ArtRage 5 Product PageArtRage Lite Product PageArtRage for iOS Product PageArtRage for Android Product PageArtRage  Android Oil Painter Free Product PageArtRage  Free Demos Page

Thread: First ArtRage

First ArtRage

Finished my first painting in ArtRage today. A landscape as it's my favorite subject matter, though this one was rather boring as far as composition or subject matter and I hadn't given it nearly as much thought before building it as I should have. Still I feel it turned out fantastically overall and am very content with my results, most important to me was the feel and look I was getting without having to fight the software (I'd been using Photoshop for years now and this feels so much better for painting).

You can see the work in progress shots here: Landscape

And here is the final (if I make any changes I'll post it further on in this thread):

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	ARLandscape5.jpg 
Views:	35 
Size:	301.3 KB 
ID:	86127

I was really fun learning ArtRage with this painting and now I think I'll use my skills that I learned here to paint more things. Any comments or thoughts of things to change are welcome. (I'm really considering moving that boat somewhere. . .)

- Delo

Really nice finished product Delo.. I love it..

I agree that you should move the boat.. since it's a main focal point my suggestion would be to the lower 1/3 leftmost 1/3 quadrant.. just to the left and below the waterfall.. But that's your call.. Excellent work Bro!

Yeah I feel like the right side of the image is a bit heavy at the moment, but I did like the idea that this boat is almost in the brightest part of the painting (it sits in the light between the break in the clouds). Maybe i can balance it with another boat half in the shadows on the other side. I'll give it a try in a day or two after I've let this settle in my mind and see if any other changes come to mind as well so I can do it all in one sitting.

- Delo

Quote Originally Posted by Delofasht View Post
    Yeah I feel like the right side of the image is a bit heavy at the moment, but I did like the idea that this boat is almost in the brightest part of the painting (it sits in the light between the break in the clouds). Maybe i can balance it with another boat half in the shadows on the other side. I'll give it a try in a day or two after I've let this settle in my mind and see if any other changes come to mind as well so I can do it all in one sitting.

- Delo
    My only coloring touch up suggestion would be to nudge the color of the sky or the water a wee bit closer to each other so it feels a bit more like "that sky" is reflected in "that water".

My only other suggestion is to scale down the boat and the dock to increase expansiveness of the scene and make the lake look bigger. The scale and position of the clouds in front of the cliff to the right as well as the grandeur and size of the cliffs themselves would be greatly enhanced also.

I really like the vista. Nice spot to visit if it were a real place!!

Wow and wow! this is quite an entrance! You ought to be really proud of it. The colors are great, the atmospheric perspective is really good as well, the sky, the grass, the cliffs all very nice. Plus I think your sense of composition is really good. For all of the things that you have going on in the picture, it's really clear what you're directing us to look at and it's also a good one to meander in, so it's far from chaotic.

Not everybody can highly populate a painting with information without it spinning into a tangle. On so many levels this works great. It even looks very much like a painting done the natural way.

Were I looking to make a comment or suggestion, it would be Considering the scale of the boat and the dock, as was mentioned, what I would want to see is a larger body of water. It's really not quite big enough to sail around in. If I were being logical about it, I would want to see that the water is actually a river that's warranting a sailboat being there. That sure on the right is so nicely painted that I would hate to see that area modified.

I'm not really even suggesting that you change anything. I'm just kibitzing. but I would think that opening it up a little bit on the left, while it would corrupt the general symmetry of the scene, it would allow you to keep your sailboat as large as it is and not feel distracted by the scale. But that's really just nitpicking. The painting is fantastic. I love it as it is! And I can't wait to see more.

I've been reading your comments to other people here in the forum regarding their artwork, and it reveals that you have a deep background and understanding in art principles. And this shows it. There have been a number of people interested in subjective art who come through here espousing the value of Andrew Loomis. And I'm certainly one of them as well. It's nice to see someone who likes what he has to offer and incorporates it into their work.

So welcome! And thanks for posting and I know I'm not the only one who looks forward to seeing more of your paintings.

Go man go!

"Not a bit is wasted and the best is yet to come. . ." -- remembered from a dream

Thanks so much everyone for the comments! I'd been long considering my feelings towards the scale of the boat. It feels larger than it actually is. . . only a skiff, but it is definitely reading as a larger boat than that. Will probably paint it out and redo it, maybe add a couple more elements of overlap to increase some of the depth. Just jotting down notes on a scrap sheet at the moment to come back and rework some areas for sure.

It's good to be here, really glad I found this software and this community, it's one of the best I've ever had the pleasure of being a part of. After I get done with this series of example scripts showing my process and usage of my brushes, I think I will come back and finish this then, hopefully not more than a week or so. So probably a touch up on the water to desaturate it as it gets further away from us as it's reading a touch too saturated right now, and rescaling the boat, maybe adding another element in the shadows on the left side of the image too to separate the water and cliffs and foliage of the closer foreground elements a bit more. Might just brush in some soft mists on the water in a few areas to push some space. Well think that's about all the notes I'll need to fix it up where I want it to be, always good to step away for a couple days and look at it again with fresh eyes. = )

Thanks again everyone!

For a glimpse of my process in the early stages, you can find a WIP of my cat on my DA site here. Block In Brush Meow They are downloadable scripts you can run to see my brush usage throughout the whole process and I will be adding to this series until I bring it to a completion.

- Delo