ArtRage 5 Product PageArtRage Lite Product PageArtRage for iPad Product PageArtRage for Android Product PageArtRage  Android Oil Painter Free Product PageArtRage  Free Demos Page

Thread: PSD file

Gallery
    View images

PSD file

I wanted to bring my Artrage file into Paint Shop Pro so I saved it as a psd file so that I could use the layers. When I opened it in PSP I got a message
    'This PSD file contains unsupported features' and instead of layers I just have the one background layer. Any ideas?
    Denise

Gallery
    View images
    Hi Denise!

It may be that Paint Shop Pro does not support the same PSD file format features that we do, but at the very least we should be able to get a rough idea of what the particular aspect of the file is that PSP is having problems opening. It could also be that we are having a problem in ArtRage when writing your painting to PSD format. Loading a PSD file as a single layer file is pretty typical behavior for a number of applications if they're unable to interpret all of the features being used.

If possible, can you email me a copy of the ArtRage painting file to support@ambientdesign.com? That way I can have a look at what you are doing there and see if we can work out what's causing it / possibly make some suggestions / try loading it in Photoshop here, that sort of thing for you.
    Dave
    Resident Bug-Hunter
    Ambient Design

Gallery
    View images
    Hi silvertabbie, just an idea, I'm not sure it would work because I don't have Paint Shop Pro. Try this:

1. Do your layer work in AR on clear 100% opacity as usual.
    2. Then export each layer individually as an AR PNG, to a folder or desktop.
    3. All your layers will then be on clear backgrounds.
    4. Then try opening them individually in Paint Shop. and copy and paste
    one on top of the other. It works in photoshop, I don't know about Paint
    Shop. Best of luck, Tinzo

Gallery
    View images
    Hi Tinso,

That's a cool work-around.

I've never had a problem moving between Photoshop and ArtRage and visa versa. Meaning I can save and open a psd file with layers and transparency in either of the two programs without doing any of that.

Have you had compatibility problems with ArtRage/Photoshop files?

Would hate to do a painting with a deadline and then discover it's not going to behave.

Gallery
    View images
    There is also a known bug in the ArtRage PSD exporter relating to Layer names. ArtRage doesn't use named layers, so when we export the PSD we just ignore that 'chunk' of the PSD format. Photoshop is fine with that, but some other applications which read the PSD format require that chunk to be present.
    ArtRage 2.5 solves that bug so ArtRage PSDs should have better compatibility with other applications.
    AndyRage's mantra for graphics engine code:
    "Sure - how hard can it be?"

Gallery
    View images
    Wonderful. Thanks for the explanation.

Gallery
    View images

ArtRage and PaintShopPro

Hi Tinso,
    Thanks for your suggestion. I am able to bring layers into psp if I bring them in one by one. I wonder if there is any one out there using PSP that has run across the same problem with bringing in a file with several layers.
    Denise

Gallery
    View images
    D Akey, hi, no I don't have any problems between PS and AR, I was just trying to help our friend with his problem. As you say there's nothing worse than finding you can't do a certain thing in an application, especially when working to a deadline.