ArtRage 5 Product PageArtRage Lite Product PageArtRage for iOS Product PageArtRage for Android Product PageArtRage  Android Oil Painter Free Product PageArtRage  Free Demos Page

Thread: Using the transform Tool - Rotation

Using the transform Tool - Rotation

Is it possible to rotate a Selection or a Stencil using the Transform tool in 4.5. I can see how to alter the shape using the tool but I do not see any indication of how to rotate. If I open a menu with a Right click Rotate appears to be greyed out and not selectable.

Once you have made your selection or have a stencil ready.
    Select the Transform tool.
    Open it's settings panel and choose in which mode you want it to work; Normal, Non-Uniform & Perspective. (this setting will then always be used until you change it again).
    Now touch/click inside the selected area or anywhere on the desired stencil.
    The transform bounding box will now be available. Depending on which mode it is working in there will be handles on each side and the corners or just the corners.
    Clicking and pulling on a handle will allow you to squash/stretch/resize and clicking and pulling just outside the transform box near a corner will allow you to rotate it. (the cursor will change to a small circular arrow for this).
    Maker Of Replica Macoys

Techie Stuff:
    ArtRage 5.0.5 ~ 15" Macbook Pro
    + 22" HD Monitor ~ macOS 10.12.6 ~ 4 Core i7 3.1GHz CPU ~ 16GB RAM ~ Wacom Intuos4 M and a Spyder4Pro (to keep the colours true!)

RE-Transform Tool

Quote Originally Posted by markw View Post
    Once you have made your selection or have a stencil ready.
    Select the Transform tool.
    Open it's settings panel and choose in which mode you want it to work; Normal, Non-Uniform & Perspective. (this setting will then always be used until you change it again).
    Now touch/click inside the selected area or anywhere on the desired stencil.
    The transform bounding box will now be available. Depending on which mode it is working in there will be handles on each side and the corners or just the corners.
    Clicking and pulling on a handle will allow you to squash/stretch/resize and clicking and pulling just outside the transform box near a corner will allow you to rotate it. (the cursor will change to a small circular arrow for this).
    Mark - Many thanks for that very comrehensive reply. That is just what I was needing.

Lynda.com author, Digital Tutors instructor
    Similar situation. Question. How do I rotate a selection?

For example, I am doing a lot of perspective drawings. Here is a cube like shape and I need to create an ellipse that follows my perspective. How do I accomplish that?

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Screen Shot 2015-04-07 at 1.07.50 PM.jpg 
Views:	62 
Size:	110.3 KB 
ID:	86112

ArtRage4.5.9 MACPRO (El Capitan), Wacom Cintiq 13HD, iPad3, Note 4, Wacom Intous & Nomad Brush Compose.
    ArtRage Courses: Intro to AR, Materials in AR, Portraits in AR (http://tinyurl.com/j6cyvwx)

They might have a more direct method but what I've been doing with playing around with transforming selections is to make the selection on a separate layer, fill it to make a mask, transform the layers contents and rotate this, then select the layer's contents to make an ellipse selection in perspective. It's a long way around it, but I don't do too much in perspective like this terribly often so it's not as much of a difficult issue for me. Hope that helps!

Yep, there's currently no direct way to transform a selection. You can move a selection if it's on Replace mode by clicking and dragging inside it (outside draws a new selection; using a different mode means you can select within a selection, so this doesn't work).

You can easily create and transform shapes that you then use the Magic Wand to select, much as Delofasht suggests, or use the Stencils (there are some ovals in there).
    Ambient Design Tech Support & Community Manager

This is not my signature.

Go forth and read the tutorials. Also, check out the featured artists!

Just found an even easier way to rotate an ellipse, rotate the canvas (using alt+ctrl) then make the ellipse selection with the tool. If you need to adjust for perspective on other shapes however I would refer to the previous method of creating a mask and transforming it. Luckily, circles in perspective are ellipses, so this should allow you to fix some of the issue, though for 3 point perspective you may need to make a mask and then transform it. Hope that helps some, I know it will stick in my head for years as one of the easiest solutions I'd never thought of before.

Edit: Upon using both methods I'm a little more partial to the Mask, Transform, select layer contents route to making these kinds of ellipses in perspective, and it takes basically the same amount of time as making the selection and adjusting it in other software. Both are useful for different things though.

- Delo
    Last edited by Delofasht; 04-09-2015 at 05:00 PM. Reason: quick note I forgot

Lynda.com author, Digital Tutors instructor
    Maybe I'm not doing this correctly. My selections rotate along with the canvas as I rotate the canvas. If my selection would remain independent to the canvas orientation then I could use it with more efficiency.

I'm trying to force ArtRage into an alien workflow I guess. You do know what I am trying to make it do. It's not easy to explain. I appreciate your suggestion.

I put in a request for future release with the ability to transform a selection with rotation, scaling, aspect ratio. Even better would be to add distortion to a selection.

Then I could eliminate several workaround steps and extra layers to get the job done.

ArtRage4.5.9 MACPRO (El Capitan), Wacom Cintiq 13HD, iPad3, Note 4, Wacom Intous & Nomad Brush Compose.
    ArtRage Courses: Intro to AR, Materials in AR, Portraits in AR (http://tinyurl.com/j6cyvwx)

Hum… Here's another thought to try while we wait for AR to catch up with our desires.
    From Stencils > Shapes load the Circle stencil.
    Re-size and re-shape it over your lines by squashing, stretching and rotating it.
    (There are Ellipse stencils in there too but you would still probably need to transform them too to get the best shape and also the circle takes up the least screen space).
    Finally, depending on what you are trying for, choose one of the stencil's modes of use and/or invert it. For example Guide mode to just draw the ellipse.
    Last edited by markw; 04-10-2015 at 07:23 AM.
    Maker Of Replica Macoys

Techie Stuff:
    ArtRage 5.0.5 ~ 15" Macbook Pro
    + 22" HD Monitor ~ macOS 10.12.6 ~ 4 Core i7 3.1GHz CPU ~ 16GB RAM ~ Wacom Intuos4 M and a Spyder4Pro (to keep the colours true!)