ArtRage 5 Product PageArtRage Lite Product PageArtRage for iOS Product PageArtRage for Android Product PageArtRage  Android Oil Painter Free Product PageArtRage  Free Demos Page

Thread: Mouse Freezes After Starting

Unhappy Mouse Freezes After Starting

I've been using ArtRage 4.0.2 for a while in my pc without any problems. The previous versions i experimented with (2.5, 3.0, etc) worked normally too...

Suddenly, out of the blue (without no changes of hardware or software at all) everytime i open the program, it freezes my cursor and the cursor (both the tablet or mouse) keeps frozen until i restart the system. Even if i shut down ArtRage, the cursor keeps frozen.

For test sake, i uninstalled my previous ArtRage, cleaned up the registry, downloaded a demo version online, installed it, and tried to run it... in the first seconds, everything worked normally, the mouse/tablet pen worked allright in the demo version... but after i closed the program and tried to open it again, it showed the same behaviour of the previous installed version: the system cursor got helplessly frozen until system restart, even using a "different" version of ArtRage.

It happens on the very start of the program. I've looked down online for someone with a similar problem, but with no success... could you help to shine a light on this situation?

I'm using windows 7 x64. ( i Would like to upgrade to new 4.5 x64 version but i'm afraid of the freezing issue occurring in the new version too)

Any suggestions? Thanks in advance!

I don't think it's an issue with AR directly. I think you have a mouse driver problem and that opening AR aggravates it. Try going to your drivers.. uninstall the mouse driver.. and reinstall. Do this BEFORE you open anything else after a fresh reboot. Also reboot right after you do it.. it shoudl clear things up

It may also be a tablet driver issue (drivers are to blame 99.9945% of the time - they may just be out of date, and some minor update in something else 'broke' it). Try uninstalling your tablet driver as well/instead, rebooting, and then see if you have problems.

If you don't, then it was definitely the driver. Download and install the latest driver from the company website and see if it still works after that.

If you're having trouble still, you're welcome to contact us directly at support@artrage.com. We'll still make you do the driver dance first, before looking into anything else, but we'll walk you through it if you need a hand.
    Ambient Design Tech Support & Community Manager

This is not my signature.

Go forth and read the tutorials. Also, check out the featured artists!

Unhappy Driver Dance

Well fellows... i would like to thank you for the support, the idea of the driver dance seemed good... as follows:

01 - Uninstalled the mouse driver and restarted the system.
    02 - Uninstalled the tablet driver and restarted the system.
    03 - Uninstalled ArtRage and restarted the system.
    04 - Used CCleaner to check on registry and clean any remains.
    05 - Reinstalled the mouse driver, restarted the system, mouse working, restarted the system.
    06 - Reinstalled the tablet driver ( looked up online for the most recent driver), restarted the system.
    07 - After restart, both tablet and mouse working normally. Installed ArtRage (version 4), restarted the system.
    08 - Opened photoshop, tried it with both tablet and mouse, working ok
    09 - Opened Krita 2.9, started to draw something in it, tablet working ok, switched to mouse, mouse working ok.
    10 - Opened ArtRage, as soon as the splash screen closes and the program main window appears, mouse freezes.

After restart, both the mouse and the tablet are working normally again, with any software i try to use (even the ones with the most possible similar resources as i mentioned before), except ArtRage. I was hopeful it was really a driver problem, but i only got the pointer freezing issue when the program starts, even after the driver dance, and all the restarting and stuff...

I was very excited about the new x64 version but now i'm too afraid to get it and it freezes on my pc

Thanks anyway folks...

Okay, next thing to try is to make sure it's using the right inputs and check on Windows Ink (it would have been good to try ArtRage without a tablet driver installed, as that would tell is if it *was* the tablet driver, but we'll assume it is for now).

Open ArtRage and go to Edit > ArtRage Preferences > Input Settings.

a. Make sure that Wintab is ON and Precise Tablet and RealTime Stylus are turned OFF.
    b. Restart ArtRage and test.
    c. If that doesn’t help, turn Wintab OFF and RealTime Stylus ON
    d. Restart ArtRage and test

Turn off Windows Ink as it can interfere with other programs.

a) Go to Start > Wacom Tablet > Wacom Tablet Properties > Mapping tab
    b) Uncheck "Use Windows Ink" in the bottom left corner

If neither of those fix it, contact us at support@artrage.com and we'll see what else we can suggest. Out of curiousity, are you able to use the ArtRage32 (32 bit) version without problems?

This will be a driver conflict issue, most likely your tablet driver is trying to send Wintab and Realtime Stylus data at the same time and hanging in the process. Apps that only support one of those standards will be fine, but an app like ArtRage that supports both standards may need one turned off. Contact support@artrage.com and let us know what type of input device you're using and we can go through some troubleshooting steps from there.
    Matt
    ArtRage UI
    Ambient Design.

Updates on the process...

Dear Hannah and Matt,

I couldn't do as you suggested because when ArtRage freezes the cursor both via mouse, and via tablet as well... I still can use the keybord to close the program via alt+F4, per example, but i can't access the program's menu or use any of its features in any circunstances, since it is completely frozen.

So i close ArtRage, and after i close it, the cursor keeps frozen on the same place it was when the program opened. I tried to do (separately):

A) uninstall the mouse driver and start ArtRage using only the tablet; it Freezes.

B) uninstall the tablet driver and start ArtRage using only the mouse; it Freezes.

Since i got no problem at all with any other program (even art programs wich use the tablet) in my entire system and i didn't made any drastic driver or system-significative change recently, i can't see problems outside the ArtRage (wich i uninstalled, cleaned the system for traces and reinstalled a few times since this problem started to happen, along with the "driver dance")...

I was really excited to get the new x64 version, but if it freezes too?

Still in hope, thanks in advance for the attention.

Drat, sorry, I forgot to reread the beginning of the thread. You can very easily test whether 4.5 will work by downloading the demo - it will probably have exactly the same issue, but it is very easy to check.

You should be able to turn off Windows Ink, as that's in the Wacom Tablet settings, not ArtRage.

But yes, if you contact us at support@artrage.com we can do a bit more troubleshooting that looks at your individual set up a bit more specifically.

Thumbs up Update on the process

Hello there.

I'm happier now, i'm almost there. After all the driver dances, uninstallings and reinstallings, i tried something that maybe solved the freezing problem. I uninstalled all the ArtRage traces (both 4 Demo and 4 versions) and cleaned up the system again with a registry cleaner software for leftover traces of programs.

I installed an older version of ArtRage Demo i had here in some old backup DVD (version 2.5) and it worked. So i asked for a friend (he had other demo versions) and he passed me the 3.0.7 and the 3.5 Demo versions... Installed both and both worked normally, without freezing the mouse.

After that, i downloaded a fresh version of the version 4 Demo from the AR site and installed it... and voila! It worked too!!! I restarted the system, and proceeded to uninstall the older versions, just to confirm the problem was gone. With system boots in the middle. I assume that one AR file could be corrupted and when i cleaned the traces in the registry (and/or when i installed the older demos) the file could be replaced for a working one.

Everything allright after that, i proceeded to the site to acquire my version of AR 4.5 x64.

Until now, the things are running well with the mouse - tablet - AR interaction.

Thanks everyone.

*applauds*

I'm very glad to hear that you got it working again! That sounds like it was quite a mission. I hope you don't have any more problems, but if you do, you know where to find us