Thread: Thoughts about the Eraser tool and why I love it: a suggestion

Thoughts about the Eraser tool and why I love it: a suggestion

I can completely understand people's frustration with the eraser tool as it currently is. I would love to 'un-ink' 'un-wash' 'un-paint' with the eraser tool directly rather than make such marks with the other tools on another layer and make a stencil to erase through.

Here's the thing that is complete genius about the current eraser tool: It accounts for the 'thickness', the amount of material on the canvas as well as the layer and canvas textures. This creates a unique tool for removal that I have not found in any other software. I use this quality of the tool in my daily work and would miss it more than I think is really very healthy of me. :-) Let me show you an example of what I am talking about.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	ArtRage-Eraser-is-genius.jpg 
Views:	671 
Size:	284.3 KB 
ID:	86135

There are many uses for which this quality of the eraser tool has evolved effective techniques for making marks that I need in my workflow.

My suggestion is that should the eraser tool get a re-tooling, to treat it with the kind of respect to the original qualities of the tool that we saw when the pallet knife tool was expanded to include more 'digital' capabilities. Make it a tab on the tool settings, rather than remove function that is so fundamentally useful to working artists. In truth my first preference would be to introduce layer masks that could be painted into with any of the tools. That would be an addition to ArtRage that changes the whole game.
    Last edited by Fashmir; 04-10-2015 at 03:19 AM.
    Be well,

"Teach, Learn, Thrive"~DM

I agree completely Fashir, both modes of erasing are valid, though I actually prefer the ArtRage Eraser to any I've ever used (especially traditional erasers). That said a toggle for the eraser to work otherwise would be most useful too. As to layer masks this would be exceptionally useful especially if I could link it to a group to mask an entire group like I used to in Photoshop when doing some kinds of work.

I would like the "clear" blend mode for any tool that lets you change it's blend mode, where 'clear' makes the tool remove pixels according to it's various properties, this would turn ink pen into an eraser just with a flick of a blend mode, or allow for custom eraser sheets using the sticker spray tool. Preferably with a way to hotkey the blend mode as a toggle.

Delofasht- Great suggestions! I would love to see a 'clear' tick box in the settings panel for what you describe. And yes layer masks for layers and layer groups both would be a major step for ArtRage.
    Be well,

"Teach, Learn, Thrive"~DM

Transparent paint

Quote Originally Posted by Delofasht View Post
    I agree completely Fashmir, both modes of erasing are valid, though I actually prefer the ArtRage Eraser to any I've ever used (especially traditional erasers). That said a toggle for the eraser to work otherwise would be most useful too. As to layer masks this would be exceptionally useful especially if I could link it to a group to mask an entire group like I used to in Photoshop when doing some kinds of work.
    I would like the "clear" blend mode for any tool that lets you change it's blend mode, where 'clear' makes the tool remove pixels according to it's various properties, this would turn ink pen into an eraser just with a flick of a blend mode, or allow for custom eraser sheets using the sticker spray tool. Preferably with a way to hotkey the blend mode as a toggle.
    Name:  snip_20160905182508.png
Views: 845
Size:  68.3 KB

In Photoshop, by using the Erase mode / Clear mode on a brush, I can use every brush as an eraser, as you can see in the image above. In Clip Studio I just select the transparent color to paint away strokes or parts of a picture. I use the same technique in Sketch Book Pro...just selecting the transparency (red circle) and paint away the paint..
    Name:  snip_20160905183603.png
Views: 881
Size:  30.3 KB
    That is what I like to see in next release of ArtRage, because the eraser has the same look as the brush, it does not "destroy" the looks of the brush marks. It is even possible to fill areas with transparent "paint"...the paint bucket tool / the fill tool, acts as a big eraser... just like hitting the "Ctrl+X" or "Del" on the keyboard...

How about that, Delofasht and Fashmir?

Lightbulb

What I would like is simply the way Krita and Sketchbook Pro work - you set the color to transparent. Then ANY tool is an eraser. I can't state enough how awesome that feature is. I hope someday they add support for a transparent color because it would make this program so much better. The workflows I use a lot require me to make a mark and then make mistakes intentionally and iteratively erase away. Sort of like a subtractive process. A big glob of something in a silhouette and then chisel away with the eraser to refine. I am too intimidated by line contour drawing and I find using positive space and adding negative to it is the best way for me to get the best results. Both Sketchbook Pro and Krita have a transparent color that simply erases with the same tool. I was hoping there was a blending mode for Erase because then any brush could easily use that. Just a thought.

Love art rage but man it would be a lot better by adding a transparent color that acts as an eraser.

Thanks!

I just realized Henry Stahle articulated exactly what I meant already. Sorry.

I would love a "paint with transparency" feature for the oil and custom brush tools, and a rectangular option for the current eraser

just my $ 0,02

This kneaded eraser is a must-have for artists since it allows you to do more than just wipe out mistakes on canvases and papers. It's not only the best eraser for colored pencils, but it's also great for lifting techniques.