ArtRage 5 Product PageArtRage Lite Product PageArtRage for iOS Product PageArtRage for Android Product PageArtRage  Android Oil Painter Free Product PageArtRage  Free Demos Page

Thread: weird brush/canvas roughness problem

weird brush/canvas roughness problem

so here's a weird bug:
    With canvas "grain roughness" set to 2% or -2%, I get weird artifacts with the chalk/wax and pencil tools: Strange, regular, patterns of 100% pen pressure, that look blocky (see attached image). It doesn't happen 100% of the time for me (though it mostly does), and as far as i can tell it's only specifically those canvas grain roughness values that have a problem. 0% seems fine, as does 1 or 3%! It's obviously easily avoidable, and I only encountered it because I attempted to drag roughness to zero and "missed" by a couple of percent points (took me a while to figure out the connection though - I was worried for a while that the pressure sensitivity on my Cintiq was broken(!!!)). As far i can tell only pencil and wax are affected.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	messed up brush.png 
Views:	41 
Size:	255.0 KB 
ID:	86230

This is in AR 64bit 4.5.4

i think i spoke too soon... although with a new painting, it seems that the problem only starts when setting roughness to 2%, in an existing file that had previously used the bad setting, i can't seem to get rid of the problem (even after trying a bunch of different roughness values). Ugh

Now to figure out how to recover this painting....

Looks to me like the tools in question tend to pick up the grain more than other tools.. A couple of possible workarounds..

#1 - Fill a layer with a very light grey (or any other color of your choice.. It didn't seem to be as pronounced to me then.

#2 - Set your grain to 4 or 5... It seems the tools in question work fine there.

Hi daniel78
    I think what you are seeing has been noted before and is the result of a fairly rare combination of low tool pressure + low canvas texture.
    For now we just have to try and avoid those combinations and work around them.
    You can see a post from Matt on the subject here: http://forums.artrage.com/showthread...953#post448953
    Maker Of Replica Macoys

Techie Stuff:
    ArtRage 5.0.5 ~ 15" Macbook Pro
    + 22" HD Monitor ~ macOS 10.12.6 ~ 4 Core i7 3.1GHz CPU ~ 16GB RAM ~ Wacom Intuos4 M and a Spyder4Pro (to keep the colours true!)

Thanks for the info! Yeah, seems pretty easy to avoid in the future by not using low grain values. But it was a bit weird that it seemed to have broken/corrupted the one painting where i'd previously had that low value set (such that i was still getting the artifacts even after I'd reset the grain settings to more reasonable values).

I managed to "fix" it in this case, by exporting as a psd, and reimporting (luckily I hadn't been relying on any paint mixing, or any other artrage specific stuff - just doing straight-up digital style work)