ArtRage 5 Product PageArtRage Lite Product PageArtRage for iOS Product PageArtRage for Android Product PageArtRage  Android Oil Painter Free Product PageArtRage  Free Demos Page

Thread: Mixing paint styles

Mixing paint styles

Hi,

I apologize if the question seems silly.

Would there be situations where I would want to mix water paint style with oil paint style ?

By mixing I do not mean specifically mixing a water stroke with oil stroke but rather having the two styles in the same painting.

For instance I just found that doing hair in water color might make sense (not sure yet) whereas I would not want the overall look of my painting to look "water-color-like"

Regards,

Philippe

Well in traditional you can get a VERY wide range of effects with Oils and thinners including some very watercolor kind of looks, even many of the wet into wet techniques are possible with Oils. As we work digitally though, use whatever technique you like to get the result that you want, if you are fine with the look then roll with it. There are no rules in art, only tools. (plenty of guidelines, but that's all they are because no one in life can tell you what is right or wrong, only you can decide that much) Mmm.... starting to get pretty philosophical, must mean it's an hour past midnight o'clock. Good luck to you, hope it works out well!

Thanks, I am so used to following strict rules in my trade that I am having a hard time stepping out.

Regards

Philippe
    Last edited by philippecmartin; 04-17-2015 at 07:49 AM.

Lynda.com author, Digital Tutors instructor
    I think you are going to love "stepping out" of the traditional mode! It'll really expand your creativity IMO.

ArtRage4.5.9 MACPRO (El Capitan), Wacom Cintiq 13HD, iPad3, Note 4, Wacom Intous & Nomad Brush Compose.
    ArtRage Courses: Intro to AR, Materials in AR, Portraits in AR (http://tinyurl.com/j6cyvwx)

MANY artists use 2 or 3 types of media in a work.. I don't think there's any problem with it whatsoever.. Who says we have to be limited?

Wanted to come back and expand my thoughts a bit more as I think this might be something many of us face as artists.

Mixing media in Traditional comes with potential integrity consequences, and as such need to be accounted for, depending on the purpose of the piece. For illustrators this is largely a nonissue as your work is made to be eventually scanned/photographed and reproduced, and the final piece's longevity is not the main concern. For gallery art, often the buyer is looking for a quality piece that will last, this is when making something that will last generations might be important, and as such mixing media 'may' affect how much a gallery can ask for the piece.

All this being said, in digital you can do whatever you like to achieve the kind of look you want. Your clientele could normally care less and as such so can you. I personally like to work in as traditional a manner as possible and there are a few limitations digitally that do not directly reproduce the look I like, but I have learned how to get darn close at this point (with the help ore ArtRage). My reasoning for working in the similar manner though is at least as important as what I do, traditional techniques have given me very consistent predictable results that feel very smooth. When using purely digital techniques I have found often my work takes on the look some something digital, like made by a computer and not a person, almost fake, or sometimes completely fake looking. That isn't always the case, but it is harder to keep it looking hand crafted when you use a procedural filter or other digital only trick.

So, like I said last time, no rules only tools. Good luck and have fun!