping bits of my brain back in after you blew my mind. I always just try and use a real ruler on the screen.
    Oh dear... I guess I'll need to start including a disclaimer with my posts, about the dangers of new discoveries.

I use an Andriod tablet.. but same thing.. and instead of carrying a ruler around.. use your credit card (business card.. etc) Anything that has a factory straight edge.

By the way.. I don't know about the IOS stylus.. but on my Galaxy 10.1.. there is a tip. So I can also use a stencil set (the tip fits inside the lines nicely) and make any shape I want.. Lines, arcs, curves, circles and so on). Of course you can't do this with finger drawing.. nor with the rubber tip stylus'. But if you have one with a pen tip it should work fine.