ArtRage 5 Product PageArtRage Lite Product PageArtRage for iOS Product PageArtRage for Android Product PageArtRage  Android Oil Painter Free Product PageArtRage  Free Demos Page

Thread: Using Fill tool with Stencil - Error ?

Using Fill tool with Stencil - Error ?

I have just tried to use the Fill Tool to fill in an aperture in a Stencil only to find that it filled the whole canvas. I was expecting the fill to stop at the boundries of the aperture in the Stencil. Is this a Bug or am I missing some setting ??

This surprised me, too, the first time it happened. I've learned to think of it as I would in real-life techniques. In real life, I get the use of the stencil by painting over it. If I were to pour paint into one of the apertures of the stencil, it would run under the stencil and cover the paper. To use the Fill tool on a specific area-- say, to make an area of gradation in a stenciled area-- I have used a brush/marker over my chosen stencil to put the design on the canvas, then used the "Select Area Contents" choice in Edit. The Fill tool will obey the Selection tool and confine its fill to within the "running ants" line.

Re- Stencil fill

Yes but why does it not spill out everytime but only occasionally. I have got good fill with the Fill Tool by clicking right in the centre of an aperture of a Stencil without any spillout.

Hmmm. Yes. I see it. I can get the Fill Tool to respond to a stencil when I use the basic Fill, but not when I choose Gradient Fill or Pattern Fill. We'll need someone with more savvy to explain why it works only sometimes.

I think this comes down to the actual stencil being used.
    If a stencil has a solid border round it then nothing "leaks out" as it were all over the canvas even at 100% spread.
    However not all stencils have borders and it seems these are the "leaky" ones.
    For comparison have a play with two of AR's included Texture stencils; Bark and Mossy.

As for Gradient and Pattern fills they need to have a selected area to confine them to otherwise the just don't know when to stop!
    I made a short vid a while ago that touches on this if you want to look it's here: http://forums.artrage.com/showthread...893#post473893
    So if you want to use a Gradient or Pattern fill with a stencil you need to mark out on top of the stencil the area you want to fill with the selection tool first. (This can also be done for a normal fill on "leaky" borderless stencils too.)
    Maker Of Replica Macoys

Techie Stuff:
    ArtRage 5.0.5 ~ 15" Macbook Pro
    + 22" HD Monitor ~ macOS 10.12.6 ~ 4 Core i7 3.1GHz CPU ~ 16GB RAM ~ Wacom Intuos4 M and a Spyder4Pro (to keep the colours true!)

As mark.. I have found that if you use a rectangular Selection INSIDE the edge of the stencil.. then it works just fine. Interestingly enough.. If you do it normally it fills the entire page.. including areas around the cutouts inside the stencil border. But if you make the stencil selection... It only fills the empty spaces inside the stencil.

This can lead to interesting effects, as you can make selections with stencils.. and get an unlimited number of variations.

David