ArtRage 5 Product PageArtRage Lite Product PageArtRage for iOS Product PageArtRage for Android Product PageArtRage  Android Oil Painter Free Product PageArtRage  Free Demos Page

Thread: Apple Blossoms WIP

Apple Blossoms WIP

Here is Part 1 of my newest Painting in the "Spring Collection" This is done in Watercolor on AR.. with pencil for the sketch. This is more complicated so I couldn't just paint without the sketch. The background is just a placeholder as I don't like it at all! The first leaf on the branch still needs some work as well.. it's just roughed in for now.

Any critiques or thoughts are more than welcome..

Last edited by BushcraftOnFire; 04-17-2015 at 06:48 PM.

Great start! It appears to me that you are progressing in a very linear fashion, working from one flower to the next and trying to finish each before moving on to the next. I used to do my paintings in the same way until roughly 8 years ago when I started working the painting as a whole in passes. It took a year or two of painting in passes before it really 'clicked' for me and I realized just how much more effective it really was. I realized I was working much more quickly by working in passes, that it was easier to focus on a single aspect that I felt needed work across the whole, the painting cohesion seemed better, and I was less prone to burn out on a piece. Now I can knock a painting out in somewhere between 10 to 15 hours for the whole thing. I think I'd have learned it much faster if I had been doing a painting a month instead of one every few months (full time job + courting the woman of my dreams makes it hard to find time to paint). I strongly suggest trying it at some point. . . if you haven't already, and if you have, maybe try it again it really pays off in the end. There are far more benefits than I listed here too. If you have any questions regarding formulating an approach there is a good description of how to do so in Creative Illustration by Andrew Loomis. I don't recall the chapter but there is a table of contents in the book that will let you read that chapter directly, it's my go to book anytime I feel like I'm struggling with something in a painting or illustration.

I really am liking this spring season series you are working on by the way, I feel there is a lot of good information learned in it and it's just a joy to do painting of flowers and such. I have recently started my studies for an entire world building series of paintings I am going to be doing, very architectural and fashion based work, set in the dark ages with a scifi twist. Doing the series for that is likely to take me a few years of studies, paintings, prop design (which needs to be reflected in the architecture and fashions of the era). . . it's gonna be big and intimidating but I feel confident I can design everything and build it up, I'll begin posting that stuff from time to time after I get the harbor landscape done.

Good luck with your series, I'll be watching!

Thanks for the comments Delo!

I. too. typically do the overall as a photocopier would.. transitioning through the entire piece.. it helps keep your colors in perspective. The reason it looked linear last night was that I got caught up in the far left of the branch just to get something on the canvas.. It was late.. and it would have looked rather droll just having the line work there

Here is installment 2 after the first pass on the entire piece.. just getting basic colors in right now.. then it will begin to develop as I add some shading and detail work. I thought I would show my entire desktop as it may help some who are just beginning..

Last edited by BushcraftOnFire; 04-18-2015 at 07:24 AM.

So very nice! Excellent setup, keeping the reference pinned close is handy. I totally understand getting some sort of interesting color on the page, it's actually why I do my thumbnails in color and do them very loose (just enough to give me an idea of what is going on). I really like the WIP shots, gives me a glimpse pf this watercolor process in ArtRage, it has been many years since I worked in watercolor, ArtRage's tools feel pretty authentic for how I remember using watercolor except I haven't figured out the setting for painting on wet paper yet (probably has to do with the loading).

Thanks again for sharing the process I am certain I will learn much from it!

Thanks again Delo..

It took me awhile to figure out the watercolor myself.. I almost exclusively use wet on wet.. putting the lighter colors down first (typically.. not always). I use a dabbing technique.. similar to dropping the paint onto the wet paint in real watercolors. Seems to work well and blend nicely. The new background was done something like that with a 500 brush.

One thing is that you can't really blend out watercolors.. so you need to plan carefully. But you CAN blur.. and it looks very much like a wet wash when finished.

Just a few things I have found thus far... Thanks again for the encouragement.